Goole Ocean Lock

Team DK

Featured Posts

I am new to the forum, Hi to all.

Apologies, if, after a search on the forum of I have missed a discussion on this.

After speaking with CRT I am up to date with current estimated timescales for when the section of Aire & Calder directly affected by the breach will reopen. Given this is a number of months I started enquiries with regards to passage through Ocean lock.

ABP (Associated British Ports) have informed me that there will be no passage for Liesure craft for the foreseeable future. Upon further action and communication from CRT, passage for Liesure craft will be reviewed. Water conservation being ABPs reason to not allow passage for Liesure craft. I was directed to speak to CRT for further info. As ABP are awaiting communication from CRT with regards to supplying adequate volumes (not to be confused with water level) to the dock.

Following a further conversation with CRT I was informed by them that there is currently no intention to complete further works to increase the amount of water being pumped around the cofferdam at the breach site during the works to repair the breach. CRT have said they are meeting 'the agreed' volume of water being supplied around the cofferdam and that current water levels at the dock are being managed by ABP. 

CRT have directed me back to Ocean Lock as they have said its up to ABP when to allow passage to Liesure craft, and as far as they are concerned they have done everything on their part to allow Ocean Lock to opperate. When I speak to ABP, they are then directing me back to CRT. CRT are then directing me back to ABP.... I'm sure you get the picture.

Has anyone got any further than this please, I seem to be getting nowhere!

• Unimpressed 1

The sticking point seems to be 'adequate volumes'.  Ask of both what is being supplied, and what the supply requirements are.  If there is no difference or CRT's suupliee volume is greater, then your answer is that ABP don't want to deal with you, if CRT's volume is smaller, then ask why the larger volume is not being supplied. 

Personally, I reckon they'll both refuse to answer the pointed question on the grounds of 'commercial confidentiality' or at a pinch 'national security'.  Which means that neither of them actually want you as a customer.

I was wondering if ABP would consider letting us share a lock with a small ship. Not every ship through Ocean Lock is full size. In fact if we shared with a ship then our displacement in the lock before the gates shut would save water! I think that the down side of that is that we would be leaving when the ship wanted to leave, probably within an hour or two of high water which wouldn't be good for heading to Selby in a narrow boat. I do intend to investigate a passage down to Trent Falls then heading up the Trent but people tell me that is scary!

We aren't in a position to leave Goole until the beginning of May so as yet I haven't approached ABP or started pushing CRT. We're not on the boat at the moment so we are not tuned in to the local gossip. Perhaps if there were enough leisure boats involved we could negotiate one lock passage for lots of boats.

Following with interest.

Oh, and @Team DK welcome to the forum.

Edited by Alway Swilby
  • Greenie 1

Thanks for the replies above. I think getting a group together would be a good idea. I doubt ABP would allow leisure craft to pen through with commercial traffic however coordinating things to get as many boats as possible in a single lock seems sensible and approaching ABP with this proposal... I'm happy to start kicking things off with this if it has not already been considered. 

I hope it all works out for those of you at Goole but suspect ABP won't go out of their way to help. Sharing with a small ship is probably your best bet. Going via Trent Falls it is a bit of a white knuckle ride when it's windy. I've only done it in the opposite direction but there should be plenty of boaters on here who can give advice based on first hand experience. I believe the idea is to go down on the tide and beach on the sands opposite the junction light on the Lincolnshire side. Then wait for the incoming tide. If CaRT don't offer passage through Pollington to Sykehouse I will be coming that way myself from Selby.
Best of luck - let us know on here if you get out.

Edited by Midnight

5 hours ago, Midnight said:

I hope it all works out for those of you at Goole but suspect ABP won't go out of their way to help. Sharing with a small ship is probably your best bet. Going via Trent Falls it is a bit of a white knuckle ride when it's windy. I've only done it in the opposite direction but there should be plenty of boaters on here who can give advice based on first hand experience. I believe the idea is to go down on the tide and beach on the sands opposite the junction light on the Lincolnshire side. Then wait for the incoming tide. If CaRT don't offer passage through Pollington to Sykehouse I will be coming that way myself from Selby.
Best of luck - 

I have created the following Facebook group...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2797472143803504/?ref=share

8 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

I was wondering if ABP would consider letting us share a lock with a small ship. 

On the basis of limited experience at Goole I would say ships always get priority and a leisure boat is highly unlikely to be allowed in the lock with a ship  even if  the leisure boat is towed in by a unicorn and a mermaid.

Edited by MartynG

7 minutes ago, MartynG said:

On the basis of limited experience at Goole I would say ships always get priority and a leisure boat is highly unlikely to be allowed in the lock with a ship  even if  the leisure boat is towed in by a unicorn and a mermaid.

Things are obviously different because o& the breach but in the pst I jave certainly shared the/lock with ships on more than one occasion.

Howard

25 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I don't disagree with you but what would be ABP's reasoning? Of course a ship would have priority but why not let a leisure craft in behind the ship? On exit the ship goes first followed by us. 

38 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

I don't disagree with you but what would be ABP's reasoning? Of course a ship would have priority but why not let a leisure craft in behind the ship? On exit the ship goes first followed by us. 

