water tank hatch

Featured Posts

Hello all,  I have a steel integral tank hatch to put back. The old screw holes are a bit rusted and on the flange on the deck, the holes have been filled and painted. 

Do you think it best to fill the old holes in the hatch and then tap new ones in-between? 

should I weld up old holes are use epoxy filler??   I'm guessing mig best but I don't have one

many thanks     Ed

Could you drill the original holes out in the deck flange oversize, re tap them and then open the lid holes out to the size of the new bolts / setscrews. I think it would be a lot more tidy than creating more holes and using epoxy. 

I fear that I will be facing a similar problem when I tackle a re-paint of my water tank in about 6 weeks time. When I last did it one of the tapped threads stripped and a couple of others felt distinctly iffy. Rivnuts are one option but I think I will secure steel strips inside the tank below the existing tapped holes. I can do this by securing the strips with countersunk screws. I will then drill out the existing tapped threads to clearance and drill/tap the steel strips. A jury rigged water supply will allow me to do this back on the mooring in my own time once the bitumen has dried.  Well, that's the plan anyway. ? 

20 hours ago, Kieron G said:

Could you drill the original holes out in the deck flange oversize, re tap them and then open the lid holes out to the size of the new bolts / setscrews. I think it would be a lot more tidy than creating more holes and using epoxy. 

This is exactly what we did last year and it has worked a treat. Made a rubber flange to seal the hatch but allow for easy access.