Opinions on this please - £50k / 57ft cruiser

MisterP

Featured Posts

Very, very interested in this 57 footer. Any opinions on value (yes, I know this are subjective) and other things that may cause concern. Full write-up also attached. Am now in a position to buy and finally get going. No hints of hull condition but am hopeful a survey won't throw anything too negative up.

Also, guesstimates on the cost of:

- removing the pumpout in place of a cassette

- removing the 'lounge' seating area to make it open plan

Thanks.

Custom East West Narrowboats Tingdene Boat Sales.pdf

Edited by MisterP
spelling

1 minute ago, MisterP said:

Any opinions

The woodwork on East-West boats is Bamboo (it would be wouldn't it), Bamboo doesn't take too kindly to English weather and the cupboards, doors etc have been known to deform, swell, shrink and generally cause problems. Have a good look at them, if they are still OK now, they have probably been trimmed/adjusted and have stabilsed.

East West boats are also noted for their very vertical tumblehome, which can be an issue in some bridges and tunnels.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

3 minutes ago, MisterP said:

Wow. Can't remember seeing much for £40k that would be in this condition in the last year.

Please look further. I sold my much superior boat to this yesterday with a far higher spec and pedigree for just a few grand more than this. Ss others have said its way overpriced.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Please look further. I sold my much superior boat to this yesterday with a far higher spec and pedigree for just a few grand more than this. Ss others have said its way overpriced.

Thanks, all good advice and much appreciated ?

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Well over priced. 

My opinion which you asked for,                    Horrible boats, horrible fittings, all the wrong shape. Chinese poor attempt.  Well you asked!

I did, and appreciate the candid response ?

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, MisterP said:

Wow. Can't remember seeing much for £40k that would be in this condition in the last year.

You're right, 50k for a shiny 14 year old liveaboard wouldn't be unreasonable in this market, people just don't rate the boatbuilder

(I have no opinion but have been told "don't buy Chinese boats" by a broker before)

East West boats have held their values and seem to be selling for more than they did a few years ago in recent cases.

Most of the bamboo problems will either have been sorted out by now, or will not occur if you are living aboard and have heat on in Winter.

Probably worth a punt with a lower offer.

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

East West boats have held their values and seem to be selling for more than they did a few years ago in recent cases.

Most of the bamboo problems will either have been sorted out by now, or will not occur if you are living aboard and have heat on in Winter.

Probably worth a punt with a lower offer.

Possibly if someone is desperate for a boat, but only at a lot less cash. But still a horrible shape and of dubious resale value. As for that front door handle, it doesn't even fit the door stile!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Didnt the East West boats have very poor electrical installations hidden away behind the woodwork

Not sure about the bits you cant see but the bits you can seem less than impressive. There is a row of wonky out of line sockets/switches and the washing machine install looks less than tidy (though its poss this was a retro fit).

The new one we looked at in 2008/9 had similar and it could just be my OCD but its not a good sign. The grout was also missing from the a large swathe of the tiles in the shower on that boat too.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

41 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Possibly if someone is desperate for a boat, but only at a lot less cash. But still a horrible shape and of dubious resale value. As for that front door handle, it doesn't even fit the door stile!

It beggars belief that £50k is being asked for this , didn't Gayzing buy one of these last year although a shorter length ? He bought his from Whilton , it was originally called Hosanna and was moored on the offside between Fenny and Willowbridge on the GU South . I have always looked out for Gayzing but havent encountered him thus far .

Edited by Parahandy

3 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

It beggars belief that £50k is being asked for this , didn't Gayzing buy one of these last year although a shorter length ? He bought his from Whilton , it was originally called Hosanna and was moored on the offside between Fenny and Willowbridge on the GU South . I have always looked out for Gayzing but havent encountered him thus far .

He was moored just up from you when the Foxes Afloat boys came through MK last autumn.

17 hours ago, MisterP said:

Thanks, all good advice and much appreciated ?

Remember, a broker will take his commission, so that adds to the price, I thought it looked like a nice fit out, though it is only one step from a container on looks, but the forumites have given their opinion, so OP will look elsewhere.

I don't see a lot of boats on ApolloDuck, so I'd be looking at brokers' sites. ABNB and Rugby Boats often have good boats, but assume not all of them are good :). All  brokers are acting for the vendor, no matter how good their customer relations.

Be wary of losing your deposit if the survey puts you off purchasing. 

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Remember, a broker will take his commission, so that adds to the price, I thought it looked like a nice fit out, though it is only one step from a container on looks, but the forumites have given their opinion, so OP will look elsewhere. I don't see a lot of boats on ApolloDuck, so I'd be looking at brokers' sites. ABNB and Rugby Boats often have good boats, but not all of them are good. All  brokers are acting for the vendor, no matter how good their customer relations. 

Signed up to all the brokers. One thing that put me off this boat which I hadn't considered at all was how attractive it would be to the next prospective owner after me. I think if I had bought this one that would have really played on my mind from the off. That's not something I've felt with other boats I've been very keen on. A lot of very helpful comments here.

Rugby Boats have had a fair few I've been interested in but not quite been in the right position to buy.

I keep an eye out on Apollo Duck but am almost certainly going to pay the extra margin and go via a broker.

Thanks again for all the help, I'll keep looking.

1 minute ago, MisterP said:

Signed up to all the brokers. One thing that put me off this boat which I hadn't considered at all was how attractive it would be to the next prospective owner after me. I think if I had bought this one that would have really played on my mind from the off. That's not something I've felt with other boats I've been very keen on. A lot of very helpful comments here.

Rugby Boats have had a fair few I've been interested in but not quite been in the right position to buy.

I keep an eye out on Apollo Duck but am almost certainly going to pay the extra margin and go via a broker.

Thanks again for all the help, I'll keep looking.

I was interested in a boat through a broker, two phone calls and I discovered it was subject to a debt. Not that the broker was interested, but I walked away. So don't assume you get any sort of protection by using a broker. Unless, unusually, the broker owns the boat. In that case he has to comply with Trading Laws, essentially 'fit for purpose'. 

26 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Remember, a broker will take his commission, so that adds to the price,

I know what you mean, but to be clear: this commission is taken out of the agreed price, not (as for example in antiques auctions) added on top.

27 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't see a lot of boats on ApolloDuck, so I'd be looking at brokers' sites.

Don't most brokers advertise their boats on Apollo Duck, just as many estate agents advertise their houses on Rightmove?