Rust treating and painting cabin bilge

Featured Posts

Gearing up to paint the accessible portions of my cabin bilge and wondering if there is much variability in rust treatments? I have plenty of this one left over from treating my weed hatch cover but want to make sure I am using some thing well suited to the job. 

I have a condensation issue in the portions of my cabin bilge that my back boiler pipes run through. Any recommendations of primers/paints to use in bilges that are damp prone?

64A3FD2C-7B7F-4B7C-B4A3-2915C90084BD.jpeg

Edited by Piran

15 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I used Vactan, then Craftmaster primer, undercoat and bilge paint, on my very rusty and wet engine bay. Still looks like a good job a few years later.

Dont know anything about Craftmaster rust treatment.

Oh and what process / tools did you do to get rid of as much rust build up before treating? I have a metal scraper and sandpaper but wondering what else could be good! 

3 minutes ago, Piran said:

Oh and what process / tools did you do to get rid of as much rust build up before treating? I have a metal scraper and sandpaper but wondering what else could be good! 

I scraped as well as I could with a long handled scraper and hoovered it all up with a wet and dry vacuum, (£40 from Wickes). Because I couldn’t reach, I left it at that, let it dry, and coated it with Vactan. It was a reasonable surface for coating, (IMHO), albeit a bit rough, but who’s looking :) 

I suppose if I could have got closer I might have wire brushed it, (electrically), but I suspect it’s not necessary. The Vactan converts any remaining rust, and there didn’t seem to be any flaky bits remaining. I certainly wasn’t going to sand it - I’m pretty sure Craftmaster doesn’t need sanding between coats provided you put the next coat on soon enough - might be worth checking as I’m not certain.

As I said, a few years on, so far so good :)