Country File BBC1 Sunday 11th April 6pm

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I am not an expert on aquatic life, but isn't it possible that reducing the water temperature slightly will also reduce the reed population?  So  a win-win! ?

Reduce the reeds, they are busy planting them, or did you miss that bit. I remember many years ago BW tried heating a service block using a heat pump and canal heat source. Can't find any mention of it now.
On heat pumps, do you think the actual pump would have a longer life than a boiler?

I did find this https://www.kensaheatpumps.com/ground-source-review-sabrina-5-canal-barge/ I wonder if it still works

Edited by ditchcrawler

1 hour ago, Rambling Boater said:

On boat diesel engines. I'm not adverse to the idea of electric motors (even though I have a trad engine) but to put the usual BBC bias crap in perspective, a large cruise ship consumes around 80,000 gallons of fuel per day. I consume on average just over half a gallon per day.

If all 35,000(?) boats were let loose on the inland waterways in one day(God forbid!) I doubt the fuel consumption would get anywhere near the equivalent of one large cruise ship.

Are those (cruise ship) gallons US gallons or Imperial? I really wish people would make clear what units they are using.

I think the canals should be filled in, thus making a linear park for all to enjoy, narrowboats could be fixed at various points with only the pretty ones chosen for this privilege. They will be obliged not to pollute the park and limited to use only during the summer months and the licence fee will reflect this.  All of the boats will be required to have composting toilets because the elsan units will be closed and turned into ice cream parlours.  The valuable compost can be sold to improve the parks flora and fauna with only a nominal amount of the profits returned to the licensing authority. 

Diesel will be banned so services with that function will be turned into business units to service the park. They would of course pay a considerable fee to  C&RT for that benefit.   Historic ex working boats will need to pass stringent heath and safety requirements because they will be turned into museum structures  illustrating the relevant history of the working canal system.  Likewise the fixed boat units selling traditional crafts will be controlled by a fee structure, those most successful at selling tat will be invoiced accordingly. 

Cyclists will be compensated for the fact that they will have to dismount to operate swing bridges. They would be limited to the central reservation and fined if they use the walkway.   Frustrated anglers will be allocated ponds created by local run off water, they will need to prove proficiency in their chosen hobby and fees will fluctuate as fish levels are monitored by C&RT employees. 

Promenade Theatre along the concreted cycle way will be actively encouraged and tiered seating will be made available for use on the public walkways. Charges for these will be variable depending on the production company used.  Those production companies will also need to tender a bid for the most popular and drier months.  Cyclists would again be compensated for the inconvenience of their travel route being restricted to a narrow band behind the theatrical scenes and performance. 

Please feel free to add further comments that  would make this proposition a plausible solution to the rapidly increasing stoppage notices. 

....and would somebody please wake me up!!!

9 minutes ago, Chagall said:

Please feel free to add further comments that  would make this proposition a plausible solution to the rapidly increasing stoppage notices. 

Give the canals and the infrastructure to someone who cares about it (and the 'history'), and is prepared to invest in maintaining it rather than trying to close it down and make cycle 'motorways'.

The National Trust was founded on the simple and enduring idea that people need historic, beautiful and natural places. They offer us perspective, escape, relaxation and a sense of identity. The natural world also gives us fresh air, clean water and clear seas.

Despite this, these places are under greater threat than ever before.

Looking after the places in our care now and in the future is our first responsibility. But our strategy is also about how we rise to the big challenges of the 21st century and how we work with others to find solutions.

We’ll spend around £1bn over the next ten years on the conservation of our houses, gardens and countryside, including £300m on clearing the backlog of repairs. We’ll continue to play our part in mitigating climate change, cutting our energy usage by 20 per cent by 2020 and sourcing 50 per cent of that from renewable sources on our land.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

7 minutes ago, Chagall said:

I think the canals should be filled in, thus making a linear park for all to enjoy, narrowboats could be fixed at various points with only the pretty ones chosen for this privilege. They will be obliged not to pollute the park and limited to use only during the summer months and the licence fee will reflect this.  All of the boats will be required to have composting toilets because the elsan units will be closed and turned into ice cream parlours.  The valuable compost can be sold to improve the parks flora and fauna with only a nominal amount of the profits returned to the licensing authority. 

