Drop back portholes

Featured Posts

Whilst my boat is being painted I have taken the opportunity to clean and incralac all the brass work. My portholes are the type with a single piece of glass that drops back and can be lifted out. I have removed the drop back (four screws) to clean thoroughly. There was a white flexible compound between the two parts which I don't recognise, it only acted as a seal and didn't stick the two parts together. It appeared to have come out of a tube when applied.

Has anyone any experience of the best thing to use? Also is it best to incralac the two parts then assemble or incralac after putting together? 

5 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

No idea what the white flexible compound is, but I'd incralac the parts, then assemble them. Coating afterwards would leave areas with no lacquer hidden in the joints, from which tarnish can start, or moisture get underneath the lacquer.

Thanks Jen, that is what I was thinking. I will probably put another coat on after assembling as I will do the screwheads as well

5 hours ago, chevron said:

I used clear silicone sealer as where the window glass sits acts as a gutter for rain water. there’s a small hole which directs any rain water out of the boat.

how long does silicone last in this use?

34 minutes ago, WhiteSuit said:

Thanks Jen, that is what I was thinking. I will probably put another coat on after assembling as I will do the screwheads as well

how long does silicone last in this use?

I did them five years ago and have had no leaks 

If you want something clear that is tougher than silicone and goes off like rubber try this.

https://www.toolstation.com/stixall-adhesive-sealant/p77137?store=GL&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=CjwKCAjwpKCDBhBPEiwAFgBzj1GOqbvEHshmKY6JSVcOFU1SJR8IWckfcJRO8p-qpnLvqI1-6YbT9BoCTQEQAvD_BwE

Have some white spirit handy for any cleanups.

Edited by blackrose