lpws4 go into gear but no revs

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, pluto83 said:

its my first ever engine, total newbie 

The LPWS4 is not a simple diesel engine, it has many foibles which can easily be affected by inexperienced fiddling.

If you have the workshop manual then follow it religiously, if you dont have the manual, send me yur email address and I'll send you a Pdf copy.

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The LPWS4 is not a simple diesel engine, it has many foibles which can easily be affected by inexperienced fiddling.

If you have the workshop manual then follow it religiously, if you dont have the manual, send me yur email address and I'll send you a Pdf copy.

Ive got it thank you, does seem to be the issue, wasn't mating the spindle correctly. the relief I feel now knowing its a spindle. I can understand that. if tightening hasn't worked, removing it and mounting it again will

20 minutes ago, pluto83 said:

its my first ever engine, total newbie 

So just keep asking but if asked for more details or a photo please don't ignore it like many do. The asking is so we can be sure we are all  talking about the same thing as this topic has nicely illustrated

If you don't understand a reply just tell us and then we can try to explain things differently.

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

So just keep asking but if asked for more details or a photo please don't ignore it like many do. The asking is so we can be sure we are all  talking about the same thing as this topic has nicely illustrated

If you don't understand a reply just tell us and then we can try to explain things differently.

will do, and are even upload photos to this post. the lack of the lexicon doesn't help. week of hard works has really taken it out of me, so day off tomorrow but on Wednesday I will get back to you guys, been a great help. fingers crossed I can get to play on it for three weeks before the clubs lift out. then its hull painting and cabin time, things I know more about. 

On our first trip with our last boat (from brokers to mooring) we found that every time we went into gear we were getting less & less engine revs, after getting through braunston we pulled into the side and lifted the engine hatch because the full movement of the lever was barely getting us anything higher than tickover.

the cable was moving, the arm on the engine was moving but was floppy. tightening the nut holding the arm onto the shaft stopped it being floppy and restored engine control.

apologies for vague description but it was 6 years ago and it never needed touching again in 4 years of ownership (and as far as I know the new owner has had no problems). so it may be that it takes 25 years of normal use for the nut to work loose. 

12 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

On our first trip with our last boat (from brokers to mooring) we found that every time we went into gear we were getting less & less engine revs, after getting through braunston we pulled into the side and lifted the engine hatch because the full movement of the lever was barely getting us anything higher than tickover.

the cable was moving, the arm on the engine was moving but was floppy. tightening the nut holding the arm onto the shaft stopped it being floppy and restored engine control.

apologies for vague description but it was 6 years ago and it never needed touching again in 4 years of ownership (and as far as I know the new owner has had no problems). so it may be that it takes 25 years of normal use for the nut to work loose. 

That's a comparative rare event if you mean the lever on the injector pump was loose on the shaft into the pump and that seems the OP had exactly the same fault. It's far more common for the clamp that holds the outer cable to work loose at one end so the outer just moves up and down the inner but nothing much else happens. Most of those nuts I have seen seem to be self-locking nuts.

2 minutes ago, pluto83 said:

unfortunately tightening the bolt done nothing, so ive disconnected it and appears there should be a pin. mating the two marts together but I still cant find the part number in the master parts manual. 

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

You are quite right and that lever should have a locating pin fitted. I think it is a case of which parts manual you are using. The lever you have there is a later modification so if your manual is from an earlier date it won't be shown.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have two 'master parts manuals' :

One is "Issue 9 Jan 1999" and the other "Issue 11 May 2001"

What issue do you have ?

4 minutes ago, Steve56 said:

As a follow on if its any help, I have just checked through the technical bulletins and the pin part no is    027-10103

great help is that the only part im missing?

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

I have two 'master parts manuals' :

One is "Issue 9 Jan 1999" and the other "Issue 11 May 2001"

What issue do you have ?

I checked this in  my technical bulletins. They list all the mods for all the models. Its what Lister R&D department used to issue to us service engineers among others.

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Steve56 said:

You are quite right and that lever should have a locating pin fitted. I think it is a case of which parts manual you are using. The lever you have there is a later modification so if your manual is from an earlier date it won't be shown.

@Steve56 - would a roll pin ground down for length do the job?

3 minutes ago, Steve56 said:

I checked this in  my technical bulletins. They list all the mods for all the models. Its what Lister R&D department used to issue to us service engineers among others.

have you got any images to show how it should look please

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

Yes I would have thought that would be fine. The only problem I can see is that the holes in the lever appear worn. There should be 3 distinct holes, but I looks as though 2 of them have broken through.

3 minutes ago, pluto83 said:

have you got any images to show how it should look please

I will have a look. But probably be tomorrow now.

2 minutes ago, Steve56 said:

Yes I would have thought that would be fine. The only problem I can see is that the holes in the lever appear worn. There should be 3 distinct holes, but I looks as though 2 of them have broken through.

I will have a look. But probably be tomorrow now.

can I get another lever with three distinct holes, or could I just use the 1 hole

7 minutes ago, Steve56 said:

I don't know how it all fits together but could he drill right through the lever and fit a longer pin or pins,

18 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

How about the fat end off a twist drill of the right size? He could then get a good fit in the hole/s.

Would be easy to grind the end of a drill, its tool steel so won't wear out.

Here is the diagram of how it fits together. I would think that anything you could find that is a reasonable fit into the hole would work. Hopefully if you can stop any movement then the centre bolt will not work loose.

20210407_231520.jpg

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Looking at the diagram the washer under the bolt retains the pin in the hole. So it will be under the engine somewhere as it obviously fell out when the bolt came loose.

I will modify something, drill pieces or a bolt. Thanks for your help. so is it safe to say thats the cause of no revs?

On 04/04/2021 at 19:51, pluto83 said:

hello again just had my boat in the yard, and am stumped what the issue is, online searching are all for error codes for the similar problem.

issue is I have a lpws4 and it goes into gear but it won't rev Im only getting one knot out of my boat now. 

the throttle lever moves but no more than idle revs, any ideas please? 

Welcome to the forum.

I can't reay add anything to the advice already given but just to say I like you Avatar.

Do you know it is the Golden Dragon (Y Ddraig Aur in Welsh) Battle Flag of Owain Glyndwr?

1920px-Y_Draig_Aur_Owain_Glyndŵr.jpg

1 minute ago, churchward said:

Welcome to the forum.

I can't reay add anything to the advice already given but just to say I like you Avatar.

Do you know it is the Golden Dragon (Y Ddraig Aur in Welsh) Battle Flag of Owain Glyndwr?

1920px-Y_Draig_Aur_Owain_Glyndŵr.jpg

I thought it was the Wessex flag

1 minute ago, pluto83 said:

I thought it was the Wessex flag

A golden or red dragon was used also for Wessex true enough.  On the other hand when I see a Gold Dragon I think of Owain Glyndwr  but I am biased that way!