Reflex Stove problem

Pete-T

Featured Posts

I'm having a problem lighting my Reflex Stove. I follow all the manual instructions, however cannot see any fuel being released into the bottom of the pot initially. All the necessary fuel cocks are open and my fuel tank is full but I suspect the pump may not be working as I cannot hear it or feel any vibration . Does anyone have contact details for a Reflex engineer in the Warwickshire area who I could call out to help?

Are you sure you have a pump? Many are gravity fed and one supplier trumpets that they need no electricity to work. If it is gravity fed it may have its own fuel tank somewhere.

The flow control valve may have tripped out it the needle valve leaked when not in use, check how to reset it if it needs it.

Have you read the "how to service" link  gave you to this forum yet?

I am answering this query in two places at once. The OP confirms there is a pump so this is my reply from the Magazine forum:

If there is a pump it will be electric and almost certainly have its own on-off switch so that switch needs finding. If there is no switch it will be relying on the needle valve in the control unit remaining 100% fuel tight. The pump almost certainly will be of the diaphragm type that ticks when it runs because they only use a pulse of electricity when the valve has used up the fuel from the last pulse so during running it uses the minimal amount of electricity. You need to see if any electricity is getting to the pump. A 12V light bulb with two wires or a multimeter set to 20V DC (200V for a 24V system) and connected to the two wires feeding the pump will soon tell you. Now this type of pump is known to stick so once you know it has an electrical supply try giving it a few blows with the heel of a shoe because that often frees them and allows them to work for a while. If you are new to bating I must urge you to bite the bullet and start doing it yourself. Buying a multimeter and learning how to use it would be a good first step if you don't have one. You will need one to help diagnose the inevitable battery and water pump problems you will face. Instructions in the electrical notes on www.tb-training.co.uk (free to download and print). If you really can't face trying to sort it yourself then I think Calcutt Boats will either do it for you or know a many who can. Rose Narrowboats are another possibility but you will have to take your boat to either of them. If it is the pump then once you have established it has electricity I suspect a car type electric fuel pump will do the job and not cost too much money.

Have you tried moving the scraper (L shaped rod behind the stove by the fuel inlet) rapidly in and out? The feed tube often gets blocked with burnt deposits and the scraper rod is designed to remove the blockage.

Leave the rod in the out position to avoid heat travelling up it from the burner pot and damaging the O ring.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

I am not sure there may not be some confusion. I have been looking at the Reflex website and it makes no mention of a fuel pump, its all about the remote fuel tank, but there is talk of a circulating pump for the central heating on a wet system. So could the OP be confused about this pump and what its for?

23 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I am not sure there may not be some confusion. I have been looking at the Reflex website and it makes no mention of a fuel pump, its all about the remote fuel tank, but there is talk of a circulating pump for the central heating on a wet system. So could the OP be confused about this pump and what its for?

The standard oil drip stoves (Refleks, Kabola etc) do not need a pump, it is one of their advantages. However,when used with the optional heat exchanger coil to supply heat to external radiators, they need a pump if the CH circuit is not capable of circulating the water without one.

As I said in my earlier post, the most likely fault is that the supply tube is blocked and liberal use of the scraper rod will clear it.

If it is not that, then the filter under the stove may be blocked (or the optional inline filter if fitted), or the thermocouple overide button may not be being pressed in hard enough.

Edited by cuthound
Phat phingers

I am sure that you are most likely correct but I think the OP may not fully understand his system or if he is correct about a fuel pump, and he may well be, it's non-standard after market part. I want him to try to make sure he knows what he has and how it works because if he calls an engineer out for any problem that crops up it is going to very inconvenient and it will really cost him

• Greenie 1

• 1 year later...

Just to round this topic up for anyone having similar problems.

I can confirm that regardless of what is said about there being no need for a pump, my system does have one. I checked it as Tony suggested and it is working fine. I must commend Lockgate stoves for suggesting solutions for the lack of fuel problem via e mail, when these did not work I was contacted by an engineer who talked me through the process of stripping down the regulator and clearing the internal valves and filters.

Stove now works perfectly.

So I would recommend anyone with stove problems to make contact with Lockgate they have obviously upped their game for customer support, I have nothing but the highest praise for them.

• Greenie 1