Battery operated nav lights?

tonyreptiles

Featured Posts

HI all, 

can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as battery operated navigation lights, suitable for the Manchester Ship Canal. I've Googled, but to no avail.

I don't particularly like how they look and so I'm reluctant to make them a permanent feature, plus the wiring is a bit of an unnecessary faff when they'll hardly ever be used.

Surely I'm not the only one in this position? A battery operated option would be a perfect solution for many boaters in my position I'm sure. 

Is there such a thing?

Thanks

Tony

4 minutes ago, tonyreptiles said:

HI all, 

can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as battery operated navigation lights, suitable for the Manchester Ship Canal. I've Googled, but to no avail.

I don't particularly like how they look and so I'm reluctant to make them a permanent feature, plus the wiring is a bit of an unnecessary faff when they'll hardly ever be used.

Surely I'm not the only one in this position? A battery operated option would be a perfect solution for many boaters in my position I'm sure. 

Is there such a thing?

Thanks

Tony

Yes there is, thay are not actually (legally) Colregs compliant but its not easy to achieve complaince with a NB

LED navigation lamps - battery powered, magnetically attached - Boat Equipment - Canal World

37 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes there is, thay are not actually (legally) Colregs compliant but its not easy to achieve complaince with a NB

LED navigation lamps - battery powered, magnetically attached - Boat Equipment - Canal World

We looked at these but were worried that they would not be compliant or up to spec for our 61ft boat.

Am I right in thinking (from reading the thread link) that Colregs compliance is 'nice to have' but not strictly necessary for narrowboats on the Manchester Ship Canal?

If these lamps will do the trick then they're just what we need. 

Thanks again

Tony

4 minutes ago, tonyreptiles said:

We looked at these but were worried that they would not be compliant or up to spec for our 61ft boat.

It is very difficult to get a NB to comply - ie your mast head light MUST be a minimum of 2.5 metres above the Gunwale

Here are the details.

Screenshot (250).png

24 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is very difficult to get a NB to comply - ie your mast head light MUST be a minimum of 2.5 metres above the Gunwale

Or 6m above the gunwale if your boat is longer than 20m. At that height, would they have to swing Barton Tank for you?

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

I have just taken delivery of a set of these "emergency" LED nav lights -- https://boatlamps.co.uk/collections/navigation-light-fixtures-incandescent/products/emergency-navigation-battery-powered-led-lights-set-of-3

I have bolted little countersunk ring-magnets (these) to the plastic backing plates so that I can pop them on the side of the boat if necessary (I have permanently fixed nav-lights, but belt and braces on tidal waters...)

Untitled.png

Edited by Bacchus

2 hours ago, Bacchus said:

I have just taken delivery of a set of these "emergency" LED nav lights -- https://boatlamps.co.uk/collections/navigation-light-fixtures-incandescent/products/emergency-navigation-battery-powered-led-lights-set-of-3

I have bolted little countersunk ring-magnets (these) to the plastic backing plates so that I can pop them on the side of the boat if necessary (I have permanently fixed nav-lights, but belt and braces on tidal waters...)

Untitled.png

Thanks Bacchus,

They look like they should work. I assume these will be sufficient for the Manchester Ship Canal.

How fussy are they about visibility distances etc? 

2 hours ago, tonyreptiles said:

Thanks Bacchus,

They look like they should work. I assume these will be sufficient for the Manchester Ship Canal.

How fussy are they about visibility distances etc? 

You are worrying too much. You need prove that you have lights to pass the test.

Mine have never been fitted to the boat.

You must make your passage during daylight hours so you won't need them.

We travelled on the ship canal in 2017, we had to have a "survey" done by a surveyor recognised by Peel Holdings, which was a joke. He made no mention of requiring navigation lights and our boat did not have them. As we were transiting the Mersey we used a pilot and he also made no mention of navigation lights. I suppose the rules may have changed in the years since we travelled on the MSC but as you can't (couldn't) travelled after dark why the need for navigation lights.

7 minutes ago, KenK said:

We travelled on the ship canal in 2017, we had to have a "survey" done by a surveyor recognised by Peel Holdings, which was a joke. He made no mention of requiring navigation lights and our boat did not have them. As we were transiting the Mersey we used a pilot and he also made no mention of navigation lights. I suppose the rules may have changed in the years since we travelled on the MSC but as you can't (couldn't) travelled after dark why the need for navigation lights.

I was told that if you happen upon fog or reduced visibity you require nav lights.

If you should break down you coule be reqired to use nav lights

We did the trip from Manchester to Ellesmere Port Boat Museum in our 62ft Nb in 2019 without navigation lights. The surveyor said they are only required when travelling in darkness or poor visibility. I think the Peel Ports Induction Pack terms say this too.

On 29/03/2021 at 07:39, Bacchus said:

Untitled.png

I saw these on Google too. Any good? Let us know when you've had the chance to use then. Cheers

1 hour ago, Jonkx said:

I saw these on Google too. Any good? Let us know when you've had the chance to use then. Cheers

If you NEED navigation light why not have ones that comply with the regulations, if you DON'T need them why bother at all

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Jonkx said:

Hi @Jonkx - I kinda hope never to use them because that would mean I was out on the water at night with an electrical failure, but they certainly seem very bright, and the plastic baffles will provide the required arc of visibility.

I bought some replacement bulbs from the same place - LEDs manufactured to fit common marine fittings in downlighters etc. which I am certainly very happy with! Remove the old incandescents, replace them with the LEDs, job done. Incandescents as spares in the locker with the nav lights (c:

• Happy 1