Weir

mark99

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, mark99 said:

Tell me the diff between lifting and buck weir please.

The radial and rhymer I think I know.

lifting weir uses vertical lift gates, Richmond Weir River Thames

1489105915_RichmondWeir.jpg.4e4d6dbdcc7ca2fe210bcd753b4f0331.jpg

Buck Weir uses radial gates. Hurley Weir, River Thames i

1877983087_HurleyWeir.jpg.397def1dd042acac8dee26c6f1fa6cc1.jpg

Edited by nbfiresprite

This confuses the issue

Pinkhill Lock

Pinkhill looks very different today compared with yesteryear. While the lock itself looks very similar to how it was first built in 1791, the surrounding area has changed radically - where there are hills there used to be flat fields. Where there was countryside there are now two large reservoirs.

So today, next to the lock, are the Farmoor Reservoirs, created from spoil which now makes up the hill alongside the lock.

But far from detracting from the quality of the countryside here, we have one of the most attractive and wildlife-friendly places along the River Thames.

A stone construction manual beam pound lock was first built here in 1791 and it went through minor rebulds at later dates. On the weir stream used to be a paddle and rymer weir but this was demolished in 1932 to make way for a Buck weir (using gates that rise vertically on upright runners both sides), which lasted until the new electrically-operated radial weir was installed in 1998.

And seperately Molsely Weir

Under a two-year scheme of works the existing 15 “buck gates” have been replaced with seven radial gates, and the canopy has also been replaced. The new weir includes an adjacent fish pass to replace the previous fish trap.

Edited by mark99

For paddle and rymer weirs, there were several reports done on those on the Thames circa 2011. https://library.thehumanjourney.net/654/ is one, and a search under Environment Agency paddle and rymer brings up others. There are many types of weir, with the French being particularly prolific in their design. My copy of the PIANC illustrated multi-lingual dictionary covers around 30 generic types, and there would be specific names given by the manufacturer of individual types, as each would have small variations in design.

• Greenie 1