Tiller Assembly Excessive Rattling

Gilsteamin

Featured Posts

Hi all

We recently had a new engine and prop fitted. Before the fitting it was smooth there is a nut. After fitting there is a lot of excessive movement in the whole Tiller arm assembly.

Just a year before this the bearings were all renewed so I doubt it’s that.

Any ideas at all?

The 'nut' may be at fault ?

6 minutes ago, Gilsteamin said:

Before the fitting it was smooth there is a nut...............

Where is the nut , can you find where it came from ?

If the tiller assembly wasn't touched during the process then it is unlikely to be that.

Could be :

Engine mounts not balanced

Engine mount loose

Prop not balanced

Prop blade damaged

Propshaft out of balance / damaged

Who fitted the engine and prop ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

It was all fitted by the engineers at Calcutt boats. The prop is bigger than the old prop but I can’t remember the actual size and pitch. Although in during fitting, the prop was put on using a sledgehammer.

Edited by Gilsteamin

5 hours ago, Gilsteamin said:

It was all fitted by the engineers at Calcutt boats. The prop is bigger than the old prop but I can’t remember the actual size and pitch. Although in during fitting, the prop was put on using a sledgehammer.

A sledgehammer shouldn't be required to fit a new propeller onto a new shaft, my guess is they accidentally whacked one of the bats leaving it out of balance. Unless they fitted one with the wrong rotation...

• 2 weeks later...

I would not trust any one who uses that much force to fit a prop. There is no guarantee that the report you get will truly determine the cause of the problem since the 'engineers' involved have no idea of how to approach the job. Have they tried to fit a prop. with the wrong taper and  forced on as far as it will go? If you have a weed hatch can you see if the retaining nut has been screwed all the way home and has a split pin fitted? I would seriously consider taking the boat to the nearest competent yard and asking them for a report on this before you let Calcutt anywhere near it? As a general point why is it that anyone who can handle a spanner is allowed to call themselves an engineer?

Are you sure the sledgehammer was not used to shock the old prop off its taper.  I can't see any justification for hammering it on.

I would be having a very close look at how the key sits in the prop and on the shaft. The key may be too tall for the new prop so it is holding the prop off-centre.