Let The Madness Commence. April 12th.

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

Indeed, he is careful near the old ramp as he fell down it there a couple of years ago ?

Still came up with his cap on though.

This one is off to Newark, that's North of Watford Gap.

Did you really just get called a southerner Matty ?

It's not that bad being one, honestly. Except we're a bit short on canals in Kent. There's always the Mudway of course ?

We had plans to bring Iona to it once upon a time but chickened out because of the wide, tidal lumpy stuff on the way.

13 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

Came through Leicester today. It seems that Covid has changed where people moor, along with so much else. Both sets of pontoon moorings completely empty, and two boats on the towpath side of the straight mile. No boats at all in Birstall. I won the sweepstake for number of moving boats encountered whilst passing through Leicester from Kings Lock to Junction Lock with a grand total of .... zero.

MP.

Then I can hope that my London prediction is true, and I get it all to myself! ?

10 hours ago, Ally said:

Enjoy our river ?

Your river is looking very pretty this morning.

MP.

3 hours ago, Dave_P said:

Then I can hope that my London prediction is true, and I get it all to myself! ?

Just keep believing.

MP.

3 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Queued for 3 lockfulls at braunston today, thinking this will be horrendous,  came  down one lock at buckby and tied.

5 hrs post tie up no one past. Empty at the top of buckby and spaces on the leicester cut.

Paint and polish this pm no pint. New Inn not open till 29 april.

Craig is too buy writing a survey report.

I got home at 4.40pm and not a single boat has come by(6.20pm). Kathy said it's been non stop madness all day.?

We came out of Great Haywood this afternoon, were surprised to see moorings available above and below Haywood lock, Rugeley was almost empty and Handsacre was empty. Quite a few boats coming towards us, mostly Ginger hire boats.

10 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Don’t come to South Oxford Canal. We are South of Banbury. Between Lift Bridge 170 and the M40 there must be fifteen or more boats. It was quiet here on Tuesday when we arrived.

Bring back Winter please.

I think it’s great people are out & about. I have it on good authority some newbie boaters...well continuous moorers... have contacted CRT moaning about boats going past them...I wish this was a joke but sadly not. 

Just now, frangar said:

I think it’s great people are out & about. I have it on good authority some newbie boaters...well continuous moorers... have contacted CRT moaning about boats going past them...I wish this was a joke but sadly not. 

I have not moaned, but we has a hire boat from Napton pass us southbound on Wednesday at I must estimate to be nye on full power, yesterday afternoon the same boat, same speed went past Northbound. I do wonder if hire bases emphasised passing speeds.

Anyway, it made me check my safety pins. 

18 minutes ago, frangar said:

Funny you should say that, I was out last week on a newly painted boat testing the newly fitted throttle handle for reported slip and rudder for wobble.

I took it to the local winding hole past all the fossilised boats near the waterpoint at tick over. Once past, and when turning, was testing the customer comments. I came back through the bridge, throttling up and down in forward and reverse, seeing when it slipped. By the time I got near the first moored boat I was back in tickover and saw him burst out of his front doors...( he had heard the noise and felt the waves)..."oy you, you arsehole, slow down", I was virtually stationary, the last test having been in reverse...slipping to tickover.

I duly noted that he may find it better to leave his centre line on his roof rather than moor with 3 lines, more abuse so I tickovered on.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

On 16/04/2021 at 18:05, gatekrash said:

That's Andy, who runs forge studio's boat. Mike, you must be somewhere close to us, down at Tibberton at the moment. Back to Droitwich tomorrow.

Sorry, had finished reading the forum before you posted.  Also, my hearing is a problem at the moment (just wax build up I hope) so by the time my translator passed on your message it was too late!  Trust you did not think me unduly rude.  . .

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes its fab on the south Oxford at the moment. Lots of boats pulling in here for beer!!

You would say that wouldn’t you Mr Tim! To be honest, I could have murdered a beer today. Superb weather and temperatures.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

Sorry, had finished reading the forum before you posted.  Also, my hearing is a problem at the moment (just wax build up I hope) so by the time my translator passed on your message it was too late!  Trust you did not think me unduly rude.  . .

No problem, I think you were almost past before I spotted the boat name and it took a while for my brain to connect the boat name with the forum name. Hope you had a good day, it was quite busy going back towards Droitwich today, I think we were going against the flow, but the weather was stunning and made it a great day to be out.

Unsurprisingly it was pretty busy around Sawley and Cranfleet yesterday! Quite entertaining watching everyone cruise out of the Soar, up towards the pontoons outside Trent lock then hastily turn around when they saw they were 3 boats deep already and make for Cranfleet where there is always space (but you have to use pins further down).

We spent a couple of hours at Farndon at lunchtime expecting there to be loads of boats about with the beautiful weather.

Only saw a couple on the move all the time we were there.

Certainly no where near as busy as we expected. 

We're on the weaver avoiding all the stoppages but no great problem as we love the river. Very quiet down here with not many boats moving and they are improving the lock opening times from tomorrow. What's not to like ? We were a wee bit surprised not to see signs about the T & M being closed at bridge 200 . We moored just past the lift and walked along to look at the stoppage but couldn't get near as the towpath was closed with a big wooden construction. 

Several boats came past unaware of the stoppage and seemed glad when we told them as it saved a long reverse. We had expected to see signs at Anderton about the canal closure but didn't see any.

Haggis

It seems most people have only been out of the marina for a short test run or in some cases a number of short test runs . Not the mad rush for freedom that I had expected.

At one point yesterday afternoon quite a few boats moving but it was  short lived .

Perhaps 1st May will be a busier   time.

In the meantime a drop of rain (overnight of course ) would be welcome.