DEFRA to assess performance of C&RT.

Orwellian

Featured Posts

I wonder what happened to 'plain english', I hardly recognise these acronyms, but I do know it is very difficult to get on any tendering list, aka TGT (The Gravy Train).

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, Orwellian said:

I think that is just the location of the office commissioning the report.

I suppose giving the multimillion pound contract to someone MUST involve some challenge for the winner then....like finding the canals.

28 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I suppose giving the multimillion pound contract to someone MUST involve some challenge for the winner then....like finding the canals.

Does it mention canals?

Yes, but only as 'concepts'

It's all about socio economic evaluation, and while it is important that we are all happy people with levels of wellness increasing day by day through water,  this year it has not worked, the hospitals are full of people who have mental illness, ditto police cells.

I just find the whole 'concept evaluation' to be what we used to call 'left wing looney'

Imho the Road Map to wellness is what it has always been, a healthy economy, good housing, medical services, and education for all.

Recreation and exercise is good for mental health, but it's not going to help the disadvantaged.

Oops, I am turning 'political'.

I'll be banned.

The UK government has not been able to sell off BW for the simple reason, it's not a good business model. "What can't be cured must be endured". Anon 16th Century.

Let's hope they don't do a comparison with Scottish Canals, everyone penned in marinas, lots of closures, very restricted movement, but it's probably easier to generate more income per boater, so all round, a better business model.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 2

28 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Does it mention canals?

It's all about socio economic evaluation, while it is important that we are all happy people with levels of wellness increasing day by day through water,  this year it has not worked, the hospitals are full of people who have mental illness, ditto police cells.

I just find the whole 'concept evaluation' to be what we used to call 'left wing looney'

Imho the Road Map to wellnes is what it has always been, a healthy economy, good housing, medical services, and education for all.

Recreation and exercise is good for mental health, but it's not going to help the disadvantaged, oops, I am turning 'political'.

I'll be banned,

What on earth are you talking about, have you been on the Gin again ?

No surprises - It is not unexpected - the DEFRA grant is dependent upon C&RT meeting their targets.

If C&RT cannot convince the auditors that they have achieved their KPI's then the future grant is at risk.

GRANT AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE SECRETARY OF STATE FOR ENVIRONMENT, FOOD AND RURAL AFFAIRS AND CANAL & RIVER TRUST

Notwithstanding the regular content and cycle of Review Meetings, in the financial year 2021/22 a review will take place to consider whether, and if so, the extent to which there is a case to continue to support by Grant the public benefits (including, but not by way of limitation, provision of land drainage, flood mitigation and other public safety benefits) provided by the waterways under CRT’s stewardship beyond the end of the Grant Period. The 2021/22 Review shall take into account, among other matters, CRT’s performance of its obligations arising under the Grant Agreement. Defra shall issue a report setting out the conclusions of this review with regard to continued support of CRT by Grant beyond the term of this Grant Agreement on or before 1 July 2022

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Does it mention canals?

It's all about socio economic evaluation, and while it is important that we are all happy people with levels of wellness increasing day by day through water,  this year it has not worked, the hospitals are full of people who have mental illness, ditto police cells.

Imho the Road Map to wellness is what it has always been, a healthy economy, good housing, medical services, and education for all.

Recreation and exercise is good for mental health, but it's not going to help the disadvantaged.

Oops, I am turning 'political'.

I'll be banned.

The UK government has not been able to sell off BW for the simple reason, it's not a good business model. "What can't be cured must be endured". Anon 16th Century.

Let's hope they don't do a comparison with Scottish Canals, everyone penned in marinas, lots of closures, very restricted movement, but it's probably easier to generate more income per boater, so all round, a better business model.

Who is BW and what have they got to do with this topic?

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What on earth are you talking about, have you been on the Gin again ?

No surprises - It is not unexpected - the DEFRA grant is dependent upon C&RT meeting their targets.

If C&RT cannot convince the auditors that they have achieved their KPI's then the future grant is at risk.

