Nanni 4 connection to calorifier

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, Flow said:

Just an update, I've connected it all up and it's working fine although the the pipe from the right (thermostat) seems to get hot first?IMG_20210410_102649.jpg.bbcbbd36ef51bd34b30ec49d6580ad47.jpg

That's exactly what should happen. The hot water comes from the thermostat housing, then returns to the pump

Yeah it's a tad annoying because I've connected it from the left (pump) to the bottom of the calorifier coil and back from the top to the right (thermostat). It works ok but would it be much more efficient if I swapped them? Baring in mind it wouldn't be a straightforward job as the pipes are different lengths.

Edited by Flow

22 minutes ago, Flow said:

Yeah it's a tad annoying because I've connected it from the left (pump) to the bottom of the calorifier coil and back from the top to the right (thermostat). It works ok but would it be much more efficient if I swapped them? Baring in mind it wouldn't be a straightforward job as the pipes are different lengths.

I refer you to my posts of 7th April.

46 minutes ago, Flow said:

Can't you swap the pipes on the engine rather than the calorifier.

52 minutes ago, Flow said:

That is the way it should be according to convention as long as you don't get gravity circulation when the engine is off.  hot water into the top of the coil where it will cool, become denser so drop through the coil irrespective of the pump, and then from the bottom of the coil back to the engine. You need the pump for that bit.

On 07/04/2021 at 19:17, Steve56 said:

Sorry to disagree but the flow out of the engine is the left hand side, and return to the left ( thermostat housing )

I did not wish to enter into an argument but your advice was erroneous. The return is to the pump as I thought in the first place, as is normal on every engine I have ever come across.

9 minutes ago, Steve56 said:

Can't you swap the pipes on the engine rather than the calorifier.

So you are now coming around to my way of thinking?

9 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I did not wish to enter into an argument but your advice was erroneous. The return is to the pump as I thought in the first place, as is normal on every engine I have ever come across.

I agree with that, it's conventionally correct but it may need altering as the first step in trying to stop gravity circulation when the engine is off and the calorifoer hot.That, though, is for the future of needed.

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I agree with that, it's conventionally correct but it may need altering as the first step in trying to stop gravity circulation when the engine is off and the calorifoer hot.That, though, is for the future of needed.

I have found that taking the pipes down low after they leave the engine always stops any gravity circulation at no cost. Connecting the flow to the lower tapping will also discourage unwanted circulation and be more efficient at transferring heat into the calorifier.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm just happy it's working now, I'll swap the pipes around before I use it again then it's done. I would no doubt have worked it out in the end but you've saved me a heap of time ?

• 1 year later...

My photo along with Tracy's, Steve56, and others photos above show the connections in accordance with the Nanni single page engine installation guide found on the internet.  Yes the hose with the elbow to the right (I am pointing to) will get hot first, since the hot water comes out of the engine via that hose and returns to the engine thru the hose to the left.

One thing no one has discussed is the requirement for an expansion tank if your hot water heater is located "ABOVE" the engine level per Nanni's installation manual note.  

My water heater is above the engine level and on my N4.50 the heater water supply hose from the engine, that I am pointing to, goes directly to the water heater input connection.  From the water heater output connection a hose goes to the upper left side connection on the pressurized expansion tank with 4 psi cap and the expansion tank "MUST" be above the water heater output connection.  In the photo you can see the top of the white water heat just below the expansion tank. The bottom expansion tank hose then returns to the engine.  This tank catches any air in the system.  When I first made all the connections and started the engine I left the expansion tank cap off and had the fill the tank several times to eliminate all the air from the system.

The smaller blue hose at the very top by the cap, in the expansion tank photo, is for the tank overflow, not the engine return  hose.

I did not find any info on where the expansion tank should be located in any Nanni literature, so I emailed Nanni directly and they provided all the info I needed for my installation.

Water Heater 1.jpeg

Water Heater 3.jpeg

Edited by Vila