DEFRA to assess performance of C&RT.

Orwellian

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Jon johan said:

A few enquiries today have resulted in an explanation along the Ines of CRT applying for extended funding after 2027. The assessment is apparently part and parcel of that application.

Enquiries of whom?

4 minutes ago, Jon johan said:

A few enquiries today have resulted in an explanation along the Ines of CRT applying for extended funding after 2027. The assessment is apparently part and parcel of that application.

Which is as I explained. and all part of the transition documentation and the 'grant agreement'.

Was there ever any question that it wasn't ?

If they have not achived the KPIs to date then the grant is not extended. End of.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If they have not achived the KPIs to date then the grant is not extended. End of.

We want the grant extended, it's Mr Parry' employment that shouldn't be extended.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Which is as I explained. and all part of the transition documentation and the 'grant agreement'.

Was there ever any question that it wasn't ?

CRT announced last year that they would not be using the kpi system anymore. I cannot remember what they proposed to use instead of. I’ll ask tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, Jon johan said:

CRT announced last year that they would not be using the kpi system anymore. I cannot remember what they proposed to use instead of. I’ll ask tomorrow.

I think they now blame everything on vandalism so they no longer need the KPI's.

Edited by Midnight
  • Greenie 2

Just now, Midnight said:

We want the grant extended, it's Mr Parry' employment that shouldn't be extended.

I'm working on the assumption that C&RT have not done what is needed, C19 has cost billions and the Government will need to stop the drain and will not set up an extended grant.

1 minute ago, Jon johan said:

Talk about moving the goal posts - failing to hit targets so they change the way things are measured.

You only have to look at the 'days lost' and the 'boaters happiness' figures.

The KPI's are set in law in the documentation that established C&RT.

The agreements were set up between DEFRA and C&RT and set down in an agreement by Stone King (Solicitors)

19 hours ago, LadyG said:

I expect that BW  British Waterways still exists in a filing cabint in Whitehall, just like Winscale, renamed Sellafield when it also became an embarassment after nuclear cockups were revealed.

Saw a sign in Reading, 'permit holders only, British Waterways'. I was confused over whether it was still applicable or not (and what a 'permit holder' is in this context).

Edited by Thomas C King
  • Greenie 1

Just now, Thomas C King said:

Saw a sign in Reading, 'permite holders only, British Waterways'. I was confused over whether it was still applicable or not.

That is not unusual - I have informed then on a number of ocassions about their spelling.

They even had a huge sign at Newark Dry Dock explaining about 'corking' wooden boats.

• Haha 1

On 06/04/2021 at 21:17, matty40s said:

CRT is the charitable trust company that took custodianship of the BW estate to maintain and improve the navigation and increase visitor numbers and revenue.

It has sold off lots of estate to pay director bonuses, sold off the revenue generating marina business for a song, turned maintenance into an emergency charitable begging advert and helped cyclists improve their towpath top speeds by a factor of 2.7.

But annual visits are currently clocked as 137,0078,098,234....

As Stuart Mills explained at the recent HNBC AGM any funds accrued from the sale of property and e.g. the marina businesses  is re-invested in other property which will hopefully bring in a better return (much of this property is not waterway related) and the investment return is actually performing better than average despite the move in recent years to 'safer' investment.  These sale funds cannot be used to pay directors wages (or anyone else's) nor pay for maintenance as otherwise eventually there would be no property left to generate the much needed revenue to help maintain the waterways.  

• Greenie 2

On 06/04/2021 at 21:15, Orwellian said:

Thanks for posting this it does seem that DEFRA are appointing consultants to carry out that review. Given their reliance on the DEFRA contract payment C&RT will be pulling out all the stops to ensure that essential support continues. Ironical really given that BW management pushed to become an independent charity to free themselves from the unpredictable government grant.

Successfully - as the grant was previously unpredictable year on year (and could even be reduced during a year) whereas now there is definite funding for a period of fifteen years - which even the railways don't get.  As this period is coming to an end clearly there will be lots of lobbying to either keep the grant at its current level or get it increased.  The fear is that the government might reduce the grant notwithstanding the health and well being generated by waterways whether boating, walking, cycling, fishing, or (in some areas) water freight which is currently being re-assessed by an independent consultant with a waterway connection. 

2 hours ago, fanshaft said:

Successfully - as the grant was previously unpredictable year on year (and could even be reduced during a year) whereas now there is definite funding for a period of fifteen years - which even the railways don't get.  As this period is coming to an end clearly there will be lots of lobbying to either keep the grant at its current level or get it increased.  The fear is that the government might reduce the grant notwithstanding the health and well being generated by waterways whether boating, walking, cycling, fishing, or (in some areas) water freight which is currently being re-assessed by an independent consultant with a waterway connection. 

I agree that the DEFRA 'grant' has provided certainty of taxpayer funding but only until 2027. What has to be remembered however is the objective of government in supporting the transfer from public corporation to charitable trust. This is set out in the attached. Note items 1 & 2.

Screenshot_20210408-152228_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

34 minutes ago, Orwellian said:

I agree that the DEFRA 'grant' has provided certainty of taxpayer funding but only until 2027. What has to be remembered however is the objective of government in supporting the transfer from public corporation to charitable trust. This is set out in the attached. Note items 1 & 2.

Screenshot_20210408-152228_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

And, yet again, nothing about keeping the canals open for Navigation.

Boaters are a minority of 30,000 when compared to the needs of the 450,000,000 visits that pedestrians make to the canals every year

The Cyclists and Ramblers Trust is expected to be self funding by 2027. The Government has never had any intent to extend the life of the grant, and with the unexpected costs incurred during the lat couple of years will be even more loathe to do so.

The idea that the waterways can be self-funding is plain daft. With all that infrastructure to maintain it's a non-starter. Even significant increases in license fees would just result in less boats - less money. Although maybe more continuous moorers which CaRT would love as they don't put strain on the system.

Any audit of CaRT will show they have been so successful in attracting visitors to the canal that it's currently impossible to move on some tow-paths for the shear volume of joggers, walkers, cyclists etc. 450,000,000 my arse! And anyway none of those groups contribute except like all of us through taxes. As far as boating is concerned never mind auditing navigation just ask boaters and put the consultancy money into maintenance. CaRT are not fit for purpose and IMO it's all down to the man at the top Richard Parry. Who in my humble opinion is a complete waste of space and hopefully will be sacked.

• Greenie 1