Country File BBC1 Sunday 11th April 6pm

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

Lets hope it is shown.  But i think it more likely it will be pushed to next week or postponed long term. 

Still sceduled so far.

Screenshot_20210411-104411_Chrome.jpg

Wow!

I never realised how little I knew about the canals.

I never knew that the canals fell into disrepair after commercial use dried up, and only the intervention of CRT allowed the canals to be brought back from a state of dereliction, which has all been achieved since 2012. Apparently the efforts of the hundreds of thousands of enthusiasts who actually restored so many canals, such as the K&A, was just a bad dream.

I never knew that frogspawn appears in ponds "and the frogs are not far behind". The diver/reporter showed the frogs mating among clouds of frogspawn. I guess I need to revise my understanding of the birds, frogs and bees.

Like the disastrous BBC coverage of the Jubilee parade on the Thames, the final programme was clearly ruined by the clever just-out-of-nappies producers who edit and sequence the input to produce an entirely misleading scenario. WHAT A LOAD OF BOLLOX!!

High time the BBC was made to be competitive and to finance itself through sponsorship and advertising (but I'll bet that CRT wrote the script about the history of the canals).  Why should we pay a licence fee to be presented with a load of propaganda rubbish?
Edited by Murflynn
  • Greenie 4
  • Angry 1

8 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Because it is infinitely better than paying someone like Rupert Murdoch (through advertising) to feed us blatant lies? 

so you think it's appropriate that we should have to pay to watch CRT's propaganda that belittles the efforts and blood sweat and tears shed by so many forgotten amateur canal restorers?  

tonight's Countryfile has IMHO clearly established that the UK is now subjected to blatant fake news by the publicly-owned broadcasting company.    The Fox News of Britain.

• Greenie 1

Even the bit about HVO started by saying narrowboats using normal diesel emit particulates and NOx and then said HVO was much better because it is carbon neutral so less CO2 in the atmosphere no mention of whether its better for particulates and NOx

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

Wow!

I never realised how little I knew about the canals.

I never knew that the canals fell into disrepair after commercial use dried up, and only the intervention of CRT allowed the canals to be brought back from a state of dereliction, which has all been achieved since 2012. Apparently the efforts of the hundreds of thousands of enthusiasts who actually restored so many canals, such as the K&A, was just a bad dream.

I never knew that frogspawn appears in ponds "and the frogs are not far behind". The diver/reporter showed the frogs mating among clouds of frogspawn. I guess I need to revise my understanding of the birds, frogs and bees.

Like the disastrous BBC coverage of the Jubilee parade on the Thames, the final programme was clearly ruined by the clever just-out-of-nappies producers who edit and sequence the input to produce an entirely misleading scenario. WHAT A LOAD OF BOLLOX!!

High time the BBC was made to be competitive and to finance itself through sponsorship and advertising (but I'll bet that CRT wrote the script about the history of the canals).  Why should we pay a licence fee to be presented with a load of propaganda rubbish?

Did they not say if it wasn't for the IWA the canals would have been abandoned. 

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

They did indeed

That won't have done the IWA any favours among boaters! I thought the IWA were on site advising them too. But then again, perhaps the IWA consider that they did  save the canals ? 

haggis

1 minute ago, haggis said:

That won't have done the IWA any favours among boaters! I thought the IWA were on site advising them too. But then again, perhaps the IWA consider that they did  save the canals ? 

haggis

I long ago told the IWA where to shove their membership!! They have lost their way. 

23 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Did they not say if it wasn't for the IWA the canals would have been abandoned. 

Watching it now on iPlayer.

Some forum members appear to have hearing problems.

There was certainly no mention of CRT 'saving the canals'.

37 minutes ago, haggis said:

haggis

Nevertheless, if the IWA (and others) had not been campaigning in the 1950s and 60s to keep open the whole of the then navigable network, then it is very likely that most of the canals would have closed, picked off individually as the level of carrrying on each canal declined to uneconomic levels. 

British Waterways more or less gave up their carrying operations after the winter of 1963. If those early enthusiasts had not campaigned for a new role as leisure waterways, then instead of the 1968 Transport Act establishing the main routes as "Cruiseways", we would surely have had a canal equivalent of the Beeching Report which would have closed all but a handful of routes which still had some value for freight.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Murflynn said:

so you think it's appropriate that we should have to pay to watch CRT's propaganda that belittles the efforts and blood sweat and tears shed by so many forgotten amateur canal restorers?  

tonight's Countryfile has IMHO clearly established that the UK is now subjected to blatant fake news by the publicly-owned broadcasting company.    The Fox News of Britain.

There is no compulsion to watch anything. 

Not even endless kowtowing to so-called royalty. 

2 hours ago, jeanb said:

The only bit we liked in the whole programme was the little bit filmed at Napton Village Stores - and that was in a piece unrelated to canals.

I particularly liked his early series 2 landy parked outside. About the same age as mine complete with identical capstan winch, but I liked the light blue colour of his - mine is green.

A cruise to Napton is on the list as a result !

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Some forum members appear to have hearing problems.

There was certainly no mention of CRT 'saving the canals'.

I too just watched on catch-up, but perhaps it was a different version as I certainly did hear said as Murflynn reported that the canals fell into disrepair after commercial use dried up, and only the intervention of CRT allowed the canals to be brought back from a state of dereliction, all achieved since 2012.

I did keep watching, but unfortunately Countryfile seems to be rather a non-programme and I can't imagine who it is aimed at. I was absolutely aghast at the section following the canal snippet which was about milk cows which apparently never saw the outside world or grass at any point in their lives.

I didn't have great expectations, but I did expect something with rather more thought behind it.

Tam

17 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

I too just watched on catch-up, but perhaps it was a different version as I certainly did hear said as Murflynn reported that the canals fell into disrepair after commercial use dried up, and only the intervention of CRT allowed the canals to be brought back from a state of dereliction, all achieved since 2012.

I did keep watching, but unfortunately Countryfile seems to be rather a non-programme and I can't imagine who it is aimed at. I was absolutely aghast at the section following the canal snippet which was about milk cows which apparently never saw the outside world or grass at any point in their lives.

I didn't have great expectations, but I did expect something with rather more thought behind it.

Tam

There of course wont have been a different version ?????

But regardless the program was dissapointing in terms of content and including bits not relevant to canals at all when easily they could dedicate a whole program to them, that was mystifying.

Anyway back to you tube..

Edited by The Happy Nomad