Water under the floor

Featured Posts

Hullo hullo

I'm taking up some naff old lino and there's a couple of access holes in the floor, just under the steps in front of the engine bay, which show about 3cm of water - I'm guessing it shouldnt be there

The engine bay is dry, and I'm not seeing any obvious signs of damp anywhere else - any ideas of the cause of it?

Cheers :)

• 1  Sinking, holes in boat.
  • 2  Window leaks.
  • 3  Door leaks.
  • 4  Condensation.
  • 5  Incontinent dog.
  • 6  Leaking water pipes.
  • 7 Leaking waste pipes.
  • 8  Leaking shower tray
  • 9  Leaking heating pipes or radiators.
  • 10 Leaking calorifier. 
  • 11 Leaking water pump or tank.
  • 12 Dribbling Pressure Release Valve.

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:
  • 2  Window leaks.
  • 3  Door leaks.
  • 4  Condensation.
  • 5  Incontinent dog.
  • 7 Leaking waste pipes.
  • 8  Leaking shower tray
  • 10 Leaking calorifier. 

That's great, cheers for the list - the boat's not been lived in for a few months so that rules out a couple of them...

I'll see what I can do about draining it and then keep an eye to see if it comes back

13 minutes ago, jacob said:

Hullo hullo

I'm taking up some naff old lino and there's a couple of access holes in the floor, just under the steps in front of the engine bay, which show about 3cm of water - I'm guessing it shouldnt be there

The engine bay is dry, and I'm not seeing any obvious signs of damp anywhere else - any ideas of the cause of it?

Cheers :)

welcome...

people here love to solve mysteries... start with as little info as possible and slowly reveal your boat... hints with pics are appreciated but dont post them too soon, it spoils the fun.. :)

Edited by restlessnomad
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:
  • 2  Window leaks.
  • 3  Door leaks.
  • 4  Condensation.
  • 5  Incontinent dog.
  • 7 Leaking waste pipes.
  • 8  Leaking shower tray
  • 10 Leaking calorifier. 

You forgot leaking mushroom vents.

Rare but I had it on my old tub; paint bubbles on the cabin side when prodded I found pinholes of rust had penetrated allowing windblown rain inside the trim.

Took me weeks to find this leak.

Babies nappies are good for absorbing moisture after you have got some out with a scoop or similar. Water will seep back to that area for a wee while as it finds its way past the ballast so don't be to alarmed if you mop it all out and there is more water there the next day.  However, if you keep finding water there after several moppings, you still have a leak somewhere. 

haggis

Edited by haggis
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, haggis said:

Babies nappies are good for absorbing moisture after you have got some out with a scoop or similar. Water will seep back to that area for a wee while as it finds its way past the ballast so don't be to alarmed if you mop it all out and there is more water there the next day.  However, if you keep finding water there after several moppings, you still have a leak somewhere. 

haggis

Nappies are a good shout, thanks

Would post a pic but the internet's not the best here at the mo - imagine a hole with some water at the bottom of it

• Greenie 1

Check around the doors too - before I bought my boat (cruiser stern with external steps), I found that the back step had drain holes that were meant to allow water to drain into the engine bay bilge. However, the holes were blocked and water had filled the bottom step and dribbled in the back door, rotting a bit of floor and most of the doorframe. Not obvious at first as all the damp was hidden behind the lining.

Also may be a leaky window, it runs down the inside of the boat so can be hard to trace. On most boats windows are easy to pull off, treat the steel for rust and re seal with butyl tape.

8 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:
  • 2  Window leaks.
  • 3  Door leaks.
  • 4  Condensation.
  • 5  Incontinent dog.
  • 7 Leaking waste pipes.
  • 8  Leaking shower tray
  • 10 Leaking calorifier. 

13 Leaking water tank

Thats what we have and it will be a PITA to deal with. The tank is stainless steel under the front cockpit deck. We will have to have the deck cut out then the tank pressure tested to find the leak. Hopefully it can be welded if not its a new tank or a plastic liner in the existing one. And yes we have eliminated options 1 to 12 it has taken us nearly 2 years to do so. We had got it down to two possibilities - the tank or the concealed pipe that runs from the tank to the water pump at the stern. Oddly the lockdown has helped as the boat has been left for 6months with the wter turned off at the stop cock by the tank. We arrived back at it to find the bilge full of water and the area around the tank dry!! It had very slowly leaked to the point where the water level was below the hole. The volume of water in the bilge meant it had only one source. It could not have been the pipe.

Ah well BOAT applies as it will not be cheap to sort out!!

• Unimpressed 1

25 minutes ago, Richard T said:

13 Leaking water tank

Thats what we have and it will be a PITA to deal with. The tank is stainless steel under the front cockpit deck. We will have to have the deck cut out then the tank pressure tested to find the leak. Hopefully it can be welded if not its a new tank or a plastic liner in the existing one. And yes we have eliminated options 1 to 12 it has taken us nearly 2 years to do so. We had got it down to two possibilities - the tank or the concealed pipe that runs from the tank to the water pump at the stern. Oddly the lockdown has helped as the boat has been left for 6months with the wter turned off at the stop cock by the tank. We arrived back at it to find the bilge full of water and the area around the tank dry!! It had very slowly leaked to the point where the water level was below the hole. The volume of water in the bilge meant it had only one source. It could not have been the pipe.

Ah well BOAT applies as it will not be cheap to sort out!!

That doesn't sound fun at all - best of luck

6 hours ago, cuthound said:

Wet and dry VAC or Pela pump will remove most of the water, then nappies.

Will need doing several times if much water is being held in the ballast.

Have just ordered a hand pump, will check it out tomorrow cheers