Survey needed to be done.

Tanmim H

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

Trevor Whitling.

Oh Seven 767 888255

Seconded.  He surveyed the last two boat we sold and, rather bizarrely, I ended up representing the buyer at one of the surveys.  He was very thorough and I strongly recommend him. 

9 minutes ago, Batavia said:

Seconded.  He surveyed the last two boat we sold and, rather bizarrely, I ended up representing the buyer at one of the surveys.  He was very thorough and I strongly recommend him. 

By all means call him but I think you'll find he has retired.

You could try Justin Green (JG Marine), Charles King (Monarch Marine) or Mike Chadwick.  Google will get you to all three.

11 hours ago, Tanmim H said:

I spoke to Craig Allen today  he agreed to to do the survey.

He is a good bloke. Very thorough.

Did the survey on my boat and managed to find enough minor things wrong for me to reduce the offer by enough to more than cover his survey fees.

He used to include a "free" BSC inspection with the survey, so if it passes, you get a new certificate running for 4 years.

Good luck with the survey and I hope it works out wel for you.

• Happy 1

16 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Did the survey on my boat and managed to find enough minor things wrong for me to reduce the offer by enough to more than cover his survey fees.

He used to include a "free" BSC inspection with the survey, so if it passes, you get a new certificate running for 4 years.

Thank you

I wouldn't use Trevor Whitling again even if he hadn't retired. He decided to get involved in my purchase negotiation over 20 years ago even though I'd specifically told him not to beforehand and I ended up a couple of grand down because if it. I couldn't help thinking he was in cahoots with the vendor - never leave them alone together! Perhaps he improved after that judging by what others say.

You could try Lee Freeman. He's a BSS inspector but I think he does surveys too. I'll PM you his phone number.

47 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I wouldn't use Trevor Whitling again even if he hadn't retired. He decided to get involved in my purchase negotiation over 20 years ago even though I'd specifically told him not to beforehand and I ended up a couple of grand down because if it. I couldn't help thinking he was in cahoots with the vendor - never leave them alone together! Perhaps he improved after that judging by what others say.

You could try Lee Freeman. He's a BSS inspector but I think he does surveys too. I'll PM you his phone number.

Shes already got Craig Allen

49 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Thank you for your suggestion.

I booked Craig Allen for the 15th April.

Fingers crossed all goes well.

50 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I wasn't happy with his intervention after he surveyed our boat in 2010. I can't recall the specifics now but it was related to the use of certain electrical connectors. ISTR his recommendation was to replace each and every connection on the boat.  It was only because of a sensible intervention by Dominic who owned Rugby boats at the time who pointed out those in use in our boat had been used in hundreds if not thousands of other boats that it suddenly was no longer an issue. As newbies to boat ownership at the time we were none the wiser.

The issue never came up in the subsequent survey when we sold in 2015, I don't know who did the buyers survey then but it was never even mentioned as a possible issue.

6 hours ago, cuthound said:

That sounds good.

I should get price down for the rust do you think?

1 minute ago, Tanmim H said:

That sounds good.

NORMALLY If the cost of repairing 'the rust' (and any other problems) is greater than 10% of the purchase price then you stand a chance of getting the purchase price of the boat reduced, or you may get your deposit back and cancel the sale.

What does it say in the purchase contract you have agreed with Whilton ?

33 minutes ago, Tanmim H said:

That sounds good.

Depends on the seller (it may be Whilton themselves) and the contract with the broker.

In my case I showed the survey report to the broker and suggested a price reduction to cover the defects. The broker in turn showed it to the seller, who agreed to reduce the price.

As per the above 2 posts that is why we have been asking these questions - ie who is the owner of the boat (Whilton or a private non-related seller) and what Ts & Cs does the contract have? It's important you know this. M

6 minutes ago, MrsM said:

As per the above 2 posts that is why we have been asking these questions - ie who is the owner of the boat (Whilton or a private non-related seller) and what Ts & Cs does the contract have? It's important you know this. M

The problem with Whilton is they are not always totally honest - I asked about a boat I was looking at and was told it was a 'customers boat on brokerage' however when they left the file open and went to answer the phone there was evidence that they had bought it on part exchange, they owned it but were not prepared to honour the requirements of the law when 'selling in the course of a business' as there was no 'come back' if they sold it 'on brokerage'  and it sank, broke down, or worse.

Whilst wandering around the marina I went up to the end where the workshops are and talked with the guys doing some work, they confirmed it was a 'company boat'.

They make Del Boy look like a paragon of virtue

Edited by Alan de Enfield

12 minutes ago, MrsM said:

As per the above 2 posts that is why we have been asking these questions - ie who is the owner of the boat (Whilton or a private non-related seller) and what Ts & Cs does the contract have? It's important you know this. Mi

I am going on Friday taking my brother with me and I have questions to ask so I will ask who is the owner?

8 minutes ago, Tanmim H said:

I am going on Friday taking my brother with me and I have questions to ask so I will ask who is the owner?

Excellent, I'm really pleased you are taking someone with you. Can I suggest that you put all your questions in an email before then so that you have a written record? Hopefully everything will go smoothly but it won't hurt to have things in writing (and in the worst case might help against dishonesty and trickiness). Have you looked at your pre-purchase contract? Are you happy to share some of the details here? I'm still concerned that Whilton are only interested in rectifying BSS work. The BSS is nothing like an MOT for a car and a boat can be in a poor state but still have a BSS pass.

5 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Excellent, I'm really pleased you are taking someone with you. Can I suggest that you put all your questions in an email before then so that you have a written record? Hopefully everything will go smoothly but it won't hurt to have things in writing (and in the worst case might help against dishonesty and trickiness). Have you looked at your pre-purchase contract? Are you happy to share some of the details here? I'm still concerned that Whilton are only interested in rectifying BSS work. The BSS is nothing like an MOT for a car and a boat can be in a poor state but still have a BSS pass.

I  agree with all you say and I too am glad she wont be alone for her next visit.  Sadly if the brokers are as tricksy as described then its likely they will not reply to an email of questions.   I learnt the hard way very recently that fraudsters will never put anything in writing. 

Edited by Chagall
missing letters

3 minutes ago, Chagall said:

I  agree with all you say and I too am glad she wont be alone for her next visit.  Sadly if the brokers are as tricksy as described then its likely they will not reply to an email of questions.   I learnt the hard way very recently that fraudsters will never put anything in writing. 

That is a very good point. One way round it might be to use wording along the lines of:-

"With reference to the boat I have on deposit, Carrie, I am writing to clarify a number of points. 1. It is my understanding that the boat is not owned by Whilton or anyone associated with you and that you are acting as sales broker for a private seller. Etc etc etc ..... If I do not hear to the contrary I will assume I have a clear and accurate understanding". Very clumsy but that sort of thing perhaps might be useful?

24 minutes ago, MrsM said:

I see.

I will share it with you in a private message if that's okay.

I have not written any questions down?

I don't know exactly what to write but I know I need to ask  who owns the boat?

I am going to write down what I can remember from everyone's suggested here.