(i) I have been refused a request to go in with a ship

(ii)A ship would easily crush a leisure boat even the leisure boat is  steel construction  

(iii)prop wash from   a ship  could damage  a leisure oat 

In any case it seems from the post above  I must stand corrected .

There was nothing for a leisure boat to tie up to last time I was in Ocean lock but perhaps that has changed .

Edited by MartynG

27 minutes ago, MartynG said:

(i) I have been refused a request to go in with a ship

(ii)A ship would easily crush a leisure boat even the leisure boat is  steel construction  

(iii)prop wash from   a ship  could damage  a leisure oat 

In any case it seems from the post above  I must stand corrected .

There was nothing for a leisure boat to tie up to last time I was in Ocean lock but perhaps that has changed .

We like sharing locks with ships ?

KGV Lock Royal Docks.JPG

• Greenie 2

On 02/04/2021 at 11:16, Alway Swilby said:

I was wondering if ABP would consider letting us share a lock with a small ship. Not every ship through Ocean Lock is full size. In fact if we shared with a ship then our displacement in the lock before the gates shut would save water! I think that the down side of that is that we would be leaving when the ship wanted to leave, probably within an hour or two of high water which wouldn't be good for heading to Selby in a narrow boat. I do intend to investigate a passage down to Trent Falls then heading up the Trent but people tell me that is scary!

We aren't in a position to leave Goole until the beginning of May so as yet I haven't approached ABP or started pushing CRT. We're not on the boat at the moment so we are not tuned in to the local gossip. Perhaps if there were enough leisure boats involved we could negotiate one lock passage for lots of boats.

Following with interest.

Oh, and @Team DK welcome to the forum.

An hour or two within high water would get you to Barmby barrage. You could moor on the pontoon just inside on the Derwent and continue from there. 

• Greenie 1

On 02/04/2021 at 17:39, Team DK said:

I have created the following Facebook group...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2797472143803504/?ref=share

Have a look in Nicholson Book 6. It's all set out there by someone who has done it more than once and is backed up by advice from a barge skipper who has employed the three options numerous times over his 60 years as a captain. Beaching on Tackhammer Flats is one option and I admit to passing a very comfortable night there many years ago!

On 02/04/2021 at 10:13, DaveP said:

The sticking point seems to be 'adequate volumes'.  Ask of both what is being supplied, and what the supply requirements are.  If there is no difference or CRT's suupliee volume is greater, then your answer is that ABP don't want to deal with you, if CRT's volume is smaller, then ask why the larger volume is not being supplied. 

Personally, I reckon they'll both refuse to answer the pointed question on the grounds of 'commercial confidentiality' or at a pinch 'national security'.  Which means that neither of them actually want you as a customer.

My understanding is that the Trust inherited BW's obligation to maintain the water level from Pollington/Sykehouse  to Goole at a certain level with some minimal tolerance.  In return for this ABP are obliged to permit free passage for leisure and what they term 'river craft' (i.e. commercial barges etc) to/from the Ouse at 'tide times'.  There is no volume of water specified in the agreement.  With the pumps in place at the breach the Trust has struggled at times to maintain the level hence ABP's nervousness.  Once it settles down hopefully ABP will once again accommodate leisure craft (commercial river craft can pass now by arrangement) as required

regards David L

On 02/04/2021 at 11:59, Midnight said:

Best of luck - let us know on here if you get out.

There is an Anchorage at Trent falls we have stayed there twice very pleasant in the sun

15 hours ago, peterboat said:

There is an Anchorage at Trent falls we have stayed there twice very pleasant in the sun

Is that at Blacktoft or can you turn onto the Trent and anchor near the training wall?

30 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Is that at Blacktoft or can you turn onto the Trent and anchor near the training wall?

As you turn right onto the trent the Anchorage is on the right by the training wall, it's on charts and is deep enough at low tide to float an old converted petrol tanker Sabina H. As I said very pleasant in the sun, as the tide comes in it turns you to face the ouse so you drive forward lift anchor keep on going until past the swallows which are now on your right, turn right up the trent. Sounds complicated but it isn't 

Edited by peterboat
  • Greenie 1

Some good news from ABP via CRT this morning:

Notice Alert

Aire & Calder Navigation Main Line
Starts At: Goole Visitor Moorings
Ends At: Goole Visitor Moorings

Friday 5 March 2021 16:15 until further notice

Type: Navigation Restriction
Reason: Water resources

Update on 16/04/2021:

We have been advised by Associated British Ports they are to open up limited penning for leisure craft from Monday 19th April. 

Bookings will be controlled by the Duty Assistant Dock Master at Ocean lock on Tele: 01405 721128 on a first come / served basis and with a 24 hr confirmation call required.

ABP will offer a penn out at 1hr before HW and a penn in at 1hr after HW on daylight tides only and this will be managed around commercial traffic.

PLEASE NOTE: penning outside of these offered times is not available and that at no times should vessels anchor in the Goole reaches nor any part of the Ouse from the area of Skelton Railway Bridge to the Apex.

• Greenie 1