Speeding boats

Maffi

Featured Posts

Yesterday several boats came past speeding like the was no tomorrow.

Well there must have been because here we are!

I must have moved a few inches. 

I did the only thing a decent boater could do.

I got off my boat and retied my frontline.

Job done!

EDIT: This is a JOKE!

Edited by Lord Maffi of Oxford
To help the terminally stupid.
  • Greenie 2

Cauldron calling kettle black come to mind.

A decent boater would not have bothered to comment as he would have been tied up properly with springs set already.

Now you know what all the other boaters in your wake experience.

Remember, you started it.

• Greenie 1

Ropes need to be slack to take into account the next breach in the canal.  The only one that should ALWAYS be at twanging pitch is the centre one, which should be firmly fixed to a ring or a six foot mooring pin.  Of course, if on a river, the opposite applies, front and back ropes short and tight, centre rope trailing in the water on the offside to catch unwary cruisers.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Cauldron calling kettle black come to mind.

A decent boater would not have bothered to comment as he would have been tied up properly with springs set already.

Now you know what all the other boaters in your wake experience.

Remember, you started it.

Irony lost on you then?

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No, but you are not ironic, just arrogant, loud, self promoting, ignorant, rude, pompous, argumentative. Oh, and wrong.

Truth not to your liking? Tough, that's ironic!

You totally missed the point.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Lord Maffi of Oxford said:

Do people really moor with their centerline?

We generally don't. But we moored for three or four years at Clattercote Wharf, and Gregg Klaes insisted that all the boats on his moorings should be tied with bow, middle and stern ropes.

Just now, Athy said:

We generally don't. But we moored for three or four years at Clattercote Wharf, and Gregg Klaes insisted that all the boats on his moorings should be tied with bow, middle and stern ropes.

Maybe but Greg isn't the sharpest tool in the box is he! CRT, RYA, & BMF all advise against it.

3 minutes ago, Lord Maffi of Oxford said:

Maybe but Greg isn't the sharpest tool in the box is he! CRT, RYA, & BMF all advise against it.

Maybe, bit it wasn't them that I was paying my rent to. He can be an irascible man so I found it politic to keep him happy.

deleted wrong place

20 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Many, many do.  I always enjoy cruising at a sensible speed past Golden Nook moorings listening to the crash of breaking crockery.

You are a bad man.???

24 minutes ago, Lord Maffi of Oxford said:

Yes all the time. There's nothing wrong with mooring with a very loose centreline. I've been doing it for many years.

You might wonder what the point is if it's so loose it's not doing anything. It's basically an insurance policy. Should a bow or stern line come loose for some reason then the centre line will prevent the boat from going across the canal or river and blocking navigation. It's never happened to me because my bow and stern mooring lines are generally secure, but I've been blocked by boats that have come adrift several times and had to stop and tie them up. 

I'm not recommending owners of narrowboats use their centre lines to moor on fast flowing rivers, but my boat is much wider than it is tall (including draft) so it's not going to capsize even if it's held on the centre line against a strong current.

Edited by blackrose

38 minutes ago, Lord Maffi of Oxford said:

Yesterday several boats came past speeding like the was no tomorrow.

Well there must have been because here we are!

I must have moved a few inches. 

I did the only thing a decent boater could do.

I got off my boat and retied my frontline.

Job done!

EDIT: This is a JOKE!

You're supposed to stick your head out and scream blue murder at them for having the nerve to make your boat gently rock a little.

Keith

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

Yes all the time. There's nothing wrong with mooring with a very loose centreline. I've been doing it for many years.

You might wonder what the point is if it's so loose it's not doing anything. It's basically an insurance policy. Should a bow or stern line come loose for some reason then the centre line will prevent the boat from going across the canal or river and blocking navigation. It's never happened to me because my bow and stern mooring lines are generally secure, but I've been blocked by boats that have come adrift several times and had to stop and tie them up. 

I'm not recommending owners of narrowboats use their centre lines to moor on fast flowing rivers, but my boat is much wider than it is tall (including draft) so it's not going to capsize even if it's held on the centre line.

What's a centre line?

Keith

2 minutes ago, Steilsteven said:

You're supposed to stick your head out and scream blue murder at them for having the nerve to make your boat gently rock a little.

Keith

Yeah but what's the point? I dont need that stress in my life. Much easier to check my lines.

23 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No, but you are not ironic, just arrogant, loud, self promoting, ignorant, rude, pompous, argumentative. Oh, and wrong.

Truth not to your liking? Tough, that's ironic!

Steady on, we're not on Farcebook you know!

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Lord Maffi of Oxford said:

I really don't know how you can suggest someone who rides around on a Hardly Davidson with tassels on the saddle bags isn't the sharpest tool in the box.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Lord Maffi of Oxford said:

No, but I might use my centreline....

Bad Maffi, you need a new spoolchuck to go with the new title....

2 hours ago, Lord Maffi of Oxford said:

People do boaters dont?

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Are the chap that pulled away just after I had passed his butty

1 hour ago, DaveP said:

No, but I might use my centreline....

Bad Maffi, you need a new spoolchuck to go with the new title....

No I think my spoolchuck is fine.  Centerline - definition of centerline by The Free Dictionary

Some people do make distinctions between the words. For instance, some prefer to treat center as the word for a place or institution and centre as the word for the middle point of something. But while these preferences may be taught in some schools and are perhaps common among careful English speakers in Canada, the U.K., and elsewhere, they are not broadly borne out in 21st-century usage.

57 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

People do boaters dont?

Are the chap that pulled away just after I had passed his butty

You actually saw one of his boats move!

3 hours ago, Athy said:

This is true. He probably got fed up with having to retie boats. It was good to see him remind speeding boats to slow a little. Not at all polite.

• Happy 1