Water tank breather tube

Featured Posts

Afternoon all

I have a breather tube from the water tank sticking up about 2 inches from the front deck.

It has been suggested that I cover it to stop foreign bodies dropping in - nice.

My first thought was something like a bit of nylon mesh (tights?) and an elastic band, but that seems a bit crude.

is there something you would recommend please?

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Very creative Tracy!

Jen - Pretty sure the tube is steel, not sure of the OD, didn't think to check, thought they might be standard size. It's certainly less than an inch.

I will check and get back when I go to the boat after the weekend.

That's a good idea David, I'll look into that.

I have seen these

image.png.aeab5cd60c2bb8f15aabd45e72700e52.png

image.png.0444efa7210fcc9c404b505693fe283c.png

which I assume I can fix onto or into the pipe, itdepends on the internal and outside diameters, which Jen asked me about.

Both of these are 3/4 " so when I get back to the boat I can measure the pipe. These would seem to be suitable?

My vent is a 1/2"hull fitting in a vertical side of a locker. I got a very cheap metal pot sourer from the Pound shop and stuffed it into the fitting. Don't know how effective it is in keeping creepy crawlies out but it made me feel better.

2 hours ago, Rick Savery said:

That's a good idea David, I'll look into that.

I have seen these

image.png.aeab5cd60c2bb8f15aabd45e72700e52.png

image.png.0444efa7210fcc9c404b505693fe283c.png

which I assume I can fix onto or into the pipe, itdepends on the internal and outside diameters, which Jen asked me about.

Both of these are 3/4 " so when I get back to the boat I can measure the pipe. These would seem to be suitable?

This is designed to be fitted in a flat tank lid, not on a pipe.

You will be better off with part of this kit    https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-by-law-30-kit-1-/252HV?tc=CA8&ds_kid=92700055281954514&ds_rl=1249404&gclid=CjwKCAjwpKCDBhBPEiwAFgBzj7RN_gTn2mie9kokQprRt49MpDLn2k6P1QiZCFlV2OH5m_v4_xiL6xoCMicQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Which will fit on a 3/4" OD pipe.

Thanks Tracy, but I'm not sure the pipe sticks out far enough from the deck floor to make the U-bend pipe workable (not 100% about this as I will need to measure to be sure) and the breather in the kit is the second picture in my post above. The third part of the kit looks open rather than having a mesh of some sort in it. Maybe it has, do you know? 

1 minute ago, Rick Savery said:

Thanks Tracy, but I'm not sure the pipe sticks out far enough from the deck floor to make the U-bend pipe workable (not 100% about this as I will need to measure to be sure) and the breather in the kit is the second picture in my post above. The third part of the kit looks open rather than having a mesh of some sort in it. Maybe it has, do you know? 

Yes, under the cap is an insect mesh.

Thanks MartynG, that's very helpful. Not 100% sure how to fix it to the pipe yet, but hopefully will know more when I measure it on Weds. I did think of some sort of compression fitting, but again this would depend on size and whether it is compatible with the vent you have linked to

On 03/04/2021 at 23:40, Rick Savery said:

That's great, thanks for that. Just so I am clear, we are talking about this part of the kit ?

image.png.3994226cf71b0b18b6b1adb93cc94d59.png

No ,   the bottle shaped with the elbow. The end is a 22mm/3/4" compression fitting. it may fit straight on your pipe.  The insect screen is inside.

23 minutes ago, Rick Savery said:

Thanks Tracy, I'm still being a bit dense, but won't the elbow part still allow access to the tank to insects as it is only the top that is screened?

No. you will see when you get one.

Sorry to bump this back up again, but went to the boat yesterday to measure the pipe.

What i thought was a metal tube is, on closer inspection, a piece of yellow rubber(?) 3/4" gas pipe painted grey with deck paint and you can see where filler has been used around it to secure it to the deck. Seems like a right bodge but probably a massive pain to change. I assume that the precviously suggested solutions to cap it off would still work with a rubber hose?

I hear you Tracy. I assumed rubber, but plastic more likely - OD about 3/4" and walls of pipe about 3-4 mm thick and slightly flexible. What would be the best course of action? There is no access to the tank apart from the filler hole, so getting hands in there to do up a nut etc is not going to be possible - at least not with hands the size of mine ?

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Its your boat, you decide whether to continue bodging or get someone else to fit a proper breather and have the job done properly.

Could you not just block it permanently? My water-tank has no overflow and I haven't really missed it.

Thanks Tracy. I'm certainly not advocating continuing the bodge, just pointing out that the situation as it is seems like a bodge and so asking advice about whether the previous suggestions would still hold or whether some new course of action would be advised. So I can only assume that you are saying to continue with the suggestion of putting one of those fittings onto the plastic pipe would be a further bodge? What exactly would 'having the job done properly entail' ?

frahkn - I'n not sure that it's an overflow or not, it extends vertically from the deck about 2 inches,