Dodgy Ebay Seller?

David Mack

Featured Posts

This chap currently has 964 items listed for sale on Ebay. On the first couple of pages there are lots of cheap boats - narrow boats and others. Many are priced at £1.12, which seems a rather odd figure to set as an opening bid. There is one 28 foot narrowboat listed twice and a 38 foot Dutch barge, with two lots of bidding going on. Click on any of the narrowboats listed and there is no information on the boat, just the same statement that the Buy It Now price is £3,300. 

So what's going on?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?sid=rattyontour&isRefine=true&_pgn=1

Edited by David Mack

I think this site, or one like unto it, has featured in these pages before. Apparently what they do is take the photos from existing, honest sales listings and pass them off as their own, then pocket the payment and disappear cackling over the horizon. The adage "If it looks too good to be true, then it probably is" probably applies here.

Google image search shows a number of items have shamelessly been ripped off from elsewhere.

Definitely dodgy.

Hoping somebody buys and sends the money or at least deposit.

Crook.

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

This chap currently has 964 items listed for sale on Ebay. On the first couple of pages there are lots of cheap boats - narrow boats and others. Many are priced at £1.12, which seems a rather odd figure to set as an opening bid. There is one 28 foot narrowboat listed twice, with two lots of bidding going on. Click on any of the narrowboats listed and there is no information on the boat, just the same statement that the Buy It Now price is £3,300. 

So what's going on?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?sid=rattyontour&isRefine=true&_pgn=1

the listing suggests people to buy directly from his site, not bid on ebay...  very dodgy indeed. Please report it to ebay.

I wonder why Ebay can't see it and act without it needing reporting to them. This sort of thing will never be stopped until the likes of Ebay are made jointly responsible for the listing so they would have to pay if the scammer did not. It works for credit card sales.

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

I wonder why Ebay can't see it and act without it needing reporting to them. This sort of thing will never be stopped until the likes of Ebay are made jointly responsible for the listing so they would have to pay if the scammer did not. It works for credit card sales.

Ebay has millions of listing, and dont think they can automate this sort of fraud detection... this needs human intervention

Just now, restlessnomad said:

Ebay has millions of listing, and dont think they can automate this sort of fraud detection... this needs human intervention

More like not financially worth the investment required until they are faced with loosing money. They could employ hundreds of human checkers or even thousands but if they did the expense would maybe make it more expensive to sell via them than via bricks and mortar.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

They could easily use algorithms to detect certain words strings. In fact they already do to prevent certain listings.

19 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

More like not financially worth the investment required until they are faced with loosing money. They could employ hundreds of human checkers or even thousands but if they did the expense would maybe make it more expensive to sell via them than via bricks and mortar.

guess that answers your question...

if you want to make a scalable platform like that (where lower resistance/barrier to listing is important) you cant really rely on humans to check every listing, they all are trying to automate some stuff with various level of success(fb, youtube etc)... the equivalent of brick and mortar will be to accuse your local market of cheating you when one vendor did it. (Not saying such legislation cant be brought in, with enough public pressure or lobbying from rivals.)

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

This one made i larf

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144003467726

may be some people are bidding on it just for fun... :)

5 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

may be some people are bidding on it just for fun... :)

As was done on TB when a members stolen goods were spotted on eBay.

Its a good sport.

If enough people report a few then they will get taken down

and the domain for his email is obviously not dodgy

Domain Name: wshop.live
Registry Domain ID: 06fc443c744b472b8c3783092af455ee-DONUTS
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.namecheap.com
Registrar URL: https://www.namecheap.com/
Updated Date: 2021-03-30T19:51:52Z
Creation Date: 2021-03-25T19:51:39Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2022-03-25T19:51:39Z
Registrar: NameCheap, Inc.
Registrar IANA ID: 1068
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@namecheap.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.6613102107
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Name: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Organization: Privacy service provided by Withheld for Privacy ehf
Registrant Street: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant City: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant State/Province: Capital Region
Registrant Postal Code: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Country: IS
Registrant Phone: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Phone Ext: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Fax: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Fax Ext: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Email: Please query the RDDS service of the Registrar of Record identified in this output for information on how to contact the Registrant, Admin, or Tech contact of the queried domain name.

There are scammers everywhere. It is a sad fact of life. We may never stop them but we can limit their effect by reporting them.

Organisations like eBay do take action when scammers are reported . . .

43 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

The Ebay account has been hijacked, The real owner has been a member since 04 and has feedback dating back years.

To get round the algorithms the text is often a picture of text,

How do you insert an image into the auction description? Rather than uploading them to the specific image upload section of the selling page?

They wont even let you insert a link there, or rather they didnt when I last tried.

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

How do you insert an image into the auction description? Rather than uploading them to the specific image upload section of the selling page?

They wont even let you insert a link there, or rather they didnt when I last tried.

IT is  possable using the busness tools instead of the private sales tools

This is the same old scam of hijacked account @Hudds Lad and myself were talking about in thread below, page 3

Looks as though they have thrown the same hundreds of listings up on yet another account, this time at £1.12, was £1.14 on the drop of them last time. Using same recent reg'd domain name rather than some random gmail account. As for the sales text and email being the final picture, this will be to avoid ad being pulled. Legit ads shouldn't show phone number or email etc in the body or pics, but easier for it to be picked up in the description. You're not supposed to send it by message either. Can be an absolute pain if you want to let someone view something before they make a bid.

Just one of the many scams on ebay. Lot of cars like this and always a mobile number in the pictures. I have only followed one of these up once just to see what happened and they say the car is somewhere where you can't easily look at it like North Scotland. Can't be bothered to  report them anymore. I suppose they must pay the listing fees. To be fair to Ebay I have only had two problems in 15 years and in both cases got a full refund. At least its not so much of a nuisance as all the scam calls you get now.

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Well his listings are still up despite several of us reporting them. Ebay are only there to make money and how they do it is of no interest to the owners.

Which kind of proves my point. They will try to do absolutely nothing until it costs them. If you advertised a stolen item on behalf of a criminal I bet you would end up in court as well as the crim, it seems not to apply to theses online sites.

• Greenie 1

reporting the listings is like whack-a-mole, you need to report the seller. i clicked through the eBay Safety Centre page and went for the Contact Us option only to be told their server is down, yet oddly everything else works ?