Leaking accumulator - help!

Featured Posts

I noticed my pump (Jabsco Parmax 2.9) was cycling this afternoon.  I was on the move so I turned the main switch off and left it to investigate when I moored up.  When I checked the accumulator (the round metal thing next to the pump?) was peeing out water all over the place :( It was leaking from the join around the middle.

I turned the pump back off and also the main cock from the water tank and dried things out as best I could.  I then tried to bodge it with some duck tape, which predictably didn't work.

So I'm looking for advice.  Presumably I need a new accumulator?  Or can I repair this another way?  I've got a tube of epoxy putty arriving at an amazon locker tomorrow which I'll try to patch it with.

I'm currently at Lapworth and heading down Hatton Locks tomorrow.  The next obvious place to get a new accumulator is the chandlery at Braunston but that's at least a couple of days away, and to be honest I'd rather let someone fit it for me if possible.  Does anyone know a reliable mobile engineer round here, or a boatyard who might be able to do it?  Saltisford?  Kate Boats?

All advice gratefully received, but be warned I've a track record of cocking things like this up when I try to do it myself.

I'll try and post a photo of the accumulator.

Replace, any competent boatyard should be able to fit, stop cock off, pump off, drain taps and leave open, let pressure out of existing accumulator. 

Eat strawberries.

Replace like for like*(cant see pipes but hopefully just push fit, so take fittings from accumulator and stick on new one.

If its loosing water from the steel shell it has already leaked from the rubber bladder inside, its scrap, you need a new one.

Incidentally the red ones are usually for sealed central heating systems and not for fresh potable water at all.

If you cannot find one quickly, put a treaded plug, most likely 3/4" BSP thread, in the tee that it is screwed into instead. Then you can have water but will have a burping pump and may be an initial weep from the PRV when you warm the calorifier up.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

9 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Replace, any competent boatyard should be able to fit, stop cock off, pump off, drain taps and leave open, let pressure out of existing accumulator. 

Eat strawberries.

Replace like for like*(cant see pipes but hopefully just push fit, so take fittings from accumulator and stick on new one.

Thanks.  Can you recommend anywhere round here?

7 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Incidentally the red ones are usually for sealed central heating systems and not for fresh potable water at all.

Although true, I reckon out of all the boat accumulators I have seen, 2/3 are the red ones.

6 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If its loosing water from the steel shell it has already leaked from the rubber bladder inside, its scrap, you need a new one.

If you cannot find one quickly, put a treaded plug, most likely 3/4" BSP thread, in the tee that it is screwed into instead. Then you can have water but will have a burping pump and may be an initial weep from the PRV when you warm the calorifier up.

Is it this what you mean? https://www.plasticpipeshop.co.uk/34-BSP-Threaded-Plug_p_4270.html

The problem is I can't even see anything.  The accumulator is sitting on a wooden base and is boxed in underneath.  I can't even work out how to remove the accumulator right now.  And I'm tired!  I'll be able to look again in the morning.

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

Any Toolstation, Screwfix or p;umbers merchants. Just make sure its for potable water, often but not always blue. 5 litres or larger will do.

Ahh, so it's not a specifically boat thing?

1 minute ago, Dave_P said:

Is it this what you mean? https://www.plasticpipeshop.co.uk/34-BSP-Threaded-Plug_p_4270.html

The problem is I can't even see anything.  The accumulator is sitting on a wooden base and is boxed in underneath.  I can't even work out how to remove the accumulator right now.  And I'm tired!  I'll be able to look again in the morning.

I would try griping it and see if it will unscrew anticlockwise.

Just now, Dave_P said:

Only if you want an extra nought on the price.

• Haha 1

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

I would try griping it and see if it will unscrew anticlockwise.

The accumulator does seem to turn, but I was nervous of doing that!

Are they called something else?

Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 19.27.25.png

The accumulator does seem to turn, but I was nervous of doing that!

Typically, a brass "foot" is screwed to the floor with a compression fitting on either side and a BSP female thread on the top. The accumulator screws into the female thread BUT one can never be certain about what has been done in an individual case so it's  a question of careful inspection.

Jointing compound may have been used on the thread so it may be well stick in place.

I've ordered a threaded stopper thingy which should arrive at an amazon locker near here by 1pm tomorrow.  I can try and put that on so I can have a wash!  Then I can wait until I get to Braunston and pick up this:

Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 19.39.51.png

Is that the right thing?

9 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

I've ordered a threaded stopper thingy which should arrive at an amazon locker near here by 1pm tomorrow.  I can try and put that on so I can have a wash!  Then I can wait until I get to Braunston and pick up this:

Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 19.39.51.png

Is that the right thing?

Does it say for Potable water? Is so then yes, if not then no,  especially as it says a steel body and no mention of the internal coatng.

28 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

I hope so!

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Does it say for Potable water? Is so then yes, if not then no,  especially as it says a steel body and no mention of the internal coatng.

The water is contained in the rubber bladder, it should not come in contact with the outer shell,  until the bladder ruptures.

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

It doesn't mention it.  They also do a blue one which doesn't mention it either.  The advantage of MC is that I can go in a talk to them.  I could even take the old one in to make sure I get the right size. 

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I hope so!

Me too.

Thanks for all the help so far folks!

Update.  I got a threaded plug as recommended by Tracy as a temporary fix.  Manged to get the accumulator off but I can't get the plug onto the fitting.  It's the right plug I think but there's a plastic bit sticking up which prevents the plug from going on.  Can I cut this plastic bit off to get the plug on, or is it needed for something?

unnamed.jpg

unnamed1.jpg

7 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

That looks like a plastic pipe equivalent of a compression fitting, I don't know how it sealed to the accumulator and the new one may not screw onto it. Lets see the bottom of the accumulator.

There's another piece which I've found which I thought was part of the accumulator, a brass fitting.  I've taken that off and it all goes together now!  So I  put it all on and it's weeping.  I suppose there should be some ptfe tape in the thread?  I don't think I have any of that.  Any clever ideas?

2 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

There's another piece which I've found which I thought was part of the accumulator, a brass fitting.  I've taken that off and it all goes together now!  So I  put it all on and it's weeping.  I suppose there should be some ptfe tape in the thread?  I don't think I have any of that.  Any clever ideas?

I think we really need to see all that parts laid out. I think there may be a rubber washer missing but can't be sure. To be honest it looks a bit of a bodge to me and I can't think of any "houshold2 items that would take the place of PTFE tape, not that I think the lack of  it is the problem.