Opinions on this please - £50k / 57ft cruiser

MisterP

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I was interested in a boat through a broker, two phone calls and I discovered it was subject to a debt.

It would be unusual, although still possible, for a boat to be subject to a debt. Most loans for boat purchase are personal loans and remain with the vendor if the boat is sold. That said, there is no way of telling if a particular boat has been used as security for a marine mortgage, and buying from a broker is no guarantee that the boat is debt free.

Under a proper contract of sale the vendor will sign to say that there is no debt on the boat, but if that turns out to be untrue, the finance company can still claim the boat, leaving the buyer to chase the seller to get his money back. One reason why you shouldn't buy a boat on the basis of a carrier bag of used fivers and a handshake, as has been advised by some here.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I know what you mean, but to be clear: this commission is taken out of the agreed price, not (as for example in antiques auctions) added on top.

Don't most brokers advertise their boats on Apollo Duck, just as many estate agents advertise their houses on Rightmove?

Do not think Calcutt Boats advertise on Apollo Duck and they do brokerage

7 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Do not think Calcutt Boats advertise on Apollo Duck and they do brokerage

I did say "most", not "all".

For example, ABC, Rugby Boats and ABNB, all major brokers, do.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I know what you mean, but to be clear: this commission is taken out of the agreed price, not (as for example in antiques auctions) added on top.

Don't most brokers advertise their boats on Apollo Duck, just as many estate agents advertise their houses on Rightmove?

Sometimes they do, but at the moment boats seem to be in short supply, so they can sell them without extra payment to ApolloDuck, or possible there are just very few boats for sale at the moment, remember no one has been able to visit their boats for six months. 

1 hour ago, Athy said:

problem being, especially with a certain broker, those boats are long since sold. although they are now slowly starting to update the listings to have SALE AGREED etc. in the first line of descriptive text.

as an example, a boat we were to look at way before Covid happened but was sold before we set off to view is still listed on ApolloDuck

A word of advice. If you find a boat you even remotely like and want to buy then its too late the next day. Boats that are any good and not a rip off price are selling immediately at present. I didnt even advertise my boat as for sale and a savvy new forum member who was studying this forum sent me a pm and drove near on 3 hours for a look and bought it, no messing for him or for me. He had been looking for nearly a year. He got a very good deal as did I as no tyre kickers or brokering fees so both onto a winner. So keep your eye out on forums and such places and you may buy/sell without hassle in the present climate.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

A word of advice. If you find a boat you even remotely like and want to buy then its too late the next day. Boats that are any good and not a rip off price are selling immediately at present. I didnt even advertise my boat as for sale and a savvy new forum member who was studying this forum sent me a pm and drove near on 3 hours for a look and bought it, no messing for him or for me. He had been looking for nearly a year. He got a very good deal as did I as no tyre kickers or brokering fees so both onto a winner. So keep your eye out on forums and such places and you may buy/sell without hassle in the present climate.

My thoughts exactly as I've finally reached a stage where I have no ties and can just get on with it. Seen a few boats over the last 12 months where I'd have loved to put in an offer but didn't have all my stars aligned. No more, I'm now free to put in an offer ASAP as I would have done with the this East West one had it ticked enough boxes.

• Greenie 1

Just now, MisterP said:

My thoughts exactly as I've finally reached a stage where I have no ties and can just get on with it. Seen a few boats over the last 12 months where I'd have loved to put in an offer but didn't have all my stars aligned. No more, I'm now free to put in an offer ASAP as I would have done with the this East West one had it ticked enough boxes.

Correct. Cash is still King, my buyer had it all in his current account. Houses are also selling immediately at present but cash buyers still trump poor sods needing a mortgage, such is life.

22 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Correct. Cash is still King, my buyer had it all in his current account. Houses are also selling immediately at present but cash buyers still trump poor sods needing a mortgage, such is life.

