Opinions on this please - £50k / 57ft cruiser

MisterP

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

And you know that because you've seen it of course.?

Well when I posted the link I of course knew you would pop up if there was any issues that the OP would need to be aware of. So thankyou for being a good well behaved  doggy.

Given your well established association with RBS, I expected this or does that not exist any longer?

You really are too predictable Matty50s.

A safer bet than any horse in the National for sure.

So if perhaps there is something you think his surveyor might miss then this is your opportunity.

9 minutes ago, matty40s said:

That doesn't answer what I asked though does it?

It's a somewhat lazy response even by your standards.

So given you have obviously seen the Reeves boat is there anything that OP should be aware of?

It's a straightforward question.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

17 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

There is a house in our village that has been on the market for months?? well over a year. At nearly half a million quid it was never expected to sell given it's price and it's location in the centre of a an ex-mining millage. It is massively over the average price for the area. They took it off the market but a couple of weeks back they stuck it back on the market and it pretty well sold straight away.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/96247874#/

That hovers somewhere between gorgeous and grotesque. It just needed that one person to see it and think it was gorgeous.

There's hope for 'Whitefield' yet.

21 minutes ago, MisterP said:

Thankyou @matty40s and @The Happy Nomad for flagging that, really appreciated. Ticks enough of my boxes to warrant taking a look. Am currently on a work posting but if its still there at the end of the month (one can live in hope) then it's an absolute must see.

If it's still there at the end of the month there is something wrong with it

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, MisterP said:

Thankyou @matty40s and @The Happy Nomad for flagging that, really appreciated. Ticks enough of my boxes to warrant taking a look. Am currently on a work posting but if its still there at the end of the month (one can live in hope) then it's an absolute must see.

I guarantee it will be gone within a week. A good shell, professional fit out, one careful owner, I love it, others will too. 

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I guarantee it will be gone within a week. A good shell, professional fit out, one careful owner, I love it, others will too. 

not sure about this one, with a lack of Bumble in the video it may take longer to shift. Week and a half?

2 hours ago, Athy said:

That hovers somewhere between gorgeous and grotesque. It just needed that one person to see it and think it was gorgeous.

There's hope for 'Whitefield' yet.

I think the building is pretty naff looking but look at that courtyard. Just think how many boat projects you could fit in there.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Athy said:

The house, or Whitefield, or both?

Mr. Nomad did mention that the house had sold quickly.

Do you expect me to start reading the posts properly now, I just look at the pretty pictures, that's why I never learnt to spell.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

I think the building is pretty naff looking but look at that courtyard. Just think how many boat projects you could fit in there.

I can just see the courtyard filled with black beamer. 

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I can just see the courtyard filled with black beamer. 

You're  right in that's what it will end up with but to me it's just crying out to be filled with boat projects, trailers and some old Land Rovers dropping oil onto it! We can all dream.

10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Do you expect me to start reading the posts properly now, I just look at the pretty pictures, that's why I never learnt to spell.

:clapping:

Briliant.

The whole market for boats is manic this year. It seems to be at all levels you look at. Prices are significantly higher and boats selling instantly. I phoned up a Welsh brokerage about a few small sailing boats I'd seen on AD last month, from around the £2k to £4k mark. All but one had been sold, some unseen due to restrictions. I was considering doing the same on the £2k boat still left. It was a bit of a hidden gem but additional costs to get it retrieved and transported made it a no-go. That same boat could well have taken time to get little over a grand two years ago.

The boat I ended up with spent less than an hour on ebay before I'd paid the guy 50% deposit. I hadn't even read the advert.  I'd missed out on a previous boat by two minutes. In the time I was on the phone to him his email kept pinging and he had plenty of offers to gazump in the time before I collected. Fortunately for me they were really nice and decent vendors and all went smoothly. It was £1k which was probably what he valued it at based on what he would have paid three or four years earlier. I reckon the market would have bid it up closer to the 2k mark this year as it is old but in good nick and on a good trailer and was here up north whereas getting hold of one would be easier on the south coast. One similar in the water down there went for £600, no trailer, a week later but Boatshed have one on for £2.5k that isn't as good as either that appeared on ebay. Of course, these examples have nothing to do with narrowboats, but trawling through adverts by distance, you notice all 900 odd on ebay at least and the prices on some are jaw dropping compared to the market when the family 60' narrowboat was sold three years ago.

One of the worst things about this sparcity of supply and escalating prices is that it is field day for the scammers.  You know the adverts, massively underpriced desirable car/boat/RV/caravan. Deal can only be completed remotely by transfer and delivery. They'll list hundreds of items off a hacked genuine account. We may have seen them plenty of times but the newcomer, frustrated and desperate to get hold of one can get carried away and transfer money in the heat of the moment.

9 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

One of the worst things about this sparcity of supply and escalating prices is that it is field day for the scammers.  You know the adverts, massively underpriced desirable car/boat/RV/caravan. Deal can only be completed remotely by transfer and delivery. They'll list hundreds of items off a hacked genuine account. We may have seen them plenty of times but the newcomer, frustrated and desperate to get hold of one can get carried away and transfer money in the heat of the moment.

This one appears frequently, random hacked account listing hundreds of high-end or desirable items at half-price or better.

FD114932-DD62-4AFE-880D-1C009FE03C78.png

8D7F3A82-7005-4505-AD20-8F644914B687.png

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Hudds Lad said:

This one appears frequently, random hacked account listing hundreds of high-end or desirable items at half-price or better.

Yep, that Norman has been popping up for a good while. If only it were real! A couple of weeks ago there was a drop of pages worth of boats off a Sheffield located account, all with openng bid of £1.14 or £1.41 iirc. That didn't help matters at all.

9 hours ago, MisterP said:

Too late.

Listed as under offer today.

https://rugbyboats.co.uk/listings/on-reflection-55-cruiser-stern-reeves-2003/

7 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I think that until MrP decides to set some time aside to look at boats he will increasingly suffer from this.

A good boat will sell the day it is advertised, and often before it even gets advertised as it is sold to someone on the brokers waiting list. 

Its no use saying 'I'll have a look at the end of the month', if you are unable to 'drop everything' and go and visit, with a deposit in your hand, then maybe it would be better to wait until you can.

Good luck with your search.

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think that until MrP decides to set some time aside to look at boats he will increasingly suffer from this.

A good boat will sell the day it is advertised, and often before it even gets advertised as it is sold to someone on the brokers waiting list. 

Its no use saying 'I'll have a look at the end of the month', if you are unable to 'drop everything' and go and visit, with a deposit in your hand, then maybe it would be better to wait until you can.

Good luck with your search.

I’ll take that as a lesson learnt. At least now I’m feeling the disappointment it’s woken me up to how quick one needs to be. Lesson learnt! 

• Love 1