Country File BBC1 Sunday 11th April 6pm

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

There is no compulsion to watch anything. 

Not even endless kowtowing to so-called royalty. 

you miss the point by a farmer's mile:  there is a compulsion to pay the licence fee if you have apparatus that can deliver BBC TV even if you choose not to watch it.

the fee is only spent on BBC services. 

my brother was harrassed at 3 addresses in the good old days of the "detector vans" but never had a TV until 3 years ago when he moved to France.  On 2 occasions they demanded entry so they could see for themselves, but he replied that if they weren't from HMRC or the police with a warrant they could piss off.

They could have used much of the historical footage and commentary from their own programme " The golden age of canals" which features a lot on restoration especially of the Huddersfield Narrow.   It also goes into how the IWA was formed by Rolt and Aikman.  But they chose to write a new script.

BTW the comment about CRT saving the canals is at 19.46.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

I too just watched on catch-up, but perhaps it was a different version as I certainly did hear said as Murflynn reported that the canals fell into disrepair after commercial use dried up, and only the intervention of CRT allowed the canals to be brought back from a state of dereliction, all achieved since 2012.

Yes, I too noticed that, and commented on it to Mrs. Athy. We thought that perhaps the BBC had asked CART to provide some background information to help the presenters. That part, at least, was misleading.

I did like the London moorings warden's splendidly cross-cultural name: Jamal Thomas-Jones.

32 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

They could have used much of the historical footage and commentary from their own programme " The golden age of canals" which features a lot on restoration especially of the Huddersfield Narrow.   It also goes into how the IWA was formed by Rolt and Aikman.  But they chose to write a new script.

BTW the comment about CRT saving the canals is at 19.46.

That comment was specific to the Regents Canal not canals in general.

Screenshot_20210412-082554_BBC iPlayer.jpg

9 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

But regardless the program was dissapointing in terms of content and including bits not relevant to canals at all when easily they could dedicate a whole program to them, that was mystifying.

The Country File program , which I enjoy as it covers a wide range of subjects to do with the country side.  I thought the canals got a lot more coverage throughout the program than most subjects do.  It was not a canal program ? 

haggis

4 minutes ago, haggis said:

The Country File program , which I enjoy as it covers a wide range of subjects to do with the country side.  I thought the canals got a lot more coverage throughout the program than most subjects do.  It was not a canal program ? 

haggis

It might not be a canal programme but it could get the facts it presents correct. Sadly as with many bbc programmes the correct facts seem to be no longer relevant especially if anything can be sensationalised. 

12 minutes ago, haggis said:

haggis

Very true, we are regular watchers, but as the program was entitled 'Canals' I was expecting a bit more. There are after all enough opportunities to delve into the impact and benefit of canals and waterways on the environment to fill an hours program.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

It might not be a canal programme but it could get the facts it presents correct. Sadly as with many bbc programmes the correct facts seem to be no longer relevant especially if anything can be sensationalised. 

I am not disagreeing with you. Some of it gave the wrong impression about the canals. I posted what I did  as Nomad seemed to imply that they could have included more canal coverage and not covered other aspects of country matters. 

haggis

26 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

...................  and, if that is the case, then it was not obvious to most folk who watch it, most of whom are not riveted to the screen, carefully analysing the precise meaning of every potentially ambiguous statement.

During my 45 years as an engineer, I was expected to be able to address meetings of every group involved, from the Client at progress review meetings to the workforce at elfin safety courses and toolbox talks.  It was essential that every statement made was completely unambiguous - and my job was not primarily about communication.  Journalists, presenters, producers and editors' work is primarily about communication, and sadly whenever I watch a TV documentary about a subject with which I am familiar, I find it is substantially inaccurate. 

Those meedya folk really need to get a formal and disciplined edumacashun, innit?

Edited by Murflynn
  • Greenie 1

Just now, Murflynn said:

...................  and, if that is the case, then it was not obvious to most folk who watch it, most of whom are not riveted to the screen, carefully analysing the precise meaning of every potentially ambiguous statement.

