Let The Madness Commence. April 12th.

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

Our sailing club has been steadily getting going since the 29th March, as an outdoor sports venue. Just a single toilet open with clubhouse and shower closed. People turning up more and more to do jobs on boats but everyone is really waiting for Monday when you can stay over on the boats and sail over a few tides. I imagine hire fleets, caravan/camp sites and cottages are all the same. Massive pent up demand. What are everyone's bets on the traffic in the Lake District/Devon/Norfolk etc tourist hotspots?

1 hour ago, BilgePump said:

What are everyone's bets on the traffic in the Lake District/Devon/Norfolk etc tourist hotspots?

Living in Devon, we're leaving it until mid week to go up to the boat cos the M5 will be insane tomorrow and Monday. Local news already giving out that all the local campsites are over booked for the last of the Easter hols week. We need to get up to the boat to take the Christmas decorations down though ?

We're probably only going to go a short distance down the W&B towards Worcester and get to one of our favourite mooring spots early in the day and then spend a couple of days there. There are 3 hire places near us, so we are expecting carnage on the cut but the hirers tend to get to the honey spot locations later in the day whereas hopefully we will be there before lunch and moored up before they get there. I'll be happy to just spend a couple of days sat on the boat watching the world go by with a beer garden close by ?

9 hours ago, gatekrash said:

Living in Devon, we're leaving it until mid week to go up to the boat cos the M5 will be insane tomorrow and Monday.

With luck all the traffic will be southbound on the M5 leaving me a clear run up to the Midlands on Tuesday.

I will be avoiding the beach when I return from the boat just not worth going there.

6 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Do not forget the schools in England are still on half term I believe

Er, I think it's the Easter holiday. Round here, they go back tomorrow.

Edited by Athy

it’ll be nice for you lot to get back to moaning about normal things, like hire boaters at locks, speeding boats, wide beams in odd places, leaky locks etc. :D 

with school hols and lockdown and how this years pick went, we don’t get any time on the boat until the first week in August (fingers crossed) and will have lost five of our eight weeks already. such are the swings and roundabouts of shareboating.

6 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

it’ll be nice for you lot to get back to moaning about normal things, like hire boaters at locks, speeding boats, wide beams in odd places, leaky locks etc. :D 

with school hols and lockdown and how this years pick went, we don’t get any time on the boat until the first week in August (fingers crossed) and will have lost five of our eight weeks already. such are the swings and roundabouts of shareboating.

We lost a week and a half last year, but if it all goes to plan, we may get all of this years allocation.  Two weeks coming up at the end of May/beginning of June and a week in October.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, davem399 said:

We lost a week and a half last year, but if it all goes to plan, we may get all of this years allocation.  Two weeks coming up at the end of May/beginning of June and a week in October.

If there are circumstances beyound your control do you not as a 'syndicate' reallocate the time available in proportion to your shares ?

Or, do you just say June & July are my 'weeks', sorry, you lost yours in March and April - its a tough life.

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If there are circumstances beyound your control do you not as a 'syndicate' reallocate the time available in proportion to your shares ?

Or, do you just say June & July are my 'weeks', sorry, you lost yours in March and April - its a tough life.

Oh and you lost yours in March and April last year. Who would of believed it. Bad luck

45 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes that’s what we did last year.  Several of the group lost weeks in the spring and early summer and we had a reallocation where others gave up weeks to those that lost out.  We had a week in September given up by one of the syndicate, having missed a fortnight in May.  A few weeks have been lost this year, so we may yet have another divvy up.

Edited by davem399
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, matty40s said:

Non stop shiny boats this morning, get away quick John 76767

Well that did not go to plan.  We were a bit late getting off, and came out of the marina at about 2pm, only to find that someone has just lifted one of the top gates at Calcutt top lock out of the cup, so the gate is sitting on the cill.  CRT are there and are going to try and lift it with a trolley jack, but not guaranteed to work in which case they will need to get a crane in tomorrow morning.  We decided not to wait and see what happens, and have gone down towards Stockton, and will try going up Calcutt in the morning.

Calcutt marina have 10 hire boats going out tomorrow, and I expect Kate Boats similar, it is rather ironic after all this time if it does not get fixed quickly.

• Horror 1

10 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Well that did not go to plan.  We were a bit late getting off, and came out of the marina at about 2pm, only to find that someone has just lifted one of the top gates at Calcutt top lock out of the cup, so the gate is sitting on the cill.  CRT are there and are going to try and lift it with a trolley jack, but not guaranteed to work in which case they will need to get a crane in tomorrow morning.  We decided not to wait and see what happens, and have gone down towards Stockton, and will try going up Calcutt in the morning.

Calcutt marina have 10 hire boats going out tomorrow, and I expect Kate Boats similar, it is rather ironic after all this time if it does not get fixed quickly.

Glad we went by last week!

By way of contrast, we came  under bridge 57 on the Leicester line, which was semi-demolished by a truck last week, and didn't so much as touch any submerged brickwork. If we can float in the bridge 'ole most folks can. The plan is to escape the madness towards Leicester and the Soar, then down the Trent. I'd not be surprised if we're the first boat for a long time beyond Kilby Bridge, so who knows what awaits us there.

MP.

ETA. Swanley No 1 lock on the Llangollen has failed today as well, according to the stoppages. More hire bases in crisis!

Edited by MoominPapa

17 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

The plan is to escape the madness towards Leicester and the Soar, then down the Trent. I'd not be surprised if we're the first boat for a long time beyond Kilby Bridge, so who knows what awaits us there.

I think we were about 1st boat down last August when they finally lifted their lockdown, loads of rubbish and little water.

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I think we were about 1st boat down last August when they finally lifted their lockdown, loads of rubbish and little water.

About what I was expecting.  Under such circumstances going down is a great advantage. Going down Camp Hill post lockdown we put the boat a lock and ran the contents of the pound we'd just left past it and into the empty pound we were heading for.