Looking back at Lincolnshires own 'Suez Crisis'

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Looking back at the ship that was stuck in a Lincolnshire river for more than a month 20 years ago - Lincolnshire Live

24937517_2000-12-14_FOR-STOCK-Please-credit_-Mariti.jpg

The 92 metre-long German-owned cargo ship entered the swinging basin at the port to be swung before it could berth, but within seconds it began to ground following "inappropriate manoeuvring."

It's bow (front-end) grounded at a distance from the opposite bank equal to the ship's length and once a tide caught the ship's stern (rear-end), it was effectively 'wedged' in position.

Later that same day (December 13, 2000), a combination of the weight of its cargo and the falling tide caused the ship to break its back and settle further into the river with each tide.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

How kind of the local paper to explain to its readership what the technical terms "bow" and "stern" mean.

56 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is the Fenland council (Inbred and proud)

They didn't explain what 'swinging' is in Fenland (other than that it involves "inappropriate manoeuvring").

?

Edited by David Mack

47 minutes ago, David Mack said:

They didn't explain what 'swinging' is in Fenland (other than that it involves "inappropriate manoeuvring").

?

I assume it's what is known as "winding" on the canals. I remember that the term was used for the turn which the Newhaven ferry made in the harbour, so perhaps it's a lumpy-water term.

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

I assume it's what is known as "winding" on the canals. I remember that the term was used for the turn which the Newhaven ferry made in the harbour, so perhaps it's a lumpy-water term.

There use to be a dolphin to swing on in Lowestoft

58 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Do swingers still exist, or are they all doggers nowadays?

Oh dear!    Perhaps you might have been better posting in the horse racing topic after all.   I thought you knew something about that?

(genuine question by the way, you have spoken about watching it quite a lot?) 

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Whoops a daisy. At least it sounds as if the crew got ashore safely. 

According to the local rag (squeezed in between the crossword and the list of late night chemists).  Apparently, the Master and crew abandoned her - and disappeared, last seen legging it across the flat lands towards "Anywhere but here!"

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are a lot of quiet car parks around Worksop Woods & Clumber Park, both very handy for anyone in Worksop.

Hodsock. Situated between Blyth and Worksop Notts. Small wooded area but at nights mainly weekends couple of serious doggers there ...
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Looking back at the ship that was stuck in a Lincolnshire river for more than a month 20 years ago - Lincolnshire Live

24937517_2000-12-14_FOR-STOCK-Please-credit_-Mariti.jpg

The 92 metre-long German-owned cargo ship entered the swinging basin at the port to be swung before it could berth, but within seconds it began to ground following "inappropriate manoeuvring."

It's bow (front-end) grounded at a distance from the opposite bank equal to the ship's length and once a tide caught the ship's stern (rear-end), it was effectively 'wedged' in position.

Later that same day (December 13, 2000), a combination of the weight of its cargo and the falling tide caused the ship to break its back and settle further into the river with each tide.

I posted comments and a link to this incident on March 26th on the Suez Canal closure thread. At the time it caused a lot of interest and I saw it on a few occasions when passing through Sutton Bridge. Thank goodness it didn’t happen to Ever Given!

Howard 

14 hours ago, Athy said:

It was a fairly common term in our neck of the woods on the southern GU in the 60s - as also was 'to chuck round/around', though that sort of implied it was somewhere wide enough to motor round in one hit such as Brentford Depot.

Tam

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

Ships swing when anchored so it’s a sea rather than canal terminology.

Exactly. Rather than being described as a winding hole for somewhere a ship can turn in confined waters such as docks and rivers the term “Turning Basin” is frequently used. 

Howard