lpws4 go into gear but no revs

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You are wasting your time with WD40. 

WD40 is a 'Water Dispersant' - Hence the WD - (blend no 40), It is not a pentrating oil and has very limited 'oiling' properties.

You need proper penetrating oil, save your WD40 for what is was designed for - getting water out of electrical junction boxes.

yeah I didn't know until my friend said about it.

26 minutes ago, Steve56 said:

Looking back at the photos as Tracy D'arth says the engine does look particularly rusty. I also see that it is a heat exchanger cooled engine. Is it used in salt water conditions by any chance.

yes its in Portsmouth harbour

2 minutes ago, pluto83 said:

yes its in Portsmouth harbour

That explains things a little more. I really think you'll be very lucky to get it moving successfully. It will probably need the parts replacing. 

1 hour ago, Steve56 said:

It is an unusual problem that I've never seen happen before. The only thing I can think of is that the o-ring, item 18 in the diagram has failed and allowed water to enter between the spindle and bush. Thats only a guess, but I can see no other reason.

when I got the boat it was filled with rain water, after it dried run fine. but during lockdown my float failed drained the batter and filled with rain water again, it was over the starter motor so that area would of been under water with a lose nut

1 minute ago, Steve56 said:

That explains things a little more. I really think you'll be very lucky to get it moving successfully. It will probably need the parts replacing. 

that gear end scares me, I really don't have the money for a mechanic 

1 minute ago, pluto83 said:

when I got the boat it was filled with rain water, after it dried run fine. but during lockdown my float failed drained the batter and filled with rain water again, it was over the starter motor so that area would of been under water with a lose nut

The loose bolt would make no difference to the water getting in. All that bolt does is hold the speed control lever in position. The spindle is held into the sleeve by the internal bolt.

Just now, Steve56 said:

The loose bolt would make no difference to the water getting in. All that bolt does is hold the speed control lever in position. The spindle is held into the sleeve by the internal bolt.

could I get that out vertically if I need to replace the parts

1 minute ago, pluto83 said:

could I get that out vertically if I need to replace the parts

As I have said previously, that's the way it comes out. But unfortunately you need to remove the timing end cover and remove the internal lever and springs, then it is clear to come out vertically from the top.

Just now, Steve56 said:

As I have said previously, that's the way it comes out. But unfortunately you need to remove the timing end cover and remove the internal lever and springs, then it is clear to come out vertically from the top.

thanks mate gives me something to look into how to fix it

7 minutes ago, Steve56 said:

may laugh but where abouts is the timing end cover?

Just now, pluto83 said:

may laugh but where abouts is the timing end cover?

Its the cover at the forward end of the engine. You will see the crankshaft pulley coming from the centre of it. This pulley will need to be removed first. It is held on with a left hand thread bolt.