Engineers

Featured Posts

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but I've just had a guy out to my boat (Lister SR2 with the usual diesel leak) who, for once and almost uniquely in my experience, has fixed the problem, spotted two others and fixed them without either complaining or adding to the agreed fee even though the whole job took three hours longer than he had quoted for.  So I thought he deserved a plug - he's Karl Illand (Mainland Marine) from Burnley, travels all over the country.  He's on Facebook or anyone can PM me for contact details.

• Greenie 4

Deserves a medal for working in the maggot. Really pleased that you found a decent engineer Arthur, put his name up in lights, he is a rare animal.

Does he only work on air cooled listers?

So nobody misses this Karl Illand, Mainland Marine, Burnley  recommended by Arthur Marshall.

Nothing wrong with a Maggot! Boat's nearly as old as me and so is the engine, so it deserves a bit of TLC (so do I, actually). I really was impressed, I didn't have to tighten up a single nut after he'd gone (though I checked, obviously). They usually leave at least two loose.

He also spotted two flexible hoses that need replacing before they fall to bits and is coming back to do them. And what is more, he not only answered the phone  but turned up when he said he would.

And, no, apparently he was trained on Listers, which is rare these days, but works on all engines and apparently yesterday fixed someone's dodgy electrics (lighting) as well.

I'm fairly hard to impress, but I was. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I know your boat, and yes, there is nothing wrong with it. I was being funny!

Sounds like a grand chap, is he young enough to be useful for a while or is he another crumbly like us?

I did realise it was a joke, just thought I'd elaborate... I reckon he's in his thirties, so he should outlive me, at least! Dunno about you...

He's only gone into this as self employed the past two years, so he's busily building up a customer base. I suspect it won't be long till he's rushed off his feet. He was recommended to me by someone off Facebook, so it does hsve its uses.