There is a house in our village that has been on the market for months?? well over a year. At nearly half a million quid it was never expected to sell given it's price and it's location in the centre of a an ex-mining millage. It is massively over the average price for the area. They took it off the market but a couple of weeks back they stuck it back on the market and it pretty well sold straight away.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/96247874#/

Don't know anything about the builder or brokers but unless the pump out equipment is taking up huge space or something I would leave the whole horrible thing in situ and just plonk a cassette loo in , might need to modify a few bits and pieces. The seating arrangement up the front just carefully remove it then see what you 're left with.

1 minute ago, Bee said:

Don't know anything about the builder or brokers but unless the pump out equipment is taking up huge space or something I would leave the whole horrible thing in situ and just plonk a cassette loo in , might need to modify a few bits and pieces. The seating arrangement up the front just carefully remove it then see what you 're left with.

Thanks, those tips will come in useful for the next shortlisted boat. This one dropped off my list following the incredibly useful scrutiny of the many excellent forum comments.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

There has just been one come up on FaceBook and she was receiving messages within 10 minutes,  

3 minutes ago, MisterP said:

Thanks, those tips will come in useful for the next shortlisted boat. This one dropped off my list following the incredibly useful scrutiny of the many excellent forum comments.

I don't know for certain where the pump out tank will be on that particular boat but looking at the location of the loo and the proximity of the bed in the bedroom I would reckon it's under the bed. This is the exact arrangement we had on our boat if it is. When looking at future boats check this out, you can easily see the tank under the bed by lifting the mattress.

If it is and if swapping to a cassette it is defiantly worth removing the tank too especially if it's a plastic tank like ours was. You can gain a huge amount of storage for lesser used items if you do. The only down side was the tank had to be cut up to be removed.............yuk. (But we didn't do do it Aqua Narrowboats took on the task).

If it turns out to be a steel tank integrated with the hull (which some boats have) you will be left with the only sensible option which is to cap the tank off and leave it in situ. Not a big issue but you don't gain the space.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I do not agree with you. Have you ever had to prove to an estate agent that you have the cash to buy the house ?

40 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I do not agree with you. Have you ever had to prove to an estate agent that you have the cash to buy the house ?

Yes  , yesterday actualy as I am buying a house as a cash buyer. Its easy to comply with. As a  cash buyer I put an offer in last week which was below asking price and accepted. Because cash is King and always will be, no hoping  for a mortgage or loan to the seller so you trump the field. The bloke who bought my boat was in the same situation when he made me an offer.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes  , yesterday actualy as I am buying a house as a cash buyer.

We were in a similar situation we had sold our house in Cheshire and it had sold for a more than we were paying for the farm in Wales.

Solicitor sees bank balance, no problem with mortgages / lenders.

Bank transfer and 'job done'.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

We were in a similar situation we had sold our house in Cheshire and it had sold for a more than we were paying for the farm in Wales.

Yes, it was a little harder for us as we couldnt supply such as a utility bill or council tax etc as living on a boat you dont have them or a post code as the boat doesnt have one. However NI numbers, passport and driving licence and proof where some money come when we sold house last in 2007 and after a couple of phone calls job done. It may help that I dont quite look like a drugs baron and as part of my proof of ID I sometimes play the ( X job ) card that shows where my pension is coming from. Sometimes ya have to do these things ?

23 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes  , yesterday actualy as I am buying a house as a cash buyer. Its easy to comply with. As a  cash buyer I put an offer in last week which was below asking price and accepted. Because cash is King and always will be, no hoping  for a mortgage or loan to the seller so you trump the field. The bloke who bought my boat was in the same situation when he made me an offer.

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well we did as above last year and also bought a house for cash in 2008 but in both cases have not had to prove to the estate agent that we actually had the cash

3 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

problem being, especially with a certain broker, those boats are long since sold. although they are now slowly starting to update the listings to have SALE AGREED etc. in the first line of descriptive text.

as an example, a boat we were to look at way before Covid happened but was sold before we set off to view is still listed on ApolloDuck

I get frustrated by Apollo Duck adverts appearing when the boats status is changed to sold or sale agreed (without the updated headline) but I know the brokers do it to attract attention "look I've sold another one".  I sent a request to Apollo Duck to add a search filter based on "For Sale", "Sale Agreed" etc.  I wasn't expecting a reply and so far they have met my expectations.

• Greenie 1