Let The Madness Commence. April 12th.

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Local pub has huge garden and was full tonite when we went, twas fab. Booked at other local for top nosh on thursday night. Life at last.

Don’t you go enjoying life....the naysayers will be along shortly saying we all need to be stuck indoors for ever more....

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, frangar said:

Don’t you go enjoying life....the naysayers will be along shortly saying we all need to be stuck indoors for ever more....

They will and we could all survive forever and move into caves without an economy ;)

26 minutes ago, Karen Lea Rainey said:

Walked along the Coventry this afternoon, (Tamworth) only saw 1 boat moving in just under 2 hours.

I'm going out Friday, hope it stays that peaceful next week.

Should be that way at the weekend

On 10/04/2021 at 15:49, David Mack said:

I can't imagine why anyone gets a bank or solicitor to do probate. My sister and I did Dad's. It was all perfectly straightforward, if tedious, contacting all the banks, financial institutions, insurers, utilities, pension providers and the like to get account balances etc. for probate, and then once probate was issued, contacting them all again to collect the money. I can't see any point in paying someone banker or solicitor rates to do all this work, especially when we would have had to identify all the organisations involved anyway.

My wife and I dealt with probate for my mother in laws estate. You are quite correct that you would end up doing the work even if involving a solicitor. Thankfully there was an uncomplicated will .

I had everything carefully worked out almost to the penny . We  received the approval  back within a week of submission.

14 minutes ago, MartynG said:

My wife and I dealt with probate for my mother in laws estate. You are quite correct that you would end up doing the work even if involving a solicitor. Thankfully there was an uncomplicated will .

I had everything carefully worked out almost to the penny . We  received the approval  back within a week of submission.

Same here. If the will is not complicated by things like foreign property ownership its pretty straightforward. Its easy at a very difficult time just to say 'sod it, let a solicitor sort it' I actually walked into a solicitors office at one point but because she was on the phone and busy I didnt wait and walked out.

The money saved was of benefit to the beneficiaries. In the end it proved to be a welcome distraction.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Local pub has huge garden and was full tonite when we went, twas fab. Booked at other local for top nosh on thursday night. Life at last.

A number of pubs around our way dont appear to have embraced the outside opening date, prefering to wait till the 17th of next month. The Ship at Saltburn did and they seemed busy but others dont seem to want to open until they can 'fully' open.

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

Yes, lots more boats moving today, hire, share and private, everyone enjoying themselves in the sunshine and nobody talking about probate.

Oh, and I had 2 cruises on different boats.

20210413_235414.jpg

That Kipor generator looks to be very precariously balanced. Its feet look to be hovering over the 'edge'

8 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

A number of pubs around our way dont appear to have embraced the outside opening date, prefering to wait till the 17th of next month. The Ship at Saltburn did and they seemed busy but others dont seem to want to open until they can 'fully' open.

Our lad isnt opening his until may 17th. It all depends on overheads and outside space. The pub we went to last evening has a huge garden with a purpose built outside bar so can operate well, they also are a proper pub as in beer with a small amount of food so easier to do. The lads pub takes serious money but mainly inside and its not worth him opening until he can operate one hundred percent. There were a lot of smiles here now people are getting their lives back and at the pub last night.

• Greenie 2

9 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Same here. If the will is not complicated by things like foreign property ownership its pretty straightforward. Its easy at a very difficult time just to say 'sod it, let a solicitor sort it' I actually walked into a solicitors office at one point but because she was on the phone and busy I didnt wait and walked out.

The money saved was of benefit to the beneficiaries. In the end it proved to be a welcome distraction.

You lot are just tight arses :D The viewpoint myself and my sister took was that we simply couldnt be arsed wasting our precious time messing about with admin, thats what admin staff are for. I cant remember how much the solicitor is charging us but iirc its a bit less than a grand and well worth not having the tedious paperwork excercise to comply with. We are all different and some people will do some things that others pay others to do. For instance I have never paid for an engine service on any boat wheras others do it as a matter of course. 

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You lot are just tight arses :D The viewpoint myself and my sister took was that we simply couldnt be arsed wasting our precious time messing about with admin, thats what admin staff are for. I cant remember how much the solicitor is charging us but iirc its a bit less than a grand and well worth not having the tedious paperwork excercise to comply with. We are all different and some people will do some things that others pay others to do. For instance I have never paid for an engine service on any boat wheras others do it as a matter of course. 

You should have asked I'd have done it for a lot less than a robbing solicitor will charge.