Diesel will be banned so services with that function will be turned into business units to service the park. They would of course pay a considerable fee to  C&RT for that benefit.   Historic ex working boats will need to pass stringent heath and safety requirements because they will be turned into museum structures  illustrating the relevant history of the working canal system.  Likewise the fixed boat units selling traditional crafts will be controlled by a fee structure, those most successful at selling tat will be invoiced accordingly. 

Cyclists will be compensated for the fact that they will have to dismount to operate swing bridges. They would be limited to the central reservation and fined if they use the walkway.   Frustrated anglers will be allocated ponds created by local run off water, they will need to prove proficiency in their chosen hobby and fees will fluctuate as fish levels are monitored by C&RT employees. 

Promenade Theatre along the concreted cycle way will be actively encouraged and tiered seating will be made available for use on the public walkways. Charges for these will be variable depending on the production company used.  Those production companies will also need to tender a bid for the most popular and drier months.  Cyclists would again be compensated for the inconvenience of their travel route being restricted to a narrow band behind the theatrical scenes and performance. 

....and would somebody please wake me up!!!

A CRT manager is submitting this as a valid business proposal as I type.....I believe it will be passed by the trustees this afternoon. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Give the canals and the infrastructure to someone who cares about it (and the 'history'), and is prepared to invest in maintaining it rather than trying to close it down and make cycle 'motorways'.

And who would you suggest would take them on and invest in them?

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

And who would you suggest would take them on and invest in them?

A charity that has a proven history of looking after 200+ year old infrastructure, is well organised and managed, generates a huge amount of charitable giving, whose priority is :

The simple and enduring idea that people need historic, beautiful and natural places. They offer us perspective, escape, relaxation and a sense of identity. The natural world also gives us fresh air, clean water and clear seas.

A charity who are completely independent of Government funding and rely on income from membership fees, donations and legacies and revenue raised from our commercial operations, such as our tea rooms and holiday cottages. 

5 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

Are those (cruise ship) gallons US gallons or Imperial? I really wish people would make clear what units they are using.

Although the figure of 80,000 gallons of fuel per day is quoted in several Google items I haven't found an answer too that. 

"The Harmony, owned by Royal Caribbean, has two four-storey high 16-cylinder Wärtsilä engines which would, at full power, each burn 1,377 US gallons of fuel an hour, or about 66,000 gallons a day of some of the most polluting diesel fuel in the world."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/may/21/the-worlds-largest-cruise-ship-and-its-supersized-pollution-problem

Interesting article if one wants to get a true comparison of the harm caused by us inland boaters with diesel engines against those paying for leisure cruises around the world.

Edited by Athy
At Rambling Boater's request
  • Greenie 2
  • Horror 1

16 hours ago, Murflynn said:

so you think it's appropriate that we should have to pay to watch CRT's propaganda that belittles the efforts and blood sweat and tears shed by so many forgotten amateur canal restorers?  

tonight's Countryfile has IMHO clearly established that the UK is now subjected to blatant fake news by the publicly-owned broadcasting company.    The Fox News of Britain.

If you think that was an example of fox news, I suggest you watch some actual fox news coverage. Try a bit of its ‘political’ coverage, then tell us you want that.

22 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A charity that has a proven history of looking after 200+ year old infrastructure, is well organised and managed, generates a huge amount of charitable giving, whose priority is :

The simple and enduring idea that people need historic, beautiful and natural places. They offer us perspective, escape, relaxation and a sense of identity. The natural world also gives us fresh air, clean water and clear seas.

A charity who are completely independent of Government funding and rely on income from membership fees, donations and legacies and revenue raised from our commercial operations, such as our tea rooms and holiday cottages. 