If you say so. That section of the program was specifically about the Regents Canal though.

9 minutes ago, haggis said:

I am not disagreeing with you. Some of it gave the wrong impression about the canals. I posted what I did  as Nomad seemed to imply that they could have included more canal coverage and not covered other aspects of country matters. 

haggis

That would have required Nomad to admit he was wrong and whilst it might be snowing hell hast yet frozen over.....

I think that the previous Countryfile canal editions featuring the GU was much better:

BBC iPlayer - Countryfile - Grand Union Canal

I was looking forward to last night's edition as the Regents is local to me but found it very disappointing as it did not begin to cover the issues that affect the biodiversity of central london's canals, I also wondered why they were reporting on it's 200th anniversary which was last year!

Edited by Tim Lewis

9 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

During my 45 years as an engineer, I was expected to be able to address meetings of every group involved, from the Client at progress review meetings to the workforce at elfin safety courses and toolbox talks.  It was essential that every statement made was completely unambiguous - and my job was not primarily about communication.  Journalists, presenters, producers and editors' work is primarily about communication, and sadly whenever I watch a TV documentary about a subject with which I am familiar, I find it is substantially inaccurate. 

Those meedya folk really need to get a formal and disciplined edumacashun, innit?

Your second bit is correct. I had to do similar in my job, accuracy and precision was extremely important. But then we weren't entertaining the masses. BBC journalism has slipped in its standards even down to some poor accuracy in typing on their web site that seem to get through. And dont get me started on their reporting of the pandemic.

11 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

I think that the previous Countryfile canal editions featuring the GU was much better:

BBC iPlayer - Countryfile - Grand Union Canal

I was looking forward to last night's edition as the Regents is local to me but found it very disappointing as it did not begin to cover the issues that affect the biodiversity of central london's canals, I also wondered why they were reporting on it's 200th anniversary which was last year!

Maybe there were some segments they wanted to include and film but couldnt last year due to the pandemic? That said if that was the case they should really have said so.

52 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Screenshot_20210412-082554_BBC iPlayer.jpg

Still bollox though, Regents canal was fine 20years ago, in fact better than it is now.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

you miss the point by a farmer's mile:  there is a compulsion to pay the licence fee if you have apparatus that can deliver BBC TV even if you choose not to watch it.

the fee is only spent on BBC services. 

my brother was harrassed at 3 addresses in the good old days of the "detector vans" but never had a TV until 3 years ago when he moved to France.  On 2 occasions they demanded entry so they could see for themselves, but he replied that if they weren't from HMRC or the police with a warrant they could piss off.

This is not completely true. Yes most of the the fee covers BBC services but a "Part of the fee also contributes towards the UK broadband rollout, funding local TV channels and S4C, the Welsh language TV channel." (copied from the tv licencing web site). I also thought that Channel 4 got some licence fee money too but I can't see that on the web site.

• Greenie 1

On boat diesel engines. I'm not adverse to the idea of electric motors (even though I have a trad engine) but to put the usual BBC bias crap in perspective, a large cruise ship consumes around 80,000 gallons of fuel per day. I consume on average just over half a gallon per day.

If all 35,000(?) boats were let loose on the inland waterways in one day(God forbid!) I doubt the fuel consumption would get anywhere near the equivalent of one large cruise ship.

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Maybe there were some segments they wanted to include and film but couldnt last year due to the pandemic? That said if that was the case they should really have said so.

There was a comment made that it was a delayed 200 year anniversary from last year.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

No it wasn't, no one was setting wild flowers on little rafts or trying to make the canal into a wild river

That was bizarre was it not?

14 hours ago, DaveR said:

So taking heat out of the canal water will be better for the environment on CO2 production but with no mention of the impact on the aquatic life.

CaRT have been populating the sides of the canal with reeds for many years, no mention on how they will control them or remove them when they block navigation, as they do in quite a few places now. ...

I am not an expert on aquatic life, but isn't it possible that reducing the water temperature slightly will also reduce the reed population?  So  a win-win! ?