Let The Madness Commence. April 12th.

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Athy said:

No Fox boats have passed here yet, so I don't think they can have let them out yesterday. But then Sunday isn't a change-over day for them as far as I'm aware.

The lockdown was released from Monday so they would have gone against covid rules to let them out on Sunday

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Tonka said:

The lockdown was released from Monday so they would have gone against covid rules to let them out on Sunday

This as been discussed earlier (and possibly in a different thread) I think. The point was advanced that, if you took the boat out on the 11th, by the time you'd stayed the night on it, it would be the 12 and thus within the rules. I'll let the lawyers argue that one, but I do understand the point.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

This as been discussed earlier (and possibly in a different thread) I think. The point was advanced that, if you took the boat out on the 11th, by the time you'd stayed the night on it, it would be the 12 and thus within the rules. I'll let the lawyers argue that one, but I do understand the point.

For a boat owner I could understand but a reputable hire company I would expect not to. After all if we all start pushing the covid rules then we will be back in lockdown again.

• Greenie 2

After a flurry of hire boats at Calcutt locks, on the way to Braunston we only passed two UCC boats and two share boats.  So seems not many moving.

Now at Boat House having a beer and lunch in the sunshine.  Nice to be out of the house.

7 minutes ago, Tonka said:

For a boat owner I could understand but a reputable hire company I would expect not to. After all if we all start pushing the covid rules then we will be back in lockdown again.

I didn't say that I thought it was right, but I'm sure that such activity has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum.

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm not going out till next Wednesday. I do wonder if there will be anything left functioning by then! How do you break a lift bridge?

It is electrically operated or was until the electrics broke.

We are going out next week, or maybe we can cruise around the marina.

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm not going out till next Wednesday. I do wonder if there will be anything left functioning by then! How do you break a lift bridge?

It’s not so much the going out....it’s more will you ever make it back.....

3 hours ago, Big Bob W said:

We've just come down from Nether Heyford, through Stoke Bruerne, to Grafton Regis. Only seen 4 other boats on the move. 

The other way....

No boats past until 11am, then its been non stop since, with most of the Gayton hire and share boats gone past.

Pub garden full, and boaters back down in marina here .....it almost feels like normal again.

A dumper CCer, one which has been dumped at Heyford (2 miles away) since November, has now been dumped opposite me, probably for 2 weeks, when it will get dumped the other side of Weedon. It might get disappeared 50 yards backwards as its spoiling the view.

Edited by matty40s
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

All of kate boats went past while we were recommissioning this am. Assume heading right at wigrams turn.

we will bop off tomorrow if paint is dry enough and turn left .

As we came out of. Braunston back towards Napton at about 5:30, between the turn and Wolfhamcote we passed 2 Napton boats, 2 Calcutt boats, and 2 Kate Boats boats, so some did not get off until quite late.

Came through Fradley today, was saying to the volunteers how busy it suddenly felt compared to when I came through in mid march but they were complaining they'd only had 6 boats by lunchtime and felt it was too quiet! Perhaps everyone has been clever and waited 2 weeks to miss the rush, like last time?

At Smeaton Westerby. Bottom end of Foxton had one moored boat when we left yesterday and no moving boats at all. The majority of the mooring spots between Debdale and the Aqueduct has one or more liveaboard's hanging out, but plenty of room left. The only boats to pass were the Debdale training boat and one other, heading North, at dusk.

MP. 

9 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

That's been an issue for years . . .  re-building it does not seem to have had the desired effect.

Yes, especially in the winter! Had to lift it up manually one December with the help of several other people as water had got in the hydraulics.