Trees hacked down with a chainsaw on the River Thames between Walton-on-Thames and Weybridge

nbfiresprite

Featured Posts

Seems the Surrey Police are looking for a loony with a chainsaw who for the passed week has been cutting down trees at random along the riverside

between Walton on Thames and Weybridge. The mad chopper is targeting the ash, oak ,elm trees leaving pine  tress alone. 

If your moored in the area and own a chainsaw, keep it out of sight or you may find yourself invited down to the station for a chat.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/trees-chopped-walton-thames-phantom-lumberjack-police-b928561.html

• Horror 1

30 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Seems the Surrey Police are looking for a loony with a chainsaw who for the passed week has been cutting down trees at random along the riverside

between Walton on Thames and Weybridge. The mad chopper is targeting the ash, oak ,elm trees leaving pine  tress alone. 

If your moored in the area and own a chainsaw, keep it out of sight or you may find yourself invited down to the station for a chat.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/trees-chopped-walton-thames-phantom-lumberjack-police-b928561.html

Saw that a few days ago, people are bloody odd sometimes, we've currently got some bod cutting the ties on our newly planted trees, so far 30 odd and we suspect more, just odd

• Horror 1

Many years ago we bought a barn for conversion. Turns out we outbid a yokel local who it also turns out had a relative in almost every house in the village. We turned up one day to find someone had chopped several large trees down on the land that now belonged to us. Of course no one saw or heard a thing. B'stards.

What's this got to do with the above story? Not a lot, but it just took me back... It's a horrible thing to do. Maybe someone has a grudge, or a screw loose - there's a fair few of both types wondering around out there.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, BWM said:

Horrible thing to do, i'd be interested where he can find any Elm trees worth cutting down though. 

If he's cutting down trees in rough ground or hedgerows it's very possible there are some elms, they can get reasonably big as well, certainly as big or bigger than those shown in the photos

There's also the chance the council have experimented with the resistant varieties

Edited by tree monkey

23 minutes ago, mark99 said:

There are Elms I think out there as TM says. Young ones. I was shown a few recently - I had no idea they were elms tbh.

A fair few years ago I was plotting and surveying the trees in an area of Cheshire, found a massive mature tree, in full leaf and bugger me I couldn't identify it, back to the books to realise it was a fully mature Elm, I had never seen a mature Elm before and it completely threw me.

17 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Nasty 

I belive we not dealing with a loony afterall, But a homeowner who had a tree with a 'Preservation Order' blocking their view. What better way to

hide the unlawfull cutting down of a tree with an order on it. Than for it to be among many cut down. Not a new idea, but anyone who has either seen or

read the Agatha Christie 'ABC Murders' in which a Murder is hiden among many  as part of a serial killing.

• Greenie 2

25 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

I belive we not dealing with a loony afterall, But a homeowner who had a tree with a 'Preservation Order' blocking their view. What better way to

hide the unlawfull cutting down of a tree with an order on it. Than for it to be among many cut down. Not a new idea, but anyone who has either seen or

read the Agatha Christie 'ABC Murders' in which a Murder is hiden among many  as part of a serial killing.

Ah, I hadn't thought of that! Well rumbled (if true).

3 hours ago, mark99 said:

very useful photo in that report ......................  NOT  !!!

in the original report “One of the parents who was walking past yesterday evening has said that she saw two men standing outside the club looking suspicious."

I wonder what one has to do to look suspicious?  Perhaps a Covid haircut or wearing a long macintosh?

Edited by Murflynn

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

A fair few years ago I was plotting and surveying the trees in an area of Cheshire, found a massive mature tree, in full leaf and bugger me I couldn't identify it, back to the books to realise it was a fully mature Elm, I had never seen a mature Elm before and it completely threw me.

Nasty 

One felled in out village this year,  some say it was a couple of hundred years old. When it was down there was a hole right in the center looking at the stump

Edited by ditchcrawler
year not week

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Nasty 

I thought the last mature specimens were down in Brighton but guess there must be the odd one elsewhere, i've not seen anything over about 7" diameter elsewhere myself. 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

clearly evidence of your enviable youthfulness.  B)

they were common as muck during my formative years .....  so sad.  

Why can't the Dutch contain all their bad influences within their own wee plot of land ?  ....................  actually I expect Dutch Elm Disease is just a reference to where it was first identified, like the Kent variant of Covid-19.

Edited by Murflynn
  • Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, BWM said:

I thought the last mature specimens were down in Brighton but guess there must be the odd one elsewhere, i've not seen anything over about 7" diameter elsewhere myself. 

I know of 2 in Cheshire buy I'm sure there are more, isolated specimens survive better, it makes it harder for the beetle to find them.

2 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

clearly evidence of your enviable youthfulness.  B)

It's why I like this place, it makes me feel young ;)

• Happy 1

As a kid our estate backed onto a park with lots of trees.

They used to cull the grey squirrels with proper shotguns. Funny thing was they never closed the park whilst two or three sinister looking contractors wandered around blasting the things out of the trees!  These guys just turned up and despite asking them loads questions they never replied.

All the Elms died of the disease though. Real shame.

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, mark99 said:

As a kid our estate backed onto a park with lots of trees.

They used to cull the grey squirrels with proper shotguns. Funny thing was they never closed the park whilst two or three sinister looking contractors wandered around blasting the things out of the trees!  These guys just turned up and despite asking them loads questions they never replied.

All the Elms died of the disease though. Real shame.

Ahh grey squirrels, nightmare things,  cause loads of damage but have the saving grace of being cute so convincing people that they should be controlled is almost impossible, it does go on but considering the potential reaction it is kept fairly quiet

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Ahh grey squirrels, nightmare things,  cause loads of damage but have the saving grace of being cute so convincing people that they should be controlled is almost impossible, it does go on but considering the potential reaction it is kept fairly quiet

My step father eats them.

I gave him my rifle for the purpose.

He also gets them from a local market

Also when he used to help the beaters at the local shoots - given some

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

58 minutes ago, BWM said:

This is the one cut down near us, someone set a plant in the hollow centre. 

smallIMG_20210324_103647.jpg

smallIMG_20210324_103655.jpg

44 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I know of 2 in Cheshire buy I'm sure there are more, isolated specimens survive better, it makes it harder for the beetle to find them.

I have a sucker from the root of the one cut down in the village, whether it will be resistant who knows, I can but try. All the others succumb when they get about 20 foot tall.

• Greenie 3

37 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Our local Red Squirrel group have "rangers" who will turn up and deal with any reported Grey Squirrel.  It would appear the locals are colour prejudice as far a squirrels go.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, sueb said:

Foxes are also considered cute hence we have them following dog walkers here. Cats are always going missing but the fox lovers won't consider its the foxes doing the culling.

An interesting hypothesis.   Do you have a reference for that please.

Catbehaviourist.com says "Foxes pose little danger to cats. But, like any other dog, foxes will chase cats. Generally, though, when faced with the claws and teeth of a cat, foxes will back away, knowing they will probably suffer a serious injury in any fight."

• Greenie 1