GRANT AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE SECRETARY OF STATE FOR ENVIRONMENT, FOOD AND RURAL AFFAIRS AND CANAL & RIVER TRUST

Notwithstanding the regular content and cycle of Review Meetings, in the financial year 2021/22 a review will take place to consider whether, and if so, the extent to which there is a case to continue to support by Grant the public benefits (including, but not by way of limitation, provision of land drainage, flood mitigation and other public safety benefits) provided by the waterways under CRT’s stewardship beyond the end of the Grant Period. The 2021/22 Review shall take into account, among other matters, CRT’s performance of its obligations arising under the Grant Agreement. Defra shall issue a report setting out the conclusions of this review with regard to continued support of CRT by Grant beyond the term of this Grant Agreement on or before 1 July 2022

Thanks for posting this it does seem that DEFRA are appointing consultants to carry out that review. Given their reliance on the DEFRA contract payment C&RT will be pulling out all the stops to ensure that essential support continues. Ironical really given that BW management pushed to become an independent charity to free themselves from the unpredictable government grant.

10 minutes ago, Orwellian said:

I expect that BW  British Waterways still exists in a filing cabint in Whitehall, just like Winscale, renamed Sellafield when it also became an embarassment after nuclear cockups were revealed.

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, Orwellian said:

CRT is the charitable trust company that took custodianship of the BW estate to maintain and improve the navigation and increase visitor numbers and revenue.

It has sold off lots of estate to pay director bonuses, sold off the revenue generating marina business for a song, turned maintenance into an emergency charitable begging advert and helped cyclists improve their towpath top speeds by a factor of 2.7.

But annual visits are currently clocked as 137,0078,098,234....

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Orwellian said:

Thanks for posting this it does seem that DEFRA are appointing consultants to carry out that review. Given their reliance on the DEFRA contract payment C&RT will be pulling out all the stops to ensure that essential support continues. Ironical really given that BW management pushed to become an independent charity to free themselves from the unpredictable government grant.

The KPI's are listed, one which brings continuous amazement is the 'number of visitors to the waterways'

They have to increase the numbers each year, the last reported figure I think, was 450,000,000 (450 million) which is a little hard to justify, we'll see what the consultants make of it.

12 minutes ago, Orwellian said:

Absolutely nothing but don't let the uninformed confuse you.

She had never even heard of C&RT until a couple of years ago.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

CRT is the charitable trust company that took custodianship of the BW estate to maintain and improve the navigation and increase visitor numbers and revenue.

It has sold off lots of estate to pay director bonuses, sold off the revenue generating marina business for a song, turned maintenance into an emergency charitable begging advert and helped cyclists improve their towpath top speeds by a factor of 2.7.

But annual visits are currently clocked as 137,0078,098,234....

Thanks for the unnecessary explanation.

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They have to increase the numbers each year, the last reported figure I think, was 450,000,000 (450 million) which is a little hard to justify

That's gone up massively since then since they discovered the Slough Arm basin was being used as a distribution base for the whole County lines for Hampshire, West London, Surrey and Kent..cant miss these off.

12 minutes ago, Orwellian said:

Thanks for the unnecessary explanation.

Are you a .bot?

42 minutes ago, Orwellian said:

I don't know why they have to 'employ' anyone, they should use their own resources to generate a questionaire, and ask CR T to tick the boxes. How else are consultants going to work? Talking  to people on the towpath is a nonsense, are they going to say, "every minute on a towpath is equivalent one wellness point? Ask  commercial carriers on the Aire and Calder, guaranteed very negative? Ask the 30 000 boaters how much 'wellness value" they acrued this year? Or just talk among themselves and generate a report talking about socio economics aimed to impress DEFFRA.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't know why they have to 'employ' anyone, they should use their own resources to generate a questionaire, and ask CR T to tick the boxes. How else are consultants going to work? Talking  to people on the towpath is a nonsense, are they going to say, "every minute on a towpath is equivalent one wrellness pointL? Ask  commercial carriers on the Aire and Calder? Ask the 30 000 boaters how much 'wellness value" they acrued this year? Or just talk among themselves and generate a report talking about socio economics aimed to impress DEFFRA.

There are specific metrics that are to be met.

Stop waffling and writing rubbish - do a Google search for the Canal & Rivers Grant Agreement where it will all be explained what is required.

I could send you a copy but CBA'd.a

C&RT have been reporting against the metrics for the last 9 years, the 'consultants;' will be comparing what has been claimed against what they consider to be the true facts ala 'auditors'.

Any discrepencies will be noted and then the penalties outlined in the agreement can be applied.

At worst the Minister can remove all of the assets from C&RT and give it to another Charity to run.

28. Classes of Member

28.1 There shall be two classes of Members, as follows:

28.1.1 “A Members” shall be those individuals who serve on the Council, appointed in accordance with Article 29 and the Rules, and collectively the A Members shall be known as the Council.

