Prepping roof for a new ceiling

Featured Posts

On 06/04/2021 at 17:07, LadyG said:

Not sure where fibreglass comes in to it, but you need to click and collect at Screwfix

3m masks, the good ones

Safety Goggles

Safety Glasses

Gloves, decent things for protection

A scraper

Cup brush on a drill or an angle grinder

Dust sheets if you are fussy

Wet n dry vac

A dremel drill will get right in to the rust, it's all got to go. 

Her Honourable Ladyship must think everybody else hasn't got a clue about anything and believes that only her recipe (for disaster?) applies 'cos of her vast experience of 40 years sailing the briny .............

I have never met her but I have this cartoon picture in my mind of a Popeye/Harry Enfield type person wearing sea-boots and smoking a pipe and rushing about telling everyone she meets that "you don't want to do it like that - do it like this ............... "

............   just sayin'.  

PS : other suppliers than Screwfix are available.  :rolleyes:

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

I have never met her but I have this cartoon picture in my mind

Amazing how we all have slightly differing views, mine is :

Standing in the queue at the Post Office, or the Supermarket till, when a 'waft of mothballs' appears, closely followed by a blue rinse, and a crackling voice shouting "priority, ...........  in a hurry, let me in, in a hurry, let me in"

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/04/2021 at 08:06, Murflynn said:

I have never met her but I have this cartoon picture in my mind of a Popeye/Harry Enfield type person wearing sea-boots and smoking a pipe and rushing about telling everyone she meets that "you don't want to do it like that - do it like this ............... "

Middle bottom is an image that comes to my mind every so often... less often these days, which is a bonus. I always thought he was a short arse who wore brogues, drove an Alfa Romeo, and mixed with the students in the pub after work, (the bloke in the picture, that is ;)  ).

1770752887_YoungOnesManager.jpg.220b29f404783243af955e39be98dd5f.jpg

Currently going through a complete refit.

with regard to itchy fibreglass, we used 

https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-insulation-roll-l-6m-w-0-37m-t-100mm/3663602481812_BQ.prd

more expensive but no itch!

we have also gone for a baton / t&g approach, big learning curve, but the first room (which we have learnt and improved on for the next room) has lasted well.

here is a before and after photo, the whole thing is still work in progress. 

2DB79DA4-F56F-4D5A-BD2E-98323A9ED11B.jpeg

10 hours ago, Nemysys said:

Currently going through a complete refit.

with regard to itchy fibreglass, we used 

https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-insulation-roll-l-6m-w-0-37m-t-100mm/3663602481812_BQ.prd

more expensive but no itch!

we have also gone for a baton / t&g approach, big learning curve, but the first room (which we have learnt and improved on for the next room) has lasted well.

here is a before and after photo, the whole thing is still work in progress. 

2DB79DA4-F56F-4D5A-BD2E-98323A9ED11B.jpeg

looking very swish :)

• 1 month later...
On 06/04/2021 at 18:36, LadyG said:

Exactly, and as I have almost no tools, or power, it would be great if they could cut to order. I have been using oak trim, so oak veneer seems like it, but I have asked a good boat fitter if he can fit in two days cabinet work, re vamping  my galley, so awaiting his response before I try do do it myself

You won't get very far trying to do it yourself without any tools. As for buying pre-cut ply and getting it right, good luck with that. You don't get too many straight lines square to each other on boats

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Feeby100 said:

Sorry I mean 

when you put wood on metal do I need to put a bit of insulation on the metal beam or foam to bridge gap ?

How are you fixing the wood to the steel? Usually its with a PU adhesive. The wood should be treated to prevent it rotting. Insulation goes between the battens not behind them.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

I screwed the batons straight to the steel beams using self tapping screws (had to predrill a small pilot hole first). The batons I used were pretreated  - I've got a few spare I don't need so if you happen to be around the Limehouse area you can have them