?

27 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Indeed, I wouldn’t trust our solicitor to do an engine service!?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

When my mum passed we let the solicitor do the probate. Mum had always hoarded paperwork, there were bank statements and share certificates dating back to the mid 70's. She'd had a friend who was an ex-bank manager and had dabbled in lots of small investments over the years on his advice and it was impossible to easily tell which were existing or cashed out. Also my wife works for one of the "big four" accountancy firms so there was a compliance issue once we inherited everything as potentially some of the shares were in their client companies.

we had done a lot of the legwork, but i was happy to hand over three full fileboxes of paper to someone else to sort out and chase down.

It took them around a month and a half to sort, and cost less than a grand, worth it for less stress and peace of mind.

• Greenie 2

43 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

When my mum passed we let the solicitor do the probate. Mum had always hoarded paperwork, there were bank statements and share certificates dating back to the mid 70's. She'd had a friend who was an ex-bank manager and had dabbled in lots of small investments over the years on his advice and it was impossible to easily tell which were existing or cashed out. Also my wife works for one of the "big four" accountancy firms so there was a compliance issue once we inherited everything as potentially some of the shares were in their client companies.

we had done a lot of the legwork, but i was happy to hand over three full fileboxes of paper to someone else to sort out and chase down.

It took them around a month and a half to sort, and cost less than a grand, worth it for less stress and peace of mind.

Completely agree. Thats why we have bods to do the work. For me its partly because years ago I had a crap job that was about forty percent paperwork and it had to be correct mainly as it was up for challenge in court. I hated the duplicity and mind numbing boredom of sitting doing paperwork even when it was a case with more unusual interest, it just got in the way of the job proper so I have ensured ever since that whatever I did involved minimum admin lol. I even got one of those ppi claim companies to do that for me as if I hadnt I would have got zero money as I would never have bothered. I would have gone insane if I had ever been an accountant or similar, mind numbing job.

• Greenie 1

Must say it does look like  a really nice day to go boating. However work is interfering with that  at the moment.

Compared to this time last year I now have  a nicer view out over the garden from my desk . Having a home office built and  a garden makeover has been my contribution to keeping the economy going.

There is  feeling that we are over the worst of Covid so  lets hope that proves to be the case .

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

Shares and foreign property ownership often add complications that make it more difficult for the DIY 'probater', true. There can be occasions when it may well be appropriate to engage a professional.

But when it involves disposing of a house, a car and some savings and dispersing them amongst the beneficiaries of the will it really can be straightforward. (But for me it wasn't a blood relative so I was perhaps a bit more detached from the person and accept if someone is it can be too upsetting to deal with).

The key is to keep careful records and accounts and receipts where appropriate. I just did this with an Excel spreadsheet. I opened a dedicated current account with the Halifax and everything went through that so nothing got tangled up with our own money. When the final payments were made to the beneficiaries I just closed the account.

One of the reasons Solicitors will store a will FOC is they will often use the opportunity of someone asking to access the will to 'sell' their services to manage the process. I could swear the guy on the reception at my MIL's solicitors actually looked really surprised and disappointed when I said I just want access to it and take it away to do it myself.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

9 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Shares and foreign property ownership often add complications that make it more difficult for the DIY 'probater', true. There can be occasions when it may well be appropriate to engage a professional.

But when it involves disposing of a house, a car and some savings and dispersing them amongst the beneficiaries of the will it really can be straightforward. (But for me it wasn't a blood relative so I was perhaps a bit more detached from the person and accept if someone is it can be too upsetting to deal with).

The key is to keep careful records and accounts and receipts where appropriate. I just did this with an Excel spreadsheet. I opened a dedicated current account with the Halifax and everything went through that so nothing got tangled up with our own money. When the final payments were made to the beneficiaries I just closed the account.

One of the reasons Solicitors will store a will FOC is they will often use the opportunity of someone asking to access the will to 'sell' their services to manage the process. I could swear the guy on the reception at my MIL's solicitors actually looked really surprised and disappointed when I said I just want access to it and take it away to do it myself.

I had a solicitor write my will and recently, following the death of an executor change it. Not sure why I didn't do it myself. I do keep certified copies after the bank lost mother in laws documents they were holding for her.

I had them do a Power of attorney for my mother some years ago. They made such a cockup that she died before they registered it.

Edited by ditchcrawler

10 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Same here, although they did agree to provide, at no charge, some certified copies which some of the companies wanted.