Hammersmith Bridge

umpire111

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...

Latest notice from  PLA. On a quick skim, no change to the overall policy and rules, just a neater way of communicating with boats.

This smart signal thing is the same as that controlling Arch 4 at Vauxhall, which works pretty well in my experience. I do have slight red/green colour blindness ...

https://server1.pla.co.uk/assets/u3of2021-barnelmsreach-hammersmithbridge-closedtonavigationexclusionzonecontrolledtransits.pdf

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

51 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Probably quicker than sorting out who should pay for the repairs. Time for a cosy sponsorship deal?

Dunno! Look what happened in the case of the last two new bridges proposed across the Thames in London - the Garden Bridge and the Canary Wharf to Rotherhithe Bridge. Both abandoned after substantial money had been spent on developing the project.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 19/05/2021 at 13:45, Machpoint005 said:

Probably quicker than sorting out who should pay for the repairs. Time for a cosy sponsorship deal?

I can just imagine it emblazoned with banners proclaiming it to be the "Tesco Hammersmith Bridge". Perhaps they could build a supermarket on the bridge itself; there were precedents on the capital's bridges a few centuries ago.

Why not, why not, why not - just pull the blurry thing down and sell it to the Americans (or ano) and put a proper bridge in its place.

It's a miracle of Victorian engineering but totaly useless for today's traffic demands.

I remember wobling over it in my motor bike before most of you were born and thinking the equivalent of w.t.f (language was more restained then).

Conversely just put a blurry great prop midstream to hold up the roadway.

Send the Blues race up to Henley-Ya. The river dosent get that much other traffic anyway...

hic..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

We (two narrowboats) plan to do Teddington to Limehouse in June and then return upriver and back again a few weeks later. 

I presume passage under Hammersmith Bridge is still allowed?

Is there still the booking system in place as per the links in this thread?

What is their interpretation of essential? In other words might they insist we go via Brentford and the GU/Regents etc instead?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Grassman said:

We (two narrowboats) plan to do Teddington to Limehouse in June and then return upriver and back again a few weeks later. 

I presume passage under Hammersmith Bridge is still allowed?

Is there still the booking system in place as per the links in this thread?

What is their interpretation of essential? In other words might they insist we go via Brentford and the GU/Regents etc instead?

This NTM is now current.  The bridge is basically open as normal, until and unless it is closed! 

http://www.pla.co.uk/assets/u4of2021-barnelmsreachupper-hammersmithbridge.pdf 

Please note that at the moment downstream passage to Limehouse is very difficult, due to a limited operating window at Limehouse (roughly HW-2 to HW+2). The situation may improve between now and June.  

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/21465-limehouse-lock-limehouse-london

• Greenie 1