Licence needed

Feeby100

Featured Posts

hello

i’m going to mourn my 55 foot narrowboat on the river great Ouse

now what License do I require.

Does anyone know ?

Unfamiliar with this as I’m not going to be cruising I’m going to be doing some maintenance on it parked up in the marina so I won’t be going on the canals

1 minute ago, Feeby100 said:

hello

i’m going to mourn my 55 foot narrowboat on the river great Ouse

now what License do I require.

Does anyone know ?

Unfamiliar with this as I’m not going to be cruising I’m going to be doing some maintenance on it parked up in the marina so I won’t be going on the canals

You be on EA waters therefore need a EA licence.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/anglian-waterways-boat-registration-and-application-forms#boat-registration-(licence)-forms

There have been some changes to boat licences in the Fens this year. In this website I have attempted to put all the information and links in one place. If you are just going to use EA waters then the advice above is good!  (PS please join GOBA if you have not already done so).

https://goba.org.uk/a-guide-for-visitors-to-the-east/

17 hours ago, Quattrodave said:

EA licence required for the great ouse, best of luck to you, I just spent 7 weeks trying to get mine registered for 21/22 with EA, nightmare to deal with!

I registered our new widebeam with EA several months ago before it became obvious how long Covid would drag on, so we could have a number to have written on the side. Going to be another month at least until we actually licence it. 

It did take quite a time to get the number but for us it wasn't a problem.

First G number the signwriter had done.

IMG_20210309_124149175~2.jpg

Edited by pearley
  • Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, Feeby100 said:

Just found out need one cost £ 1.091.62 for year .

even if just in marina not on cut as I am in there water that say. 

The legal situation is different on EA rivers than on CRT waterways, so worth checking if you really don't plan to move the boat.  (The marina may well require BSS and insurance anyway, of course)

11 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

The legal situation is different on EA rivers than on CRT waterways, so worth checking if you really don't plan to move the boat.  (The marina may well require BSS and insurance anyway, of course)

Do you need licence at Westview, being on tidal waters?

5 minutes ago, Feeby100 said:

Well west view is very close to where I am so I guess unless they own the marina private 

It will be private but does EA jurisdiction apply to this stretch of tidal waters.

1 hour ago, Feeby100 said:

Just found out need one cost £ 1.091.62 for year .

even if just in marina not on cut as I am in there water that say. 

On the Middle Level, if staying within the marina for the whole year. It is £118 per year, only requirment is that the mooring has a council tax band. Plus BSS and insurance. Downside is that Fenland Council will try and charge you the second home rate.

2 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

On the Middle Level, if staying within the marina for the whole year. It is £118 per year, only requirment is that the mooring has a council tax band. Plus BSS and insurance. Downside is that Fenland Council will try and charge you the second home rate.

Even 'Band A' council tax is £1400 so more expensive than the licence, (and you cannot use the boat outside of the marina)

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Even 'Band A' council tax is £1400 so more expensive than the licence, (and you cannot use the boat outside of the marina)

Fenland sent me a bill for £2700 Second home rate, hence me looking for new moorings.

• Horror 2