CHORLEYWOOD CANAL (or RIVER CHESS UPPER NAVIGATION)

GUMPY

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, mark99 said:

World wars have been started for less.

Very clever marketing. I have a couple books called Metroland.

Me too, written by Ron Pigram and Dennis Edwards, and lavishly illustrated from their photo collections.  There were three in the series, the first being 'The Romance Of Metroland'. The application of the word "romance" to places such as Harrow and Hillingdon shows how much things have changed over the last century. I would have liked to travel on the Brill branch though: I have been to Brill and it quite lives up to its name.

But I doubt whether Derek is a senior enough citizen to remember the "Live In Metroland" adverts: the Metropolitan Railway ceased to exist about 1933,so I assume that their marketing campaign (which had been highly successful) ended then.

Edited by Athy

7 hours ago, Athy said:

(snipped)

But I doubt whether Derek is a senior enough citizen to remember the "Live In Metroland" adverts: the Metropolitan Railway ceased to exist about 1933,so I assume that their marketing campaign (which had been highly successful) ended then.

I'll accept that, but the carriages lasted well into the period when I was train spotting and travelling in them.

Chorleywood. Something else the old memory cells are jogged by!

https://www.breadbeginners.co.uk/blog/chorleywood-bread-process/

Edited by Derek R.
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

I'll accept that, but the carriages lasted well into the period when I was train spotting and travelling in them.

My train-spotting days were mostly spent further North, but I do remember photos and/or paintings mounted on the bulkheads of compartments. Some, perhaps, had been there for many years, so it'sfreasonable to think that some Met. ones had also survived.

I used to travel the Met line daily from Pinner but going away from "Metroland" when I was an Erk/apprentice.

16 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Chorleywood. Something else the old memory cells are jogged by!

https://www.breadbeginners.co.uk/blog/chorleywood-bread-process/

Chalfont St Giles was immortalised by Viz as in "oh my Chalfonts".

Edited by mark99

16 hours ago, mark99 said:

I used to travel the Met line daily from Pinner but going away from "Metroland" when I was an Erk/apprentice.

I've got 'piles' of the magazines as well...........................the line to Brill was just a tramway, and there were proposals to extend the line from Chesham through to Tring, some land was purchased and you can pick up the line going up the Vale out of Chesham.

A new blog I have picked up on Utube is by a couple - the Whitewicks who explore old rail line, tunnels and stations, it's good and the are extending it to canals.

16 hours ago, mark99 said:

Similarly, Neasden was immortalised by Private Eye who portrayed it as the epitome of the grotty London suburb.

Hoe different from the days, when the Met had just been opened, when Neasden was such a small and insignificant country village that the company named its station 'Kingsbury & Neasden' because people had heard of Kingsbury.

Edited by Athy

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

In Neasden Ron Knee seems to be always 59

In connection with the origin of this post, I wonder if "Loddon" has noticed the suggestion of a navigation of the River Loddon at Swallowfield Place ?

I know nothing about that..

In did once get up the Loddon in my inflatable as far as the entrance to St Patrick's stream. 

Should really have done it the other way round and had the current in my favour?

• Greenie 1

23 hours ago, mark99 said:

DfUL-_EWsAAgKdK.jpg

A fascinating bit of film - and they cross the Chorley Wood Canal! It looks as if they pass a Great Central atlantic too. As the film is silent, I wonder how that sprockety background noise got there. Regarding the map, I once sought out Verney junction. There wasn't really much to see when I got there.

Inspired by this thread, I'm curently re-reading the entire Metro-Land trilogy of books.

27 minutes ago, mark99 said:

The full link I posted Athy has Betjeman visiting Verney. 1972.

Yes thanks, I have seen it before but spent a very pleasant 45 minutes reacquainting myself with it.

16 hours ago, Heartland said:

Yes,  so fact is stronger than fiction in this case !

I believe there was a plan to extend the canal to Chesham, something like 19 locks were proposed..........the River Chess is now flowing strongly (April 2021).