Which Portable washing machine?

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Hello peeps. I am moving off the boat and will be spending quite some time in my caravan for the next few months. The boat was very well equipped with proper 7kg washing machine etc etc as needed. My question is as I am going to be a caravan pikey for a while can anyone suggest what small portable type washing machine is best? I have perused ebay and there are several different types with spinning capability etc so which do you chaps suggest does the job? Electricity is not a problem so mains or 12 volt either will do?

Taa

I've gone through several of the type @Feeby100 links to. They work well. The weak point seem to be the actuator for the microswitch that disables the spin motor and activates the spin drum brake when the lid is lifted. The plastic around the actuator flexes and eventually breaks, preventing the microswitch from closing and activating the spin motor. In six months of planned use, you are unlikely to see a problem with this. On my current washer, I've bypassed both the microswitch and spin brake, as they are broken and just have to remember not to get my fingers torn off by sticking them in the spin drum before it has stopped.

Jen

The chinese plastic twin tubs work well.  Their capacity is not huge so you will be washing more often than with a domestic front loader. The spin capacity is less than the wash capacity. Big Stuff needs a laundry/launderette.

Not all have a wash tub emptying pump.  This can be a problem if you are not going to use it where thre is a suitable low level drain.

N