Window sealant query...

Featured Posts

Hi All, at the boat today and noticed i need to pay some attention to the bow doors - the sealant seems to be perishing and letting water in/rust etc...

What would the panel recommend as a sealant for this?  seems to be quite 'rubbery' !

thanks!

Rob

20210407_132210.jpg

12 hours ago, BEngo said:

A butyl sealant.  Does not set hard.  Seamseal CV  is one example.  Available in gun tubes or as tape in various widths.

N

I think gutter sealant is black, comes in a tube and is Butyl based.

• Greenie 1

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Problem with your doors is rust rob, you need to treat that and paint before revealing, as otherwise, whatever you use will lose its seal fairly soon.

thanks Matty, thats all sorted re rust treatment and re-sealant... butyl did the trick!

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, frangar said:

Deal with the rust then Flexistrip butyl glazing tape…much less mess than a tube of mastic..doesn’t set hard..highly recommended. 

And won't glue the frame to the cabin side like some recommendations.

Reiterate, the rust needs dealing with properly, otherwise it will push the frame away from the cabin side.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I think you need to clean back a lot further to be sure that the rust is not creeping under the sound paint.

yes i will be. I plan to take the doors off and completely redo them when time permits... this is just a 'stop the water getting in' exercise..  most of my recent jobs seem to be stopping the water getting in, thinking about it!

Edited by robtheplod