Water detection cream?

Featured Posts

Remember boats tend to trim down by the stern and also list so any water will tend to be at the lowest point and that moves about as you do. Sludge and bug slime may not move about so it's best to use the tube to "vacuum" the whole of the tank base.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Remember boats tend to trim down by the stern and also list so any water will tend to be at the lowest point and that moves about as you do. Sludge and bug slime may not move about so it's best to use the tube to "vacuum" the whole of the tank base.

Cheers Tony. Will get a longer copper pipe so i can sweep around a bit... as ever thank you for your valued advice.

10 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Not a wetvac. Lots of simple cheap hand pumps around. An example for £10, which I've not used, but can't be bothered finding the one I have on-line. Use some 8mm copper pipe so you are sure the intake side is at the bottom of the tank and pump in to a clear jar till you get diesel, not water.

Jen

Edited to add: Or this for £8. Lots of others.

Not sure why you're quoting me? I never suggested using a wetvac. That was Tracy D'arth. I merely stated that if one used a wetvac to suck the crap out of a diesel tank it would never be able to be used for anything else again.

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Thanks for all the replies. Been looking about the house today and have some 18mm steel tube I can use although not as long as I'd like. Is it ok to have just enough to reach the bottom of the tank or have people needed to 'search about' in the tank when siphoning?  I thought if it just stays in one place then eventually it would pickup all the water (and bits also being 18mm wide) - I'd cut castle shapes or an angle in the bottom of the pipe so it sits flush to the tank floor its still effective... does that make sense??

For my domestic heating oil tank I have a 15mm copper pipe with the bottom end bent to just less than 90 degree angle, with the end of the pipe hammered flat, so there is a narrow slot in the end, parallel to the bottom of the tank. Periodically I siphon off the water from the bottom until I start to draw up oil.

• Greenie 1

If you are going to use a pump, 18mm or even 15mm pipe is a bit on the large side. Liquid moving through suction works totally to liquid being pumped . Something like 10mm will still give a good performance, and a flexible pvc tube can be taped to a rigid rod to enable you to get to the bottom. And if you place your thumb over the open end as you insert the tube, you wont fill it with clean fuel to start with.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

If you are going to use a pump, 18mm or even 15mm pipe is a bit on the large side. Liquid moving through suction works totally to liquid being pumped . Something like 10mm will still give a good performance, and a flexible pvc tube can be taped to a rigid rod to enable you to get to the bottom. And if you place your thumb over the open end as you insert the tube, you wont fill it with clean fuel to start with.

thanks, yes with the recommendations above i've ordered some 10mm copper pipe with some flexible host to siphon into a 5litre clear container i have....