Leaking accumulator - help!

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think we really need to see all that parts laid out. I think there may be a rubber washer missing but can't be sure. To be honest it looks a bit of a bodge to me and I can't think of any "houshold2 items that would take the place of PTFE tape, not that I think the lack of  it is the problem.

I'll take a picture.  The brass fitting I took off the accumulator has ptfe tape in the thread, so that's why I assumed that.  Give me 2 minutes

I think the end of the brass thing that screws  into the plastic fitting should have an O ring inside it to seal against the pipe. There seems to be a plastic "flange" there in the image. If its leaking between the new plug and the brass bit then I fear you need PTFE tape or boss white & hemp. PTFE tape is easier. If that is where its weeping then if you have some breakfast cereal with a plastic inner bag try cutting a long strip of that to wind around the plug, maybe a strip from a polythene freezer bag would do. I suspect the plug is a parallel thread and the accumulator uses a taper.

If the leak is from the plastic pipe joint then I don't know what to suggest.

Update:  At 3:30 I discovered that the nearest place I could get PTFE tape was an hour and a quarter walk away.  And the place closes at 5:00.  So of I went at a brisk trot to get there before it closed.  I made it, and after a 2 and a half hour round trip, and returned with a roll of tape - cost 60p!  I've now refitted it all and, hallelujah, it seems to be holding (touch wood).  Well it's been a rather tiring day.  My phone tells me I've walked 28,000 steps, which is good exercise, and best of all, I get to have a shower now.

Thanks everyone for all your help - especially Tony, I think I owe you a pint some time.

33 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

Update:  At 3:30 I discovered that the nearest place I could get PTFE tape was an hour and a quarter walk away.  And the place closes at 5:00.  So of I went at a brisk trot to get there before it closed.  I made it, and after a 2 and a half hour round trip, and returned with a roll of tape - cost 60p!  I've now refitted it all and, hallelujah, it seems to be holding (touch wood).  Well it's been a rather tiring day.  My phone tells me I've walked 28,000 steps, which is good exercise, and best of all, I get to have a shower now.

Thanks everyone for all your help - especially Tony, I think I owe you a pint some time.

Well done

So now when you get your new accumulator, tape the thread, 3 full turns, wound  the same way round as the thread,  and screw it into the Hep2O fitting on the plastic pipe.

You have a 15mm Hep2O to 3/4" BSP Female fitting on the pipe.

Difficult to make you a plumber overnight, it used to be a 5 ear apprenticeship, but you are doing quite well !

You will need to set the air pressure in the new accumulator. Fit it as it comes pre charged (hopefully! ) and switch the pump on. Let water out of all the taps to get rid of the air. Close all taps and let the pump run until it stops.  Very, very, slowly release air from the Shrader valve on the top until the pump just starts again. Done.  If you let too much air out top it up again to about 40 psi with a bike pump. And try again.

11 hours ago, David Mack said:

That's why I have a folding bike on the boat.

I do normally have a bike with me.  But for complicated reasons I won't go into here, my bike is currently elsewhere.

11 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

So now when you get your new accumulator, tape the thread, 3 full turns, wound  the same way round as the thread,  and screw it into the Hep2O fitting on the plastic pipe.

You have a 15mm Hep2O to 3/4" BSP Female fitting on the pipe.

Difficult to make you a plumber overnight, it used to be a 5 ear apprenticeship, but you are doing quite well !

You will need to set the air pressure in the new accumulator. Fit it as it comes pre charged (hopefully! ) and switch the pump on. Let water out of all the taps to get rid of the air. Close all taps and let the pump run until it stops.  Very, very, slowly release air from the Shrader valve on the top until the pump just starts again. Done.  If you let too much air out top it up again to about 40 psi with a bike pump. And try again.

I've read this a few times and I think I understand.  Thanks.