Survey needed to be done.

Tanmim H

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

The cabin is superstructure, not hull.  They are both shell, but it's not a shell survey.

Doesn't the VAT definition also claim the gunwales as the deck so the hull is below that level?

I'd certainly not expect a hull only survey to include the cabin condition, although any surveyor worth using would note it needing checking or mending. 

Despite various definitions, opinions etc. the true answer is actually whatever the surveyor defines in their scope of work and terms and conditions.  It's down to the client to decide whether the scope is sufficient for their needs.

• Greenie 3

30 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

Despite various definitions, opinions etc. the true answer is actually whatever the surveyor defines in their scope of work and terms and conditions.  It's down to the client to decide whether the scope is sufficient for their needs.

Yes, that, presumably is why we see Surveys for insurance, Surveys for valuation / probate, etc etc. Anyone employing a surveyor would be expected to answer what type of survey? 

A naive boat buyer would assume that a survey is a survey. Why would they think otherwise? 

@TheBiscuits mentions the cabin, to me this is not the steel cabin sides and roof, but would 

include looking inside, ie inside'the cabin', but I am not sure. I would expect a hull survey to look at the hull, which would require it to be out of the water, the steel is then tested, any obvious faults identified, but the engine and attachment to the prop, for example would not be examined, other than from outside the boat. 

Edited by LadyG

To my mind, a pre-purchase survey that did not mention a defect as obvious as that in the OP's photograph in her other thread would be negligent, whatever the surveyor's specific Ts and Cs might say.

Edited by David Mack

14 hours ago, matty40s said:

Craig is not known for being swift producing his survey reports.?

Craig emailed mine to me a couple of days after the survey, but he had already shown and told me the good and bad points during the survey.

On 17/04/2021 at 08:51, cuthound said:

Craig emailed mine to me a couple of days after the survey, but he had already shown and told me the good and bad points during the survey.

Likewise with the survey he did on our purchase. Extremely helpful.

Still no response flrom OP? 

Let's hope all went well and any faults relatively minor, ie easy to sort. A newby boater would have tto rely heavily on her surveyor, let's hope he is 'user friendly'. 

In one way, I don't blame her for not updating us after all the bitter squabbling earlier. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Let's hope all went well and any faults relatively minor, ie easy to sort. A newby boater would have tto rely heavily on her surveyor, let's hope he is 'user friendly'. 

In one way, I don't blame her for not updating us after all the bitter squabbling earlier. 

I noticed recently on the Narrowboat and Canal Lovers Group Facebook page that Tanmim was asking for advice on moving a boat from Whilton to London.  I presume that she has bought this boat?

Edited by davem399
Wrong Facebook page at first

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

She updated us last Wednesday so she obviously wasn't affected by that. The survey was only done on Thursday last week. Not everyone feels the need to post on this forum everyday and occasionally you don't hear back from new members once they've got the information they need. 

32 minutes ago, davem399 said:

I noticed recently on the Narrowboat and Canal Lovers Group Facebook page that Tanmim was asking for advice on moving a boat from Whilton to London.  I presume that she has bought this boat?

That may just have been research in the event she bought the boat rather than leaving it until afterwards.