Another newspaper article about how good living on a boat can be

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Why I turned my life upside down and moved onto a houseboat (telegraph.co.uk)

Why I turned my life upside down and moved onto a houseboat

Disillusioned by the conventional rental market, we felt emboldened to take a risk during lockdown and ended up leaving dry land

We have a yellow pom pom displayed in the window, so that our five-year old neighbour knows we’re busy. At the end of each working day, the pom pom comes down and I open the window for a chat – usually about insects. ...

Maddie Hickish: ‘Embarking on this project quickly highlighted my desperate lack of practical skills’

Maddie Hickish: ‘Embarking on this project quickly highlighted my desperate lack of practical skills’

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Why I turned my life upside down and moved onto a houseboat (telegraph.co.uk)

Why I turned my life upside down and moved onto a houseboat

Disillusioned by the conventional rental market, we felt emboldened to take a risk during lockdown and ended up leaving dry land

We have a yellow pom pom displayed in the window, so that our five-year old neighbour knows we’re busy. At the end of each working day, the pom pom comes down and I open the window for a chat – usually about insects. ...

I couldn't read any more than that as I didn't want to pay

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I couldn't read any more than that as I didn't want to pay

Hit the 'stop' button as it's loading and you can stop the paywall from coming up, it's the last thing that loads on the telegraph site !

12 minutes ago, gatekrash said:

Hit the 'stop' button as it's loading and you can stop the paywall from coming up, it's the last thing that loads on the telegraph site !

It is the Esc button on my Laptop

One assumes she has a composting (bag it and bin it) toilet as she says :]

................ We can’t use a hairdryer, we have very little space and we have to regularly carry a tank full of urine past our neighbours. 

At one point she says " The other night, heavy rainfall had caused the canal to rise by several feet and our boat was tilting at a dangerous angle. One of our neighbours had realised what was happening and loosened our ropes while we slept, saving us from having to bail out our home before breakfast. "

Several feet ?????

8 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

At one point she says " The other night, heavy rainfall had caused the canal to rise by several feet and our boat was tilting at a dangerous angle. One of our neighbours had realised what was happening and loosened our ropes while we slept, saving us from having to bail out our home before breakfast. "

Several feet ?????

Not on the canal, but we have that (6-10 feet variance) twice a day, you soon learn how to tie up properly.

8 minutes ago, haggis said:

same here

The trick with hitting Esc while its still loading worked, also an interesting one about living on the Thames at the Island The other end of the scale https://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/buy/inside-1-million-houseboat-river-thames/

Edited by ditchcrawler

20 minutes ago, David Mack said:

How do I do that on an Android phone?

You've got to be quick with hitting the three dots in the top right, then reload the page, quickly hit the three dots and then the cross. It sometimes takes a few attempts and helps a f you have a bad 4g connection so it's loading slowly, and yes it's a lot easier on a laptop !