Silsden to Saltaire

ed7

Featured Posts

Hi 

I am hiring a boat from Silsden in late May.  Picking the boat up at 1pm. Is it realistic to get from Silsden to Saltaire before sunset on the same day? 

I have read other posts recommending we stop off at Bingley but we only have the boat for a short weekend and seeking to make the most of it.

Thanks 

Just now, ed7 said:

Hi 

I am hiring a boat from Silsden in late May.  Picking the boat up at 1pm. Is it realistic to get from Silsden to Saltaire before sunset on the same day? 

I have read other posts recommending we stop off at Bingley but we only have the boat for a short weekend and seeking to make the most of it.

Thanks 

It depends when you actually get away.

Picking the boat up at 1pm could mean you dont get underway for a couple of hours depending on how busy they are.

Check Bingley 5 and 3 rise opening times too.

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Check Bingley 5 and 3 rise opening times

That's what is crucial.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/19303-bingley-3-and-5-rise-locks-leeds-and-liverpool-summer-opening-hours-2021

Through the 2021 summer season, our customer operations team will be on site to offer assisted passage through Bingley 3 & 5 Rise locks.

Morning

Passages down the lock flights between 08:00-10:00, last entry at 09:00.

Passages up the lock flights between 10:00-12:00, last entry at 11:00.

Afternoon

Passages down the lock flight between 13:00-15:00, last entry at 14:00.

Passages up the lock flight between 15:00-17:00, last entry at 16:00.

There's no way with a 1pm collection time that you will get into the top lock by 2pm

6 and a quarter miles and 10 swingbridges - around 3 and a half hours

https://canalplan.org.uk/cgi-bin/canal.cgi?quickroute=yes&where=Silsden Wharf, Bingley Five Rise Staircase

you’ll need to watch the training video in the office, be walked through the boat systems by the staff and load all your stuff from the car to the boat, doubt you’ll leave the yard before 2pm. If your boat is blocked in by others you’ll be waiting for them to leave also as they’ll be rafted up.

first time we rented from there we were on the outside and were off for 2pm, second time we were on the inside and once the widebeam we were pinned in by had sorted itself out it was nearer 3pm

You will be able to get to the top of 5-rise at a pinch providing all the bridges are ok - there are lots! - On the electric ones remember to keep the closing button pressed until the whole cycle is complete. Recently you have had to book passage through 5-rise in advance but that might be different now. If you moor up at 5-rise after the cafe closes, walk down into Bingley for lots of Aldi/Lidl/Home Bargains shopping and some good food places. When you moor-up the day after in Saltaire and explore the mill, walk up Victoria Road for some interesting bakeries and the splendid Chapel. There is a real-ale bar called 'Fanny's' at the top, by a chip shop so you can get the full-fat immersive experience. Saltaire main street has some good coffee-shops a great wine-supplier and butcher (where the constant queues are a testament) Back on the other side of the canal is a fairly good bar/restaurant and a little further afield the lovingly tended Glen Tramway which is a splendid relic taking you up to Shipley Glen, where mill-families would travel for a cup of tea and a bun on high days and holidays. The Glen pub has a locally famous quiz-night where cheating is compulsory (it must be because my brother once won it) Further-on the canal there are a couple of good pubs like the Stansfield Arms at Apperley Bridge and then I run out of knowledge or talent or experience so you are on your own. After all, the journey is the goal, not the destination. Have a great time but don't try to plan too much in advance, as Erwin Rommel had written on his wall - 'No plan survives first contact with the enemy' Cheers!

• 1 month later...