28.1.2 The “B Member” who shall be the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs;

30.2 The Special Powers may only be exercised by the B Member if they have been brought into effect as follows:

30.2.1 circumstances have arisen such that the B Member has become entitled to serve written notice on the Trust terminating its trusteeship of the Waterways Infrastructure Trust pursuant to the terms of the Trust Settlement (whether or not the B Member intends to, or does, serve such notice of termination of trusteeship on the Trust); and

30.2.2 the B Member has notified the Trust in writing of such circumstances and that the Special Powers are being brought into effect by the B Member.

30.4 The Special Powers are as follows:

30.4.1 the B Member may remove any or all of the Trustees of the Trust and may make such replacement appointments as the B Member considers fit by serving notice on the Trust in writing (“the Trustee Replacement Power”);

30.4.2 the B Member may remove any or all of the A Members and may make such replacement appointments as the B Member considers fit by serving notice on the Trust in writing (“the A Member Replacement Power”); and

30.4.3 the B Member may direct that the Protected Assets (subject to attendant liabilities) shall be transferred to another institution which is regarded as charitable under the law of England and Wales with objects compatible with those of the Trust or to be held upon trust for the objects of the Trust by a person or institution which has been appointed as trustee of the Waterways 23 Infrastructure Trust on such terms as the B Member thinks fit (subject to the requirements of charity law) (“the Transfer of Assets Power”).

If only the National Trust could be given it.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I never read the Enfield posts, but after three gin free weeks, a litre bottle of premium was delivered today. Very nice apertif, but I'm rationing myself these days, the bar closes at 17.00 hours, or sunset!

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't know why they have to 'employ' anyone, they should use their own resources to generate a questionaire, and ask CR T to tick the boxes. How else are consultants going to work?

Perfectly normal for a government department to contract out tasks like this. As others have said, it will essentially be an audit of the extent to which CRT have met the various performance indicators which are a condition of the DEFRA grant.

CRT already report their own performance. Asking them to tick boxes on a questionnaire now would be akin to asking them to mark their own homework.

DEFRA are already looking at what will happen when the current CRT funding agreement comes to an end, and this is simply part of the process.

54 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Perfectly normal for a government department to contract out tasks like this. As others have said, it will essentially be an audit of the extent to which CRT have met the various performance indicators which are a condition of the DEFRA grant.

CRT already report their own performance. Asking them to tick boxes on a questionnaire now would be akin to asking them to mark their own homework.

DEFRA are already looking at what will happen when the current CRT funding agreement comes to an end, and this is simply part of the process.

I know how they work, but I think it is a waste of money, the government can do the audit themselves,  the CRT are going to be asked to prove their figures, well I'm quite sure they can 'prove' the number of footfalls they recorded, how are consultants going to prove otherwise? The use of towpaths 2020 - 21 will not reflect efforts by the CRT, but by  the effect of the pandemic. More users who enjoy the benefits but who can't contribute financially.

Remember the chuggers, all those 'friends' who donated, just to cover their costs? That should have been spotted straight away. A pilot scheme would have shown what would happen. The whole idea of people out begging for money on a commisson basis, it's just anathema to me. I know real charities still rely on collection cans, I don't mind donating, but not to employed persons, it's not even regular employment, it's casual work, possibly these zero hours contracts.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Remember the chuggers, all those 'friends' who donated, just to cover the extra costs?

Again you are quoting rubbish, the money raised did not cover the additional costs.

"Remember" that from 2012 to 2018 the chuggers and 'charitable giving' / donations has COST C&RT £5.5 million more than it has raised.

Had they made no efforts to raise income they would have had £5.5 million more to spend on Directors bonus's and Blue-Signs.

The figures are all in the annual Financial Accounts.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I know how they work, but I think it is a waste of money, the government can do the audit themselves,  the CRT are going to be asked to prove their figures, well I'm quite sure they can 'prove' the number of footfalls they recorded, how are consultants going to prove otherwise? The use of towpaths 2020 - 21 will not reflect efforts by the CRT, but by  the effect of the pandemic. More users who enjoy the benefits but who can't contribute financially. Remember the chuggers, all those 'friends' who donated, just to cover the extra costs?

You really do talk complete rubbish.

• Greenie 3

37 minutes ago, Orwellian said:

You really do talk complete rubbish.

I was once an employed person, doing work for the Scottish Executive, we were audited by the EEC, who funded it, they came on a regular basis, spot checks, no consultancy, just auditors who knew what they were looking for, we would not have allowed any 'consultants' to look at our database, it was confidential.

You can't have random people crawling all over your paperwork.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1