Life in the 60s "Looking at Life"

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

Thanks - the skyline has really changed. I recognised just about everywhere there location wise. There was a related link to this site for a mudlark.

Edited by mark99

2 hours ago, Bee said:

Didn't realise the docks were still that busy then. A different age (and different backing music too)

2 hours ago, Bee said:

Didn't realise the docks were still that busy then. A different age (and different backing music too)

Yes, it's amazing how the London Docks have changed since the 60's and 70's. It is hard to believe that for many years the london docks complex were the largest in the world and now look what is left!

Further to Brian's post about the Look at Life showing London Docks, there is a whole series in the L@L series on YouTube devoted to ships and shipping  in the 60's and 70's. The series can be found on YouTube - search Look at Life Ships. I tried to post a link but it won't let me for some reason. It's well worth having a look; there are some real gems.

Howard

2 minutes ago, howardang said:

Further to Brian's post about the Look at Life showing London Docks, there is a whole series in the L@L series on YouTube devoted to ships and shipping  in the 60's and 70's. The series can be found on YouTube - search Look at Life Ships. I tried to post a link but it won't let me for some reason. It's well worth having a look; there are some real gems.

Howard

Someone recently posted one about canal carrying.

For younger readers, 'Look At Life' was a series of short films which were designed to be shown in cinemas before the main feature began. They were often accompanied by a newsreel (usually Pathé) too.

2 hours ago, Bee said:

The last of the London Docks closed in 1981 IIRC.

During the early 80's I had a couple of ex-stevedores working in my team as general labourers.

The stories they told made me realise why the London Docks closed and containerisation was preferred.

Things like dockers falling down stairs at home and breaking limbs, then rather than go to hospital, they would get their colleagues to pick them up the next morning, take them to work and arrange an "accident" so that they could claim compensation, deliberately damaging crates so they could pilfer the contents etc.

I've been really enjoying the Look at Life videos on YouTube. The good thing about YouTube is that once you have watched a few them more get 'recommended' to you.

I get a lot of RAF/military based ones which are quite interesting because unlike the shipping one, not much has changed! I watched one where they had filmed on an RAF base and it actually showed the accommodation where i lived in early 2000's, even with the same signs etc on the door.

I can highly recommend the one about the US 3rd Air Force.

• Greenie 2

18 minutes ago, junior said:

I've been really enjoying the Look at Life videos on YouTube. The good thing about YouTube is that once you have watched a few them more get 'recommended' to you.

I get a lot of RAF/military based ones which are quite interesting because unlike the shipping one, not much has changed! I watched one where they had filmed on an RAF base and it actually showed the accommodation where i lived in early 2000's, even with the same signs etc on the door.

I can highly recommend the one about the US 3rd Air Force.

I too have spent far too long looking at these on youtube, there were 500 made!.

A number were released on DVD from 2010 which I assume is where the youtube ones came from, details here:

Look at Life (film series) - Wikipedia 

3 hours ago, Bee said:

Post-war cargo tonnages through the Port peaked at 61.3 million tons in 1964 so it was still very very busy at the time of this documentary!

2 hours ago, howardang said:

Yes, it's amazing how the London Docks have changed since the 60's and 70's. It is hard to believe that for many years the london docks complex were the largest in the world and now look what is left!

Howard

Take care, you can soon lose a couple of hours