But would the National Trust survive without the portfolio of properties and gardens they are able to charge an admission fee for visitors...?  Should the canals be returned to a network of fenced off towpaths that you have to pay to access and then see how many people visit.

3 minutes ago, canalboat said:

Personally - the only bit of country file worth watching is any part presented by Elle Harrison ?

Seconded.

She can sing too.

35 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The National Trust was founded on the simple and enduring idea that people need historic, beautiful and natural places. They offer us perspective, escape, relaxation and a sense of identity. The natural world also gives us fresh air, clean water and clear seas.

Despite this, these places are under greater threat than ever before.

Looking after the places in our care now and in the future is our first responsibility. But our strategy is also about how we rise to the big challenges of the 21st century and how we work with others to find solutions.

We’ll spend around £1bn over the next ten years on the conservation of our houses, gardens and countryside, including £300m on clearing the backlog of repairs. We’ll continue to play our part in mitigating climate change, cutting our energy usage by 20 per cent by 2020 and sourcing 50 per cent of that from renewable sources on our land.

Don't the National Trust own and maintain the Wey Navigation? From my recollection of travelling on there, their efforts at infrastructure maintenance are well below those of CRT. When getting onto the Wey from the Thames my journey was delayed whilst they nailed a piece of marine ply across a hole that had appeared in the lock gate, not a leaking paddle but a full-on hole through the gate. Most of the other locks needed maintenance.

Need to be careful what we wish for, the grass often isn't greener on the other side:unsure:

2 hours ago, canalboat said:

Personally - the only bit of country file worth watching is any part presented by Elle Harrison ?

She is barking mad! Had her arm cut the same number of times as years she had been with her partner.

https://metro.co.uk/2017/04/16/countryfiles-ellie-harrison-admits-to-scarring-her-arms-as-great-offering-for-partner-6578540/amp/

Edited by Loddon
  • Angry 1

4 minutes ago, Loddon said:

She is barking mad! Cut her arm the same number of times as years she had been with her partner.

That's self harm

https://metro.co.uk/2017/04/16/countryfiles-ellie-harrison-admits-to-scarring-her-arms-as-great-offering-for-partner-6578540/amp/

Its not self harm....she went to a body mod person to have it done....thats very different to self harm trust me...and statements such as yours dont help either those that do self harm or those who like body modification in its many forms. Please get your fact straight!

Edited by frangar
typo

10 minutes ago, Loddon said:

That's self harm

Surely self arm?

8 minutes ago, frangar said:

Its not self harm....she went to a body mod person to have it done....thats very different to self harm trust me...and statements such as yours dont help either those that do self harm or those who like body modification in its many forms. Please get your fact straight!

Call it what you will, it still sounds barking mad.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Surely self arm?

Call it what you will, it still sounds barking mad.

Your humour isnt funny...

Body modification is very different from self harm...I have many friends including my partners who enjoy tattoos/piercing/branding etc. Just because its not to your taste doesn't mean its wrong.

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

Your humour isnt funny...

Thank you for your opinion, which has been noted.

6 minutes ago, frangar said:

.I have many friends including my partners who enjoy tattoos

Blimey, how many you got then?

2 hours ago, Rambling Boater said:

...which would, at full power, each burn 1,377 US gallons of fuel an hour, or about 66,000 gallons a day...

Someone please check my maths. 1,377 x 24 = ?

The article has already multiplied by two so it doesn't need doing again (which doesn't prevent it being an eye watering amount of fuel)

2 hours ago, 1st ade said:

Someone please check my maths. 1,377 x 24 = ?

The article has already multiplied by two so it doesn't need doing again (which doesn't prevent it being an eye watering amount of fuel)

Well spotted. Have asked mod to remove incorrect sentence. PS Is it normal not to be able to edit posts even if it's the same day? Seems a bit odd.

Edited by Rambling Boater