Keeping the cat alive

jetzi

Featured Posts

A good source of hessian sacks if anyone is heading up the GU is one of the units that back onto the canal in Hemel (bridge 153).

Smith's Coffee company obviously deal with large amounts of coffee beans and don't seem to object to passing boaters waving at them through the back door (which is usually open in nice weather) and asking for some empty sacks

• Greenie 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/03/2021 at 08:50, jetzi said:

As it's a boating forum I should explain that I'm talking about felis catus or common domestic feline, not a catamaran...

He's a bit dim and likes to scuttle up and down the gunwale, and it has happened two or three times that he lost his footing and landed in the cut.

He's a surprisingly good swimmer and each time swam half a boat length around to the bow. Fortunately for him I've been around to fish him out, because I'm not sure the soggy moggy would be able to climb out of the steep banks of most canals. And he surprisingly didn't have the wherewithal to meow, so it was just the splashing i had to alert me.

Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping my cat from drowning?

Some kind of ladder for him to get out by himself would be best I suppose, but it would probably also get quite dirty quite quickly. A more high tech solution would be a water-sensitive buzzer I could attach to his collar, but I don't know if such a thing exists. Any ideas welcomed!

The thing that occurred to me was one of they 'duck ladders' that you see in odd places where banks are smooth/vertical/high and locals have taken pity on the local foul/fowl population. Presumably for the benefit of chicks rather than adults who should be able to fly out if they apply their common sense. ??. How sophisticated and permanent it needs to be will depend on boat design, frequency of mooring and common sense of feline ?.

On 30/03/2021 at 16:25, Jess-- said:

A good source of hessian sacks if anyone is heading up the GU is one of the units that back onto the canal in Hemel (bridge 153).

Smith's Coffee company obviously deal with large amounts of coffee beans and don't seem to object to passing boaters waving at them through the back door (which is usually open in nice weather) and asking for some empty sacks

There are unfortunately many examples of the use of hessian sacks, cats / puppies and canals.

On 28/03/2021 at 22:56, Jackofalltrades said:

I just remembered something - turns out we double-booked. Going to have to cancel dinner. Sorry! We'll have to rearrange but we're really busy for the next... few years.

Shortly after getting married, a friend of mine made sure his mother-in-law saw him getting the dog to lick the plates clean then putting them straight back in the cupboard.  She didn't come round for a meal for years afterwards ... :D

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Shortly after getting married, a friend of mine made sure his mother-in-law saw him getting the dog to lick the plates clean then putting them straight back in the cupboard.  She didn't come round for a meal for years afterwards ... :D

Cold Water

A young boy was having lunch with his Grandfather when he noticed a few odd things about the dishes.

"Grandpa, why is this glass stained?", he asked curiously.
"That's as clean as cold water can get it", the grandfather replied calmly.
"Ok", said the boy, then noticed his dirty fork.

"Grandpa", he asked again, "Why is there food stuck to the fork?
"That's as clean as cold water can get it", the grandfather replied, same as before.
"Ok", said the boy before noticing his dirty plate.

"Grandpa, why is there food stuck on the plate"?
"That's as clean as cold water can get it". said the grandfather, cool as ever.
"Ok", and they went back to finishing their plates.

As soon as they were done, the grandson stood up and said, "I'll help wash the dishes".

But his grandfather turned down his offer, whistled for the dog and said, "come here cold water".

• Haha 1

I've always realised that dogs have owners but cats have members of staff.

We used to have a Yorkshire Terrier who decided to wander down the gunwale, then tried to turn round to come back - he didn't make it, luckily I saw him, stopped the engine so he didn't get "prop chopped" and managed to fish him out. That was the one and only time he ever tried that.