Brentford to Thames Wharf

RosieMarshall

Featured Posts

Hi there, I am trying to get through the Thames Wharf from Brentford. Hoping tomorrow. Been unable to get through to the wharf on the telephone number and was unaware I needed to book a passage...i'm very new here and need to get my boat through!! We have heard that they are just doing passages on Tuesday at the moment..is this correct?? All friendly advice welcome please :)

If you're trying to get to Thames Wharf just downstream of Hammersmith Bridge then  you might have to go via Limehouse as most passages under Hammersmith Bridge are not possible.

As you're venturing onto the tidal Thames I would have assumed you knew about all the preparations you need to make such as anchor & warp, requirement for VHF radio (depending on boat length) and understanding the tides. However, as you weren't aware you needed to book your passage through the lock to get out there perhaps you don't, in which case it doesn't sound like you're prepared at all? 

Edited by blackrose

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

If you're trying to get to Thames Wharf just downstream of Hammersmith Bridge then  you might have to go via Limehouse as most passages under Hammersmith Bridge are not possible.

There is no passage for leisure boats.

2 minutes ago, RosieMarshall said:

we are coming from Brentford so don't believe that we go under the Hammersmith bridge

From what I can see on google maps, Thames Wharf is downstream of Hammersmith Bridge so coming from Brentford (which is upstream) you certainly would need to go under Hammersmith Bridge. Do you have a mooring at Thames Wharf?

Just now, RosieMarshall said:

I am moving my home because I've just bought it. So it is essential travel. We need to move the boat now so we have to get through. 

It may be essential, but have you made any preparations for venturing onto the tidal Thames?

1 minute ago, RosieMarshall said:

I am moving my home because I've just bought it. So it is essential travel. We need to move the boat now so we have to get through. 

Whether it is your home or not, if Hammersmith Bridge is closed to navigation then you will NOT pass under it!
And as has been asked, do you have all the other things required for a Thames passage?

@blackrosewe are going south towards Reading so we definitely dont :)

South towards Reading? I thought you said you were going onto the Thames at Brentford?

Anyway, if you're currently west of Hammersmith and you need to get east of Hammersmith Bridge then you definitely DO ?

Edited by blackrose

It would help if you knew what you were talking about and understood basic compass directions Rosie. We're just trying to help.

So are you currently going south on the Grand Union towards Brentford, and from there you want to go onto the Thames and turn to west towards Reading? 

That shouldn't be a problem but you do need to prepare your boat for the tidal Thames as I stated above (no VHF required for the passage between Brentford and Teddington). 

1 hour ago, RosieMarshall said:

Hi there, I am trying to get through the Thames Wharf from Brentford. Hoping tomorrow. Been unable to get through to the wharf on the telephone number and was unaware I needed to book a passage...i'm very new here and need to get my boat through!! We have heard that they are just doing passages on Tuesday at the moment..is this correct?? All friendly advice welcome please :)

Bookings for Thames lock need to be carried out on line giving 48 hours notice, details:   https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/17704-update-48-hours-notice-for-thames-lock-bookings-with-3pm-cut-off-on-a-friday

Teddington Lock is currently open for passage between 0900 and 1500 daily. Do you know that you need to leave Brentford Lock between 2 hours and no later than 1 hour before high water? So not only do you need to book Brentford Lock, you must book for a day when you can arrive at Teddington Lock between (to be safe) 0915 and 1430.  

I think i've rather made a fool of myself with this post. I very much appreciate all your advice, and apologise for wasting any time with my miscalculations. 

I will be doing extensive research tonight to aim to get through the thames lock and Teddington lock on Thursday..

• Greenie 2

I think i've rather made a fool of myself with this post. I very much appreciate all your advice, and apologise for wasting any time with my miscalculations. 

I will be doing extensive research tonight to aim to get through the thames lock and Teddington lock on Thursday..

No worries, I was a bit mystified when I ran the route with canalplan !

51 minutes ago, RosieMarshall said:

There's no such thing as a stupid question.

1 hour ago, RosieMarshall said:

Very glad you straightened it out first. It’s a straight forward trip, but you are suddenly on a tidal river from a benign canal. 
Several vital things.Anchor and chain

Good level of diesel in your tanks in case of slop.

good engine check before you go out. While you should be on a rising tide you may still need high engine power for manoeuvres.

Life jackets.

long warps for deep Thames locks.

Air horn, and knowledge of sound signals.

I may be preaching to people who know better than I but those are my river checklists.

9 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Very glad you straightened it out first. It’s a straight forward trip, but you are suddenly on a tidal river from a benign canal. 
Several vital things.Anchor and chain

Good level of diesel in your tanks in case of slop.

good engine check before you go out. While you should be on a rising tide you may still need high engine power for manoeuvres.

Life jackets.

long warps for deep Thames locks.

Air horn, and knowledge of sound signals.

I may be preaching to people who know better than I but those are my river checklists.

I'm not sure what to do with my only long warp, it's currently on the anchor, what length do I need for the Thames,

Anchor warp

Locking rope. 

As a single hander, I assume one rope to centre line in the lock? 

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I'm not sure what to do with my only long warp, it's currently on the anchor, what length do I need for the Thames,

Anchor warp

Locking rope. 

As a single hander, I assume one rope to centre line in the lock? 

Depending on the length of your boat, I would use ropes at both end. Tie one off and then adjust the other. If going down then you want 20-30 feet between T-stud and bollard for the fixed line. 

I have a 15m chain and 35m warp on my anchor, which is fine for the tidal Thames but probably a bit excessive for the non-tidal.  10m chain plus 25m warp should be fine....