Advice on stove chimney

Featured Posts

A couple of years ago, we replaced the flue from our Morsø stove and we decided to replace the external removable chimney at the same time.

The flue is a standard steel product approximately 4.5 ins. external diameter purchased from Midland chandlers and did the job. The external chimney came from the same shop and appeared to fit well given that our collar is unconventionally sized. The external chimney had a inner liner that fits inside the flue and an outer wall that has an inside diameter of just over 6 ins to fit the spigot of the collar.

Sadly the external chimney has not lasted well and is already falling apart. We need to replace it and are looking for someone who could make one, preferably from stainless steel, that would last longer than a couple of years. Any suggestions please?

I can thoroughly recommend Simon Wain at Brinklow Boats.

Made ours out of stainless steel with an inner lining. Proper copper rivets, not the "pop" variety.

I wrapped the inner lining with exhaust bandage and secured it with fireproof expanding foam.

Made in 2014, still going strong.

Second picture: Midland Chandlers, LHS Simon's RHS

20140812_111624.jpg

DSCF1748.jpg

IMGP3271.JPG

Edited by Ray T

If you're not bothered about not having brass & red hoops then I suggest a short section of black vitreous enamel flue pipe that just fits inside your deck collar. If you can find one the right OD then the slightly wider diameter joint would support it on your collar. You would also need a stainless steel rain collar at the bottom just over the deck collar a bead of high temp silicone. You can paint it black with stove paint or engine paint, or probably find a black one online.

It might not be traditional but it will last a lot longer than any crappy narrowboat chimney. Mine is due to be replaced after more than 15 years.

image.png.7d7120c4258341de5eac2f03e1db1b9c.png

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

Anybody who can make a stainless steel tube without rollers has my respect. Horrible springy difficult stuff. I  don't go within a yard of the stuff without a box of Elastoplast and a heap of bandages.

On 09/04/2021 at 22:09, Cheshire cat said:

I'd also recommend The Little Chimney company. Afloat usually around Alvecote 

Me too. Their chimneys are very good quality and they can be made to measure if you give them your dimensions. 

Or if you want to visit them they usually moor on the Coventry canal in various places between the Ashby Canal junction and Fradley.

https://www.facebook.com/littlechimneycompany/

• Greenie 1

44 minutes ago, Grassman said:

Me too. Their chimneys are very good quality and they can be made to measure if you give them your dimensions. 

Or if you want to visit them they usually moor on the Coventry canal in various places between the Ashby Canal junction and Fradley.

Is it true that you cannot fit any chinamans hat to them but has to be one of their's

1 hour ago, Grassman said:

I second the recommendation 

15 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Is it true that you cannot fit any chinamans hat to them but has to be one of their's

I don't see why not, they will make one as part of the service but I see no reason why a cheapo swindlers version won't fit