Let The Madness Commence. April 12th.

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Rivers are wonderful things, few boats, deep water and a 7mph speed limit on the one I am on ;)

no limit on tidal Ribble or Wyre, hence why it went a bit crazy when the lake district  restrictions came in 15? years ago. Room for everyone ?

12 hours ago, john6767 said:

In my experience they do, it is called an “executors account”, you sometimes have to push the bank to give you one as they are free. You used to need the account to be “Executors of xxxxx” so you could pay in cheques that were payable to the deceased person, but I guess you don’t often get cheques now.

I didn’t find it necessary, all the organisations I dealt with were perfectly happy with an account in my name (I was sole executor), and most paid out by BACS transfer. I think there were only one or two cheques, and for those the forms asked who the cheque should be payable to.

30 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

I didn’t find it necessary, all the organisations I dealt with were perfectly happy with an account in my name (I was sole executor), and most paid out by BACS transfer. I think there were only one or two cheques, and for those the forms asked who the cheque should be payable to.

Ditto.

I just used a standard ordinary current account. Everything was done via Bacs.

Just about to cycle back to house for probate zoom. An amateur did my fathers probate, ( my mother) i  and my sister ended up sending money from my earnings to hmrc for 7 years to pay death duty.

Solicitors have advised there  are issues.

Sounds like fun. Maybe ill have to sell the boat in which case I will name it Liability.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, AndrewIC said:

That is what I said, perhaps other than for compliance you not need to do it so much now, as not much will be by cheque.  If the executor is the sole beneficiary you may decide not to get one, but if there are multiple beneficiaries you need to be careful to protect yourself, and I would say an executors account is one part of doing that.  If I had to do one again I would still get an executors account I think, I can’t see why not it is free.

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

Is that Rob trying to push on the rope?

Indeed, he is careful near the old ramp as he fell down it there a couple of years ago ?

Still came up with his cap on though.

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Ahhh You could be right.....i looked at it on my phone and those widebeams all look the same!?

This one is off to Newark, that's North of Watford Gap.

On 15/04/2021 at 15:53, Dave_P said:

Yesterday afternoon there were about 2-3 every ten minutes going past me at Norton Junction on the GU.  A bit quieter today, but still a few per hour.  Judging by Moomin's comment above, they're mainly avoiding the Leicester line.  Maybe people think Leicester is still locked down, like it was last summer.

Came through Leicester today. It seems that Covid has changed where people moor, along with so much else. Both sets of pontoon moorings completely empty, and two boats on the towpath side of the straight mile. No boats at all in Birstall. I won the sweepstake for number of moving boats encountered whilst passing through Leicester from Kings Lock to Junction Lock with a grand total of .... zero.

MP.

On 15/04/2021 at 10:45, Athy said:

I've never seen one called that, but I have seen 'Inheritance' and 'Legacy'. Where there's a will....

Still no Fox boats past here. Either their hire season hasn't started yet, or Salter's Lode is silted up so they're sending their hirers in the Peterborough direction.

Whilst amused by this part of the thread, I could not recall; ever having seen a boat called Inheritance. So it was somewhat strange that today, hvaign made our first visit to the boat in months, spotted one at Dunhampstead this afternoon on our annual shakedown cruise!

apr16-04.jpg

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Whilst amused by this part of the thread, I could not recall; ever having seen a boat called Inheritance. So it was somewhat strange that today, hvaign made our first visit to the boat in months, spotted one at Dunhampstead this afternoon on our annual shakedown cruise!

apr16-04.jpg

"Speak of the devil....", as the saying goes.

9 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

apr16-04.jpg

That's Andy, who runs forge studio's boat. Mike, you must be somewhere close to us, down at Tibberton at the moment. Back to Droitwich tomorrow.

2 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

Came through Leicester today. It seems that Covid has changed where people moor, along with so much else. Both sets of pontoon moorings completely empty, and two boats on the towpath side of the straight mile. No boats at all in Birstall. I won the sweepstake for number of moving boats encountered whilst passing through Leicester from Kings Lock to Junction Lock with a grand total of .... zero.

MP.

Birstall has become a bit of a no go mooring due to the local yoof penchant for jumping on and rocking boats at night, and a couple of untyings as well in the autumn.

16 minutes ago, gatekrash said:

That's Andy, who runs forge studio's boat. Mike, you must be somewhere close to us, down at Tibberton at the moment. Back to Droitwich tomorrow.

Actually Mike, I've just twigged who you are, we went past you yesterday as we were going down and again today with your novice boater as we were on the way back up through Offerton.

29 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Birstall has become a bit of a no go mooring due to the local yoof penchant for jumping on and rocking boats at night, and a couple of untyings as well in the autumn.

I say send the yoofa Birstall to Borstal!

MP.

3 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

MP.

Did you stop at Birstall, or have you passed me already? (Junction of soar/wreake, syston side.) Oh, no, just realised you mentioned junction lock so you've passed us.

Edited by Ally

1 hour ago, Ally said:

Did you stop at Birstall, or have you passed me already? (Junction of soar/wreake, syston side.) Oh, no, just realised you mentioned junction lock so you've passed us.

We're on the moorings just above Junction Lock.

MP.