Ft It's a beautifull day

LadyG

Featured Posts

Sheesh, I'm all prepped to depart, as I have been for six months,

Cat is very sensible (as far as cats go),and loves sitting on the bow, is OK to leave doors open?

Does anyone allow cats 'open access'?

It must be the 'season' for cats, in winter he sleeps sixteen hours per day, but is restless today.

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Cat is very sensible and loves sitting on the bow, is OK to leave doors open?

"Ft"?

Feet (as in cats')?

For True?

Following Trent?

Breaking wind? (Oh no, ladies don't do that).

5 minutes ago, blackrose said:

You're asking us whether it's ok to leave your bow doors open for your cat? ?

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

"Ft"?

Feet (as in cats')?

For True?

Following Trent?

Breaking wind? (Oh no, ladies don't do that).

No  Athy, that was just some random lettering.

Cat is still 'on alert', he must be very 'switched on' to sunshine..

He is now having a roll on the carpet with his catnip toy.

Cats never fart.

Edited by LadyG

I want my cat to have best life possible, but am restricted by his 'pea brain'. Inadvertently, he has been able to access the bow when I am moving, and has been fine, but he once jumped on to the wrong boat when I moved from one side of a lock to the other.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Cats never fart.

You have never met Babbage....

57 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Oh, not when locking, no.

I avoid locking as much as posible, I was just thinking about pottering.. 

Agree it's risky, just wondered if anyone had a cat which coped.

Babbage has to come inside and cat flap locked when we cruise, as she will try to leave boat at every bridge and narrow section......then look at us as though it's our fault.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

In days gone by as soon as I started the JP my cat was in the bed under the duvet staying there until we stopped, emerging seconds after the JP was switched off. It was usually fine however he did get a bit confused when we were in Thames locks.

Edited by Loddon

one of the sharers on our boat temporarily lost one of their dogs when it decided to simply step off the back as they passed through a tight bridge hole on the Shroppie, luckily it was the offside and fenced in so it was still there when they retraced their steps.

i suspect a cat may be far stealthier at this as they don't constantly mither you for attention like a dog can sometimes, so may go un-noticed that it's taken shore leave

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

Cat is very sensible (as far as cats go),and loves sitting on the bow, is OK to leave doors open?

It must be the 'season' for cats, in winter he sleeps sixteen hours per day, but is restless today.

I saw a boat moving with a cat, complete with lifejacket, sitting on the bow a couple of days ago. However i think it is best to keep cats inside whilst on the move.

3 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

one of the sharers on our boat temporarily lost one of their dogs when it decided to simply step off the back as they passed through a tight bridge hole on the Shroppie, luckily it was the offside and fenced in so it was still there when they retraced their steps.

We were travelling from Trevor to Llangollen a few years ago, when my wife pointed to a dog on the towpath and said "doesn't it look like Buster" (my previous dog who appears in my avatar). 

On hearing the name, the dog looked at us and promptly rejoined the boat. Yes, he had taken himself for a walk whilst we were in the narrow section and travelling so slowly!

Edited by cuthound
Phat phingers
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

Quite a few years back, our dog hopped of the stern at the narrows by Rose Narrowboats on the Oxford and went exploring the workshops. It was only when one of the guys in the workshop called out that we realised we were dogless.

• Haha 1

One  cat used to have to be imprisoned when boating, would jump ship at the sight of me picking up the motorboats keys, from the hook in the butty cabin.

The other would sit on the listers air filter when the engine was running  and go hitch hiking from our mooring to common moor lock on passing boats then walk back..

Depends on the cat.

27 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Doesnt get much better, too cold for flies, 

But Bumbly the Giant Bee made his first appearance of the year in our garden yesterday. I hope he's the same one that spent much of last year trundling around the flowers and bushes. I also hope his fur will keep him warm enough during the next few days of colder weather.

31 minutes ago, Athy said:

But Bumbly the Giant Bee made his  her first appearance of the year in our garden yesterday. I hope she's the same one that spent much of last year trundling around the flowers and bushes. I also hope his her fur will keep him her warm enough during the next few days of colder weather.

A few small updates for you.

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

A few small updates for you.

"Updates"? When did the poor thing change sex?

I must admit that I thought that most garden bees were male, and that the females or "queens" stayed in their hives.

Just now, Athy said:

"Updates"? When did the poor thing change sex?

I must admit that I thought that most garden bees were male, and that the females or "queens" stayed in their hives.

Most bees you see honey or Bumble are female.   The Queen is the only fertile female and stays in the hive once there are enough female workers to do the work.  Honey bee queens only leave the hive to mate (once) and if the colony swarms  The few males that there are tend to just look after themselves and not contribute to the nest.   In bumbles the sex ratio is about 4:1 females to males.