Mosaic floor tiles

Featured Posts

The floor of my boat is ply covered with sort of pseudo parquet, so I tried covering it with sticky back vinyl laminate from B&Q, this did not work. I currently have carpet on most of the boat. 

The bathroom has sticky back tiles but they also seem to move a bit, so that has not worked.

I wonder if 23mm square mosaic non slip tiles would work, they need to be grouted, possibly laid on a screed. Obviously this would raise the floor level a bit. 

Should I just buy a square metre of lino type vinyl and lay it loose, or at least with a bit of tacky stuff.?

Edited by LadyG

Our galley has vinyl. It is laid taut, on ply, with 50mm wide, extra thick double sided tape round all  the edges and trim/joint cover strips  where if meets carpet.  If has not moved in 30 odd years.

The bathroom has waterproof rubber backed carpet  again laid on ply with thick double sided tape to fasten it, except for one flap over the bilge diving hole. That has been OK too, but is on its third piece of carpet and tape.

Yoh could also try the tackifier that the professionals use to lay carpet tiles.  It needs both a smooth floor and a smooth back to the carpet or vinyl.

N

13 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Our galley has Flotex carpet tiles, not fixed nut tightly laid between all sides

I have several flotex pieces on the floor, they need to go outside for a good scrub to get them clean and remove brown cat hair, looks great for a few days, after a few weeks they need to be lifted and scrubbed, day to day sweeping does not work, other than that they would be good, but I have problems re fitting them, so it's a constant job, lift, scrub, dry, Re lay. I can't be bothered with housework, it's the biggest drawback of narrowboat living in winter: coal dust and cat hair. 

Both of my shareboats had Flotex carpet tiles. They survived 10-12 years of hard use without showing any signs of wear, but were vacuumed rather than swept, with occassional (yearly) lift and scrub.

However for ease of care you cannot beat a good vinyl, such as Kardean, Amtico or Rhino, which only needs sweeping or vaccuuming or the occassional mopping.

21 hours ago, LadyG said:

I have several flotex pieces on the floor, they need to go outside for a good scrub to get them clean and remove brown cat hair, looks great for a few days, after a few weeks they need to be lifted and scrubbed, day to day sweeping does not work, other than that they would be good, but I have problems re fitting them, so it's a constant job, lift, scrub, dry, Re lay. I can't be bothered with housework, it's the biggest drawback of narrowboat living in winter: coal dust and cat hair. 

Do you really imagine anybody cares?  Just make your own choice, its your boat and lifestyle so its not something that anybody can advise and you will more than likely ignore everybody's advice anyway.  Get on